Didak_attack

All Australian
Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
From what looked like a Melbourne vs. Witches Hats wearing X colours 12 weeks ago, it's now feeling like one of the most open premierships in memory.

To be completely honest I'm not sold on anyone.

- Geelong - Yep gonna finish on top, have had some great results, but this is all to familiar. Absolutely classy team at their best, but I think their H&A position is often inflated by the balance of games they get at GMHBA. From memory this year included Melbourne, Freo, Brisbane, Dogs and St. Kilda. The MCG being a second home ofcourse means they are comfortable playing there too

There's zero wrong with that, Geelong are as entitled as anyone to play at their home ground.

Can't deny they do have a handy benefit of being one of three teams with their own ground, while still getting exposure at the G, so I do always feel their H+A performance looks better on paper than it has been. Doesn't deny the fact they are dangerous at their best.

Collingwood - Wildcard. I am obviously hoping we fall into the top 4. More confident against the swannies than I am vs Carlton (McKay and Curnow will massacre is if they get the chances.)

Only chance for us realistically will be finishing in the top 4, not entirely sure why but I want to play
Geelong week one. Maybe it's to have a test against the minor premiers as it would just enhance the belief if we got up. Anything from out in straight sets and up is possible.

Melbourne - Still the team to beat for me, but they will need to find consistency or will risk a team knocking them out. Their best has been the benchmark this year.

Sydney - haven't watched enough of them. Like Geelong have been a relatively consistent finals contender for years without getting the job done since B.B. (before buddy.) Now in year 10 A.B. Sydney are in a place that's been relatively frequent for them. Don't think they make the granny, but I wouldn't want to play them in a granny.

Brisbane - Big moment for them, I think anything short of a prelim would be a fail for their season personally, even if they finish outside the 4. Week one will give us a real indication.

Freo - if they miss the 4 I feel like they are a win round one, out round 2 type team this year. Think this is a leadup to a very competitive 2023 though.

Carlton - if they are fit and can head in with some momentum I'd say they can beat anyone on their day. Curnow and McKay would probably need to average 8+ between them in each final for them to win the flag.

St. Kilda - other than a good mid-early run have been a bit underwhelming. Be interesting if they sneak in.

Richmond/Bulldogs - Looks like the dogs are all but done now. But either can make the granny from 8th without a doubt. Think the top 7 will all be hoping St. Kilda can hold that 8th spot (with no disrespect intended)

At this stage I think the two teams that win the qualifying finals will play off (and would ofcourse become favourites to) but this year feeling like such a raffle, I think the shortest way home feels like the shortest way home is going to be the key.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Love this assessment - Pies are peaking too early, despite being told all of last week that they're in poor form because they've been struggling to get across the line against bottom 4 sides.

Also - too young? Great blend of youth and experience. We're also being told we'll fall off a cliff in 2 to 3 years when Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Howe retire.

More experienced clubs? Would like to see a list of finals played by player by team. It would be Geelong then daylight, with Collingwood on the second line.

Wowee.
Someone else might be able to tell me how often a team has won a grand final on the back of a double digit winning streak.

I see Collingwood like West Coast in 2015. Probably the funnest year year I had as a fan, just constantly winning when we weren’t expected to, rode it all the way to the grand final before finally coming unstuck. But the experience paid off three years later.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Going on last night, I'm picking Collingwood Vs Collingwood.
6C666AE2-CA34-42D6-8959-4F202854B20E.jpeg

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Finals is different but they’re surely the benchmark right now.

Feels like they’re a much more solid unit than previous years.
Oh definitely. But a bit of an upstart team like Collingwood or Sydney could give them some grief. I honestly don’t know. Melbourne are still hanging around but could be making up the numbers or could finally get it happening against Carlton. Who knows.

It’ll be interesting if we win the next two and play you in a QF. I still think it’s going to be won by Collingwood, Sydney or Geelong. We don’t have a forward line.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh definitely. But a bit of an upstart team like Collingwood or Sydney could give them some grief. I honestly don’t know. Melbourne are still hanging around but could be making up the numbers or could finally get it happening against Carlton. Who knows.

It’ll be interesting if we win the next two and play you in a QF. I still think it’s going to be won by Collingwood, Sydney or Geelong. We don’t have a forward line.
The safest bets are Geelong and Melbourne.

Your forward line isn’t playing crash hot footy, but it is there. They click with Melbourne’s midfield feeding them like they usually do and it’s lights out for anyone else in the competition, including Geelong.

Swans and Pies are unknown quantities and could be knocked out first week, or premiers. That’s the beauty of the ‘speculative’ option.

Lions just don’t ‘feel’ like they’ll be premiers this year. Too many different variables factored in against them. (form, consistency, MCG)

Richmond is the darkhorse for mine. Sneak into the 8, and I’d hate to face them. They’ve done it consistently in September. Add Martin alone into this line up and you’re having a sleepless night before facing them.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The safest bets are Geelong and Melbourne.

Your forward line isn’t playing crash hot footy, but it is there. They click with Melbourne’s midfield feeding them like they usually do and it’s lights out for anyone else in the competition, including Geelong.

Swans and Pies are unknown quantities and could be knocked out first week, or premiers. That’s the beauty of the ‘speculative’ option.

Lions just don’t ‘feel’ like they’ll be premiers this year. Too many different variables factored in against them. (form, consistency, MCG)

Richmond is the darkhorse for mine. Sneak into the 8, and I’d hate to face them. They’ve done it consistently in September. Add Martin alone into this line up and you’re having a sleepless night before facing them.
I’d be putting Collingwood above Melbourne as a safe bet. I genuinely thought we’d win well last night, just because we have the cattle, but, we actually don’t. I looked at the team stats again today and it’s bad. Dominant in so many areas yet can’t get up due to our forward line lacking total defensive ability.

Collingwood is dangerous because they are taking the game on. The backline moves it fast to wide targets where you deploy elite runners and constantly transition with your overlap. Our defenders were so out of their depth. You can’t zone off when a team rushes you like that, it only works if you turn it over, which you don’t. We needed our forwards to pressure so much more aggressively, we then need a big wall of talls through the middle and the HB line.

It doesn’t help that Ben Brown can’t defend and is totally out marked and out bodied. Weidemann is a dud and McDonald won’t play this year most likely. We probably need Tomlinson or Jackson as a FF. We are just so susceptible in our F50. Plus we can’t kick straight.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’d be putting Collingwood above Melbourne as a safe bet. I genuinely thought we’d win well last night, just because we have the cattle, but, we actually don’t. I looked at the team stats again today and it’s bad. Dominant in so many areas yet can’t get up due to our forward line lacking total defensive ability.
It was a spectacle for all to watch yesterday but I’m not buying into it too much. It was only Round 21, not a QF/PF etc. I’m definitely confident if we play Melbourne again in finals, but I’d be surprised if Melbourne weren’t the favourites going into a final against Collingwood considering the quality difference and premiership experience.
Collingwood is dangerous because they are taking the game on. The backline moves it fast to wide targets where you deploy elite runners and constantly transition with your overlap. Our defenders were so out of their depth. You can’t zone off when a team rushes you like that, it only works if you turn it over, which you don’t. We needed our forwards to pressure so much more aggressively, we then need a big wall of talls through the middle and the HB line.

It doesn’t help that Ben Brown can’t defend and is totally out marked and out bodied. Weidemann is a dud and McDonald won’t play this year most likely. We probably need Tomlinson or Jackson as a FF. We are just so susceptible in our F50. Plus we can’t kick straight.
13, 19 and 21 goals in your 3 finals last year. Your mob is capable of kicking goals, and have proven it in finals.

Remember the Eagles of ‘05/‘06? It was the classy midfield that did it for them in those 2 years. I rate this Melbourne side’s forward line ahead of theirs. Would be a bloody interesting midfield battle though between those two sides lol

You’re talking the day after a disappointing loss. I’ll ask you again next week after you emphatically beat the Blues - you’ll be far more positive, and rightly so.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know you’re underselling Collingwood, PieLebo87 but your style is cutting the mustard. Yes you’ve had a few close shaves, but after last night and with some decent inclusions I think you’ll be better. I am looking forward to the Sydney game next week. It’s natural to play it down, but Melbourne were in it up to their eyeballs last night and choked. We’ve got issues with basic skill execution, Gawn is doing this ridiculous hop and run to the right when he kicks for goal. It’s rubbish like that.

When you ratchet up the heat, your very aggressive press and style is going to hold up. Geelong are much sharper this year. I’d be gobsmacked if Collingwood don’t make a PF minimum.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
It was a spectacle for all to watch yesterday but I’m not buying into it too much. It was only Round 21, not a QF/PF etc. I’m definitely confident if we play Melbourne again in finals, but I’d be surprised if Melbourne weren’t the favourites going into a final against Collingwood considering the quality difference and premiership experience.

13, 19 and 21 goals in your 3 finals last year. Your mob is capable of kicking goals, and have proven it in finals.

Remember the Eagles of ‘05/‘06? It was the classy midfield that did it for them in those 2 years. I rate this Melbourne side’s forward line ahead of theirs. Would be a bloody interesting midfield battle though between those two sides lol

You’re talking the day after a disappointing loss. I’ll ask you again next week after you emphatically beat the Blues - you’ll be far more positive, and rightly so.
Well if we don’t beat Carlton you can get your red pen and mark us off. I am thinking we will, and I hope we take it out on them big time.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know you’re underselling Collingwood, PieLebo87 but your style is cutting the mustard. Yes you’ve had a few close shaves, but after last night and with some decent inclusions I think you’ll be better. I am looking forward to the Sydney game next week. It’s natural to play it down, but Melbourne were in it up to their eyeballs last night and choked. We’ve got issues with basic skill execution, Gawn is doing this ridiculous hop and run to the right when he kicks for goal. It’s rubbish like that.

When you ratchet up the heat, your very aggressive press and style is going to hold up. Geelong are much sharper this year. I’d be gobsmacked if Collingwood don’t make a PF minimum.
I obviously hope you’re right.

I’m just not having high hopes. A side simply shouldn’t be going from 17th to premiers. A coach in his first season (Scott aside) shouldn’t be winning a premiership whilst implementing a whole new game plan. Collingwood, on paper, aren’t a top 4 side, let alone premiers this year. Collingwood don’t not choke in Grand Finals lol

You’ll have to excuse me for not buying in and just being content with what is for now instead of what could be.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well if we don’t beat Carlton you can get your red pen and mark us off. I am thinking we will, and I hope we take it out on them big time.
You lose to the Blues next week, you’re in real strife. Round 23 v Lions becomes the sudden death for top 4 and you don’t want to be playing sudden death games in the H&A as that saps energy away from the group which should be used in finals.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I obviously hope you’re right.

I’m just not having high hopes. A side simply shouldn’t be going from 17th to premiers. A coach in his first season (Scott aside) shouldn’t be winning a premiership whilst implementing a whole new game plan. Collingwood, on paper, aren’t a top 4 side, let alone premiers this year. Collingwood don’t not choke in Grand Finals lol

You’ll have to excuse me for not buying in and just being content with what is for now instead of what could be.
Think of it this way, which is often the case with premiership teams.

18 - GF
19 - PF
20 - SF
21 - miss
22 - ?

What’s changed that much in 4-5 years? Window is still there due to quality of the list. In fact all you’ve done is added to make it better.

Richmond prior to 17 made finals in 13,14,15 and missed 16. We made finals in 18, bombed for two years, won it last year. Hawks before 13?

12 - Runners up
11 - PF
10 - EF
09 - miss
08 - flag
07 - SF

Mate! Come on. This is how form lines trend. Even Eagles in 18.

17 - SF
16 - EF
15 - Runners up

Finishing 17th last year means squat. Your club was shot due to Buckley and Ed driving you deep into the mire. So much off field stuff happening. I am telling you, you look back at the previous periods of premiers and they’ll always be in the mix.

Collingwood is / has been in the *en mix!

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood

18 - GF
19 - PF
20 - SF
21 - miss
22 - ?

What’s changed that much in 4-5 years? Window is still there due to quality of the list. In fact all you’ve done is added to make it better.

Richmond prior to 17 made finals in 13,14,15 and missed 16. We made finals in 18, bombed for two years, won it last year. Hawks before 13?

12 - Runners up
11 - PF
10 - EF
09 - miss
08 - flag
07 - SF

17 - SF
16 - EF
15 - Runners up

Finishing 17th last year means squat. Your club was shot due to Buckley and Ed driving you deep into the mire. So much off field stuff happening. I am telling you, you look back at the previous periods of premiers and they’ll always be in the mix.

Everyone’s got a different set of formulas around why Collingwood can or can’t win this year’s premiership based on previous season data. The one doing the rounds is our percentage and no side winning a flag with 106%. There’s multiple ways to look at it.

My views above are based on this season, which is technically the past too I guess.

Either way, it’s exciting and I’m loving the crunch games we’ve got for Rounds 21, 22 and 23 - this season has come alive!

So much can happen in the next few weeks and first couple of weeks of finals. There’s seriously no guessing who’ll be winning it this year, and it’s bloody great.

Kobe Gryant

extremely overqualified chemistry teacher
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
From what looked like a Melbourne vs. Witches Hats wearing X colours 12 weeks ago, it's now feeling like one of the most open premierships in memory.

To be completely honest I'm not sold on anyone.

- Geelong - Yep gonna finish on top, have had some great results, but this is all to familiar. Absolutely classy team at their best, but I think their H&A position is often inflated by the balance of games they get at GMHBA. From memory this year included Melbourne, Freo, Brisbane, Dogs and St. Kilda. The MCG being a second home ofcourse means they are comfortable playing there too

There's zero wrong with that, Geelong are as entitled as anyone to play at their home ground.

Can't deny they do have a handy benefit of being one of three teams with their own ground, while still getting exposure at the G, so I do always feel their H+A performance looks better on paper than it has been. Doesn't deny the fact they are dangerous at their best.

Collingwood - Wildcard. I am obviously hoping we fall into the top 4. More confident against the swannies than I am vs Carlton (McKay and Curnow will massacre is if they get the chances.)

Only chance for us realistically will be finishing in the top 4, not entirely sure why but I want to play
Geelong week one. Maybe it's to have a test against the minor premiers as it would just enhance the belief if we got up. Anything from out in straight sets and up is possible.

Melbourne - Still the team to beat for me, but they will need to find consistency or will risk a team knocking them out. Their best has been the benchmark this year.

Sydney - haven't watched enough of them. Like Geelong have been a relatively consistent finals contender for years without getting the job done since B.B. (before buddy.) Now in year 10 A.B. Sydney are in a place that's been relatively frequent for them. Don't think they make the granny, but I wouldn't want to play them in a granny.

Brisbane - Big moment for them, I think anything short of a prelim would be a fail for their season personally, even if they finish outside the 4. Week one will give us a real indication.

Freo - if they miss the 4 I feel like they are a win round one, out round 2 type team this year. Think this is a leadup to a very competitive 2023 though.

Carlton - if they are fit and can head in with some momentum I'd say they can beat anyone on their day. Curnow and McKay would probably need to average 8+ between them in each final for them to win the flag.

St. Kilda - other than a good mid-early run have been a bit underwhelming. Be interesting if they sneak in.

Richmond/Bulldogs - Looks like the dogs are all but done now. But either can make the granny from 8th without a doubt. Think the top 7 will all be hoping St. Kilda can hold that 8th spot (with no disrespect intended)

At this stage I think the two teams that win the qualifying finals will play off (and would ofcourse become favourites to) but this year feeling like such a raffle, I think the shortest way home feels like the shortest way home is going to be the key.

Out of curiosity, why do McKay/Curnow concern you but Hawkins/Cameron don't? It would be the same principle wouldn't it?

Kobe Gryant

extremely overqualified chemistry teacher
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers

18 - GF
19 - PF
20 - SF
21 - miss
22 - ?

12 - Runners up
11 - PF
10 - EF
09 - miss
08 - flag
07 - SF

17 - SF
16 - EF
15 - Runners up

Spot on. It's more the fault of the media than anything. Pies are in this up to their eyeballs.

Like you said last year should be disqualified, it was set up to fail before it even began.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I feel like if Geelong at least don't make the GF now it's a decent choke. It's theirs for the taking.

Geelong v someone I reckon

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The odd thing about Geelong is how they don't have any players where I think "how the hell are we going to stop them". Melbourne for instance have Gawn but I can't think of the Geelong equivalent. Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing for Geelong that I don't think they have that extreme star power in their side.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
The odd thing about Geelong is how they don't have any players where I think "how the hell are we going to stop them". Melbourne for instance have Gawn but I can't think of the Geelong equivalent. Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing for Geelong that I don't think they have that extreme star power in their side.
Cameron?

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
I am more frightened of the Geelong two towers than I am of Gawn.

Back