Opinion Who is your club's best defender of the 21st century?

May 29, 2016
Tasmania
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Darcy Moore

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
This may not be a popular view, but I don't reckon Presti was far behind him.

You listen to the full forwards of that era, and many rate Presti as their most difficult opponent.
Could throw Heater into the mix as well.

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Says a lot for Carlton's century to date when Kade Simpson is rated their #1.

Understand you've got to acknowledge longevity; and yes he was heart and soul of Carlton. But as a true defender?!?

incorrect. It says a lot about the team at AFL.com.au who have undertaken this exercise.

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Probably says a lot about both.

Who would be Carlton's best if not Simpson?

most certainly it’s both.

firstly, and only a personal opinion, I don’t believe half back flankers should be included in the conversation. Simpson rotated between midfield and half back, in the same vein as Scotland. Both were in the more important category of players for the team in their time, but I wouldn’t regard them as a defender for this task. Also, I think their respective successful experiences in the midfield can skew opinions.

For a long time, Carlton’s back six was never stable. So often there were swing players who played decent periods in the back - Whitnall, Waite, Henderson, Walker. But no way in hell would they come into consideration.

I’d say Jamison was Carlton’s best, but he’ll be trumped by Weitering.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
James Frawley was an AA full back so, at his peak, he'd be our best.

For consistency over a long period, probably Neville Jetta. He's been one of the premiere lockdown small defenders in the league for the past few years, with only last year showing his age.
Would of been AA if he played in a better side, Ripper player

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The article has Andrew McLeod for us.

I mean, he did play in defence, but that doesn't mean he was a defender. He played there for his attacking attributes.

I would have Daniel Talia as our best defender of the 21st century.

1610890937543.png

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sam Fisher was St.Kilda's obvious choice.

Sean Dempster and Max Hudghton were great too. Hudghton never made any AA teams but was an elite stopper. In his prime was near impossible to kick goals against.

Geary not the most talented footballer, but deserves a mention for his 200+ games and going into his 5th year of captaincy.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Jayden Short

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I think you'd have to pick Glass for the Eagles. Anything else is false. McGov & Mackenzie (briefly) might reach some greater heights in individual seasons, but Glass put in a full career with us. McGov only really became a regular defender in 2015 during the injury crisis down back, so he only has a couple seasons down there.

Glass - 270 games
Emac - 147 games
McGov - 138* games

No contest for now, and I'd have concerns over McGov's long-term durability. McGov is a great pure footballer, a star of the game, but Glass and protege Emac had that dark arts man-on-man tentacled defending within keen awareness of their limitations that enthralls. McGov is a little more preemptive and able to beat forwards on their own terms, more in the style of a loose defender swingman which the others couldn't really excel in.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Leppich over Johnson makes sense for us. But Harris Andrews looks to be on the trajectory to over take them sooner than later

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The article has Andrew McLeod for us.

I mean, he did play in defence, but that doesn't mean he was a defender. He played there for his attacking attributes.

I would have Daniel Talia as our best defender of the 21st century.

Would personally have Rutten ahead of Talia, as good as Talia is. Also an honourable mention to Nathan Bassett.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Dougster

All Australian
Dec 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Robbie Tarrant has been our best. Arch was the man in the 90's. Scott Thompson gets an honourable mention

Let's rank the top 18 defenders of the 21st Century (so far):

1. Scarlett
2. Rance
3. Fletcher
4. McLeod
5. Lake
6. Gibson
7. Leppitsch
8. McGovern
9. Fisher
10. McPharlin
11. Clement
12. Bolton
13. Davis
14. Tarrant
15. Frawley
16. Wakelin
17. Simpson
18. May

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
most certainly it’s both.

firstly, and only a personal opinion, I don’t believe half back flankers should be included in the conversation. Simpson rotated between midfield and half back, in the same vein as Scotland. Both were in the more important category of players for the team in their time, but I wouldn’t regard them as a defender for this task. Also, I think their respective successful experiences in the midfield can skew opinions.

For a long time, Carlton’s back six was never stable. So often there were swing players who played decent periods in the back - Whitnall, Waite, Henderson, Walker. But no way in hell would they come into consideration.

I’d say Jamison was Carlton’s best, but he’ll be trumped by Weitering.
was going to say the same, simpson and scotland remarkably consistent over long periods but for pure defensive talent, sadly ruined by injury, Michael Jamison.

Back