Who is your clubs most "evasive" player?

Remove this Banner Ad

sussudio

Team Captain
Jun 27, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
darren jarman used to be a master at completely faking out a player, by feigning a handpass or kick. players evade tackles, bumps etc..in different ways, through side-stepping, leading an opponent under a ball, feigning a handpass, etc.. I'm interested to know peoples opinions about who they believe are some of the best evasive players who are currently playing.

I think Stephen Milne would be near the top of my list. so too David Rodan and Phil Matera. Robert Harvey is not the fastest of players, but sometimes it seems that it's impossible to lay a tackle on him. Leon Davis is also pretty slippery.

At West Coast it is hard to judge. We have Phil Matera, Ben Cousins, Daniel Kerr and Chris Judd who all seem able to avoid being tackled.

At Port, its currently a tie between Josh Francou and Shaun Burgoyne (Peter Burgoyne taking himself out of the running last Friday night :rolleyes:)

The predictability of Schofield's dummy handpass is amusing though, as is Dew's leg power getting him out of tackles. I dunno if its evasion if you just force your way through the tackle.

Troy Makepeace. Cannot tackle him.

Spider Burton. He might look funny doing it, but the 6'2 "athletes" trying to tackle look much more stupid.

Originally posted by i_luv_westcoast
At West Coast ,Daniel Kerr who seems able to avoid being tackled.

Tell that to Ben Cousins,he managed it the other night.

Seth.

Daniel Motlop (when on song) makes opposition players look like stunned rabbits!!

Works well in a phone booth - to borrow a line from a well known commentator!

Cheers

Gonzo

Diadak ahead of Leon Davis. He has "Daicos" TM sideways mobility.

I'm starting to realise why Port people rap up the Burgoynes. P Burtgoyne took a snap (in the third I think, for a point) running backwards as fast as most blokes run forwards.

Dew's evasive too, in the same way as Jarrod Molloy-defenders end up evading them.

Maybe less so these days but in his prime Rob Harvey seemed to elude more tacklers than any player I have watched.

David Rodan has the ability to leave would be tacklers in his dust but often seems to then run into another actual tackler. When he irons out that little kink he'll be at the top of this list.

Ben Cousins.

I swear to god it must be impossible to tackle him. Every time it looks like his in a pickle he manages to get out of there. Cuz has everything a midfielder could want except an accurate kick. Its reasonably good but it lets him down a bit at times.

For the Blues, Andrew McKay was a master.

From memory he didn't get caught holding the ball once in 1999. There was an article in the Herald Sun about his evasive ability.

This year he dropped off a bit.:(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno if I'm on the right track but on Friday night I noticed Lonie just grab the ball a couple of times and bolt out of defense regardless of whether players were grabbing at him.

But yeah, Leon was first to come to mind.

I guess the ability to break tackles and go through opponents is part of being evasive.

then there are the pacey ones, like lonie, david king, brad johnson and jason akermanis.

it's amazing how some of these players can make all those around them seem as if they're moving in slow mo.

Originally posted by noodle
chris judd.

that boy has got through so very heavy traffic this year.

Chris Judd.

Just look at the Rd. 22 game against North and you'll see what I mean...

Closely followed by Cousins.

Judd. His speed when he arches his back is enough to avoid tackling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back