Who is your current favourite Melbourne player?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
My Mum and two of my sisters have vaguely taken up AFL and the demons basically in sympathy with my obsession. They only watch sometimes when they remember and being in NSW means they don't get the constant media influencing their decisions. So I checked yesterday who they had adopted as their favourite players and why.

Mum likes Jeff Garlett - because he has a "lovely smile". (Also she has a social conscience regarding Aboriginal issues so generally tends to support Aboriginies in sport). Also Jesse Hogan "what a handsome young man" (giving me a slightly uncomfortable insight into her 'type' - ew) and, strangely, Colin Garland - for no reason she can amplify as far as I can make out. My eldest sister loves Gawn and has an Airedale puppy that she called Maxy Gawn. Another sister likes Petracca I think because she watched Queens Birthday and the commentary was hyping him big time so she hitched on the bandwagon as it swung by.

My sister in Tasmania has taken up Norf as her team, so she can get stuffed.

My Mum and two of my sisters have vaguely taken up AFL and the demons basically in sympathy with my obsession. They only watch sometimes when they remember and being in NSW means they don't get the constant media influencing their decisions. So I checked yesterday who they had adopted as their favourite players and why.

Mum likes Jeff Garlett - because he has a "lovely smile". (Also she has a social conscience regarding Aboriginal issues so generally tends to support Aboriginies in sport). Also Jesse Hogan "what a handsome young man" (giving me a slightly uncomfortable insight into her 'type' - ew) and, strangely, Colin Garland - for no reason she can amplify as far as I can make out. My eldest sister loves Gawn and has an Airedale puppy that she called Maxy Gawn. Another sister likes Petracca I think because she watched Queens Birthday and the commentary was hyping him big time so she hitched on the bandwagon as it swung by.

Maybe this time round on our trip to tassie she can be converted

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers

Do you have a brother? ... because if so, I feel sorry for him ... as I go about living my life with a wife and two daughters.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Watts was for mine for ages, but now everyone has stopped picking on him I'm not quite as horny for him as I used to be (Sorry Jack)
Yeah not the best choice of words there, but all the same... halfway through the 2017 preseason Jack Watts is once again my number one crush :)

2nd and 3rd spots go to Bugg & Vanders; I love good, honest triers who aren't particularly good at what they do. Bugg gets bonus points because of his immense s**t-stirrering ability.

Brayshaw, Oliver and Hunt are my three favourite players to watch.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Do you have a brother? ... because if so, I feel sorry for him ... as I go about living my life with a wife and two daughters.
Nope. My dad had to go through his life surrounded by women, so I have some sympathy. It must be like living in a Woody Allen film only without any role for Michael Caine or Alan Alda.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
More importantly, who's our new whipping boy? This is the question that keeps me awake at night. I'm nominating Milkshakes. Warning to everybody, I'm going Milkshakes come round 1, okay?

Wagner's injury throws a spanner in the works there. Possibly Bernie if his form declines?

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Every time I try to think of a favourite player, I keep adding to the list!

Hunt, Salem, Gawn, TMac, Daisy, Watts, Oliver in no particular order and a split hair width between them.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Nathan Jones (Before the hair loss and tatts)
Was super curious who this mysterious Nathan Jones you're talking about is...

nathan-jones-formerly-of-the-dandenong-stingrays-poses-after-being-picture-id56274257

Incredible really, he literally looks nothing like himself.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
TMAC. Those brain fades of his are infuriating and I can't see them stopping.
I am so seriously glad to read this on a different teams page! I've never been so infuriated with a player, and going by our experience your club will probably just keep picking him week in week out no matter what.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I am so seriously glad to read this on a different teams page! I've never been so infuriated with a player, and going by our experience your club will probably just keep picking him week in week out no matter what.

Has over 80% disposal efficiency, the clangers thing is a myth. Hurley (Who is a better overall player) averaged more clangers in his last full season than McDonald in his last two.

I'm not saying they don't happen but they stick in the mind, whereas the other 9 kicks that hit a target don't.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Has over 80% disposal efficiency, the clangers thing is a myth. Hurley (Who is a better overall player) averaged more clangers in his last full season than McDonald in his last two.

I'm not saying they don't happen but they stick in the mind, whereas the other 9 kicks that hit a target don't.

McDonald's problem is when he does screw up it's usually monumental and unfortunately overshadows the good work he has done.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

His problem is he aims for kicks that only the elite players can make, sometimes he pulls them off and other times it costs us a goal. He doesn't just bang it down the line though he is always trying to make something happen with the footy. Coaching staff probably don't mind it

Back