Who is your current favourite North player?

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Few beers deep & watching the Round 1 win against St Kilda (started the replay from half time).

Bloody hell Curtis Taylor has had an impressive run leading up to & including this game! Also nice to see Jy, Larks, TT & Jed get their hands on it. Makes me feel confident heading to Sydney next weekend. I’m glad we’re playing these guys now. I like that we have a challenging first month back.

Watching this replay, the excitement of the young guys coming through (combined with Ziebs coming off the ground early in the third quarter & injuries to Walker & then Ahern) & clawing our that win got me thinking about who current favourites are.

We’ve all grown up with favourite players, even if you’re 70 years old reading this you’d have a favourite that runs out each week.
To kill some time, I’m interested to know who you guys love out of the current squad. And if you can be bothered... why?

For me:

Favourite player for a few years now has be Ziebs. Love a player that goes f***ing at it & he won my respect with that early on.
Some very exciting kids coming through with Cam Z, TT, Larks, LDU, Jy, Bailey, WW etc. Also some guys who’ve been around for a bit or who I’ve liked at other clubs that I’m stoked we have in the trenches now.

I remember saying to some mates about ten years ago who I miss having a real key forward to go & watch & hope they kick a bag each week (or get first goal & win me some cash). For that reason I also love Browny. The Port game last year (people need to remember in the lead up we were a bit of a lost cause & they were supposedly finals bound once they’d swept us aside) was extremely satisfying given I was watching it at the game with my better half’s father & brother who are both Power supporters. 10 goals was very enjoyable.

Anyway, for me:

Top 7 favourite players:
1. Jack Ziebell
2. Jasper Pittard
3. Ben Cunnington
4. Ben Brown
5. Jy Simpkin
6. Taryn Thomas
7. Cameron Zurhaar

Rising Star (not in your top 7, but who should be there soon enough): Curtis Taylor

Fading Star (used to be in your top 7, but slipped out): Higgo. Nothing at all against him. Probably our second or third ‘best’ player & in our top four or five most important, but he’s just not a favourite of mine anymore with a few of the young hard lads bashing through.

Player you get most excited about when they have the ball in their hands: Has to be Taz Thomas now. Feel it will be for a while too.

Player you get most nervous about when they have the ball in their hands: Ziebell. In the middle. We win the clearance, but he hacks it straight to the opposition.

Who do you think our most important player right now & moving forward, who we need to hang on to: Right now Goldy & the future is Thomas.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Top 7 favourite players:
1. Ben Cunnington
2. Jasper Pittard
3. Cameron Zurhaar
4. Ben Brown
5. Taryn Thomas
6. Jack Ziebull
7. Jy Simpkin

Rising Star (not in your top 7, but who should be there soon enough): Nick Larkey, LDU, Curtis Taylor, Bailey Scott

Fading Star (used to be in your top 7, but slipped out): Jed Anderson - Nothing on Jed, he just sits in number 8. Love his aggression and growth as a player.

Player you get most excited about when they have the ball in their hands: Cam Zurhaar when he collects the ball just outside 50 and looks for the forward entry pass.

Player you get most nervous about when they have the ball in their hands: Dumont - I actually love froggy and would say he is one of our most important players, but I often feel he tries to bite off more than he can chew with passes. Great defensive work rate but can be poor and cause turn overs offensively.

Who do you think our most important player right now & moving forward, who we need to hang on to: Right now, Robbie Tarrant, moving forward, Jy Simpkin/Taryn Thomas

Top 7 favourite players:
1. Ben Cunnington - loves getting down and dirty
2. Cameron Zurhaar- loves getting down and dirty
3. Jed Anderson - loves getting down and dirty
4. Ben Brown - goals goals goals
5. Jy Simpkin - the man with the dancing feet
6. Majak Daw - 2018 was so exciting, get back there please
7. Robbie Tarrant - hates losing and is our general

Rising Star (not in your top 7, but who should be there soon enough):
Tarryn Thomas
Give it time but it time Tristan Xerri - I loved his mongrel is the pre season games (big man who throws his weight around makes the team stand tall)
Fading Star (used to be in your top 7, but slipped out): Goldy.
Is one of our best and maybe I sometimes expect more but when he drops easy marks or doesn’t influence more I get frustrated
Player you get most excited about when they have the ball in their hands: Toss up between Jy and Tarryn, both have excellent skills and vision

Player you get most nervous about when they have the ball in their hands: Atley when he is running with ball in hand, as he gets lost at times.

Who do you think our most important player right now & moving forward, who we need to hang on to:
Tough one but Higgins as he seems to get better each season and is a strong leader. Will ensure the young ones learn the correct way.
Hang onto Tarryn, as in the words of Bruce ‘Special ‘

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
The player I think is the most watchable when he's on is Mason Wood. As in, if every player on our list fired in a winning grand final and fulfilled their talent, he'd be the most Carey-like in his playing style.

In 2016 he was seriously looming as something great. Since then though..

If I can choose to picture any youngster transitioning to be a gun, it's LDU. If he was to become the player he looked like he could become in the U18s then look out.

In simplistic chess parlance, I want LDU to hurry up and reach the other side of the board and become the team wrecking mother****er he could be.

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Top 7 favourite players:
1. Robbie Tarrant
2. Ben Cunnington
3. Jy Simpkin
4. Cameron Zurhaar
5. Ben Brown
6. Jasper Pittard
7. Nick Larkey

Rising Star (not in your top 7, but who should be there soon enough): Tarryn Thomas

Fading Star (used to be in your top 7, but slipped out): Ziebs. I used to excuse his shortcomings but now that he is captain and first picked he has to stand up more. I thought Mason Wood would be up there but he hasn't come on.

Player you get most excited about when they have the ball in their hands: I am usually just relieved when we have the ball.

Player you get most nervous about when they have the ball in their hands: Goldstein when he's on the end of a posession chain!!

Who do you think our most important player right now & moving forward, who we need to hang on to: Cunnington and we must retain TT.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ben Cunnington and Robbie Tarrant.

Two no fuss, get the s**t done footballers who are also supremely talented guns.

Cunnington. I feel that will be a pretty popular opinion.

Other favourites of mine are Tarrant, Zurhaar and Jacobs.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
As a genuine tight arse, when I was a kid I'd make my favourite player as someone whose jumper number was 1-9 because then I'd only have to buy one digit to sew or iron onto my footy jumper. I'd also pick a young player so I wouldn't have to buy another digit for several years. I'm too old and cynical now to have a 'favourite player' but by that logic, if I'd have to by a number to stick on my jumper now it'd be #9 - Luke Davies-Uniacke.

As a genuine tight arse, when I was a kid I'd make my favourite player as someone whose jumper number was 1-9 because then I'd only have to buy one digit to sew or iron onto my footy jumper. I'd also pick a young player so I wouldn't have to buy another digit for several years. I'm too old and cynical now to have a 'favourite player' but by that logic, if I'd have to by a number to stick on my jumper now it'd be #9 - Luke Davies-Uniacke.
index.jpg

Back