Who is your favourite to win the Rising Star award?

Who is your favourite to win the Rising Star award?

• Nick Daicos - Neutral supporter

• Nick Daicos - Collingwood supporter

• Nic Martin - Neutral supporter

• Nic Martin - Essendon supporter

• Jason Horne-Francis - Neutral supporter

• Jason Horne-Francis - North supporter

• Jai Newcombe - Neutral supporter

• Jai Newcombe - Hawthorn supporter

• Josh Rachele - Neutral supporter

• Josh Rachele - Adelaide supporter

• Jack Ginnivan - Neutral supporter

• Jack Ginnivan - Collingwood supporter

• Jake Bowey - Neutral supporter

• Jake Bowey - Melbourne supporter

• Heath Chapman - Neutral supporter

• Heath Chapman - Fremantle supporter

• Josh Ward - Neutral supporter

• Josh Ward - Hawthorn supporter

• Nathan O'Driscoll - Neutral supporter

• Nathan O'Driscoll - Fremantle supporter

• Ben Hobbs- Neutral supporter

• Ben Hobbs - Essendon supporter

• Logan McDonald - Neutral supporter

• Logan McDonald - Sydney supporter

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Its still pretty early in the season but my top 5 would be:
Nic Martin, Newcombe, Daicos, Bowey and Chapman.
JHF & Rachele still in consideration but won't be consistent enough in their roles to win it I'd say.

I voted for Nic Martin (averaging 22 touches and 1.4 goals per game) plus his first game was super memorable being 27 touches and 5 goals. His knack for finding the goals really sets him apart from the other rising star contenders (other than Rachele who is more your true small forward).
I think maybe Newcombe might be the one though. He's just about the Hawks best midfielder now and if he solidifies that status by years end I reckon he'll win it.

Daicos was the early season favourite and he hasn't done anything to really hurt his chances but whilst he's been phenomenal for a first year player I think he probably needs a real eye catching performance or 2 to reinforce the early headlines.

Nothing bad to say about Bowey and Chapman but I think they've got much easier roles playing in the 2 top teams so far with lots of support. So I guess I just find that a bit less impressive personally.

Its still pretty early in the season but my top 5 would be:
Nic Martin, Newcombe, Daicos, Bowey and Chapman.
JHF & Rachele still in consideration but won't be consistent enough in their roles to win it I'd say.

I voted for Nic Martin (averaging 22 touches and 1.4 goals per game) plus his first game was super memorable being 27 touches and 5 goals. His knack for finding the goals really sets him apart from the other rising star contenders (other than Rachele who is more your true small forward).
I think maybe Newcombe might be the one though. He's just about the Hawks best midfielder now and if he solidifies that status by years end I reckon he'll win it.

Daicos was the early season favourite and he hasn't done anything to really hurt his chances but whilst he's been phenomenal for a first year player I think he probably needs a real eye catching performance or 2 to reinforce the early headlines.

Nothing bad to say about Bowey and Chapman but I think they've got much easier roles playing in the 2 top teams so far with lots of support. So I guess I just find that a bit less impressive personally.
Agreed, Martin and Newcombe well ahead of Daicos so far. Daicos paying $2! He's been terrific but the other two are doing a lot more damage.

Martin is as good on his left as his right leg, is the best kick at Essendon, Mercuri good. Can't believe how he was missed with his class and skill.

I'd like to preface this by saying I really like Bowey.

However, he's currently doing a decent job as a rebounding defender with neat skills, backed by the best team mates in the competition.

Newcombe and Martin are playing excellent football, doing a lot of the heavy lifting in bottom 6 teams and lead Bowey in most statistical categories other than overall victories.

I can't see him winning it personally. It's currently Martin, Newcombe and Daicos as the top 3.

I'd like to preface this by saying I really like Bowey.

However, he's currently doing a decent job as a rebounding defender with neat skills, backed by the best team mates in the competition.

Newcombe and Martin are playing excellent football, doing a lot of the heavy lifting in bottom 6 teams and lead Bowey in most statistical categories other than overall victories.

I can't see him winning it personally. It's currently Martin, Newcombe and Daicos as the top 3.
I don't think Bowey will win it as he is a half back flanker

It's a fair argument to say that it is easier to play well in a good team. But I guess the flip side is it is a lot harder to get a game and keep your spot in a top team

I like Newcombe, but he just needs to fix up his ball use a bit more in what I have seen of him. But his willingness to win the contest is awesome.

Daicos gets a lot of the ball and looks all class but as it stands right now you can't go passed Martin. 22 touches and 1.5 goals per game is super impressive for as kid

If it goes to anyone other than Jai Newcome you know the award is rigged and the sport is a joke. He is the clear standout at this stage and probably in line for Cleo Batchelor of the Year and quite possibly a future Melbourne Lord Mayor appointment as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the 2s on offer for Daicos to win the medal is almost overs.

$1.35 now. Hope you got on!

EDIT: Make that $1.30.
EDIT: Make that $1.18.

Last edited:
Back