Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Originally posted by PeteLX
How's about Afrika Bambaata? Grandmaster Flash? The Sugarhill Gang? They're all my fave's. Originators!:cool:

I didn't want to sound like an old fart but I would have nominated Grandmaster Flash and the Last Poets.

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
Originally posted by Santos L Helper
'Rappin Ronnie Reagan' from 'The Simpsons' was pretty cool.
Damn straight! And I gotsta get me one of those Beatmaster 2000's!!! :D

"It's Hammer!"

How's about Afrika Bambaata? Grandmaster Flash? The Sugarhill Gang? They're all my fave's. Originators!:cool:
...and (another one from left field) Blondie!!!

Oct 22, 2001
Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Other Teams
I hate football
Rapture was crapture.

I'm a fan of Blondie, but that song was complete rubbish. A rapper she ain't ... "mars ... bars ... guitars ..." That's bloody pathetic.

I've only ever heard one rap song that I like. And that was the FIRST rap song I ever heard ... "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash.

At that stage I didn't even think of it as a rap song because I didn't know what "rap" meant.

It was a great song. Very powerful. Very moving. The voice of the ghetto.

But that's ALL it was ... a great song.

Unfortunately it gave birth to a genre.

Since then, black American music has disappeared up its own arse. There was a time when African-Americans set the agenda of popular music ... but when rap came along their culture degenerated into a pathetic parody of itself.

I detest rap music .... with a passion. Consumerist rubbish. It's nothing more than the soundtrack to an advertising campaign for over-priced sportswear made by underpaid sweatshop workers.

As much as I love your song, Grandmaster Flash, you've got a lot to answer for.

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
Originally posted by Dr AlfAndrews
Rapture was crapture.

I'm a fan of Blondie, but that song was complete rubbish. A rapper she ain't ... "mars ... bars ... guitars ..." That's bloody pathetic.

I've only ever heard one rap song that I like. And that was the FIRST rap song I ever heard ... "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash.
I agree. I really should have put a wink next to my Blondie call cause it was a joke, but she was one the first popstars to "rap". It is a very funny song and the film clip rocks! :D

Gotta love The Message. Funny how that was near enough to the first ever rap song ever and it got everything so right!

Fear of a Black Planet and Straight Outta Compton are albums that I consider to be as powerful. Another artist called Paris that noone here would know released an album called The Devil Made Me Do It in 1989, which was extremely powerful and simply an awesome album!

Love how the kids lap up the top 40 stuff thrown at 'em and call it rap! It's pop lads!!!

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Del tha funky homosapien.

mandy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2001
Heaven
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Originally posted by FIGJAM
Gotta love The Message. Funny how that was near enough to the first ever rap song ever and it got everything so right!

"Don't push me coz I'm close to the edge
I'm trying not to lose my head,
It's like a jungle sometimes
It makes me wonder how I keep from going under"

coxon

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
How's about Afrika Bambaata?

ah yeah.. Afrika Bambaata... del the funky homosapien... feature quite prominently in Gorillaz stuff.... as well as Nathaniel Merriweather stuff... 'Lovage'... 'Handsome boy modelling school'...

frickin top stuff...

RacerX

All Australian
Mar 25, 2001
Myaree
Other Teams
Fremantle Dockers
Originally posted by Sly77

In all seriousness (hey I am an accountant afterall) - wasnt Tone Loc a little "soft" to be called rap?

Tone Loc, thats the guy. He is a one album legend!

Calling him soft is a bit harsh. He was one of the first rappers to make it big in the mainstream industry. Think of him as a trailblazer opening new markets to the rappers that followed.

or maybe its just me....:eek:

AirG

Debutant
Jan 31, 2002
perth
Kurrupt??? Thr guys got nothing but some funky beats!
You seemed to have mised some east coast rappers like:
Prodigy of MOBB DEEP
Havoc of MOBB DEEP
Method Man
Redman ( the two most talented artists around!)
Raekone of Wu
Ghostface of Wu
Common
Copone N Noreaga
M.O.P. these guys are mad!
Jadakiss ...........i could go on and on and on but i think youv really missed the talent in your servey.
If you havn heard any of these guys dowload and enjoy some "RAP" and Hip Hop the way it should be heard........

Originally posted by Dr AlfAndrews
Rapture was crapture.

At that stage I didn't even think of it as a rap song because I didn't know what "rap" meant.

It was a great song. Very powerful. Very moving. The voice of the ghetto.

But that's ALL it was ... a great song.

Unfortunately it gave birth to a genre.

Since then, black American music has disappeared up its own arse. There was a time when African-Americans set the agenda of popular music ... but when rap came along their culture degenerated into a pathetic parody of itself.

I detest rap music .... with a passion. Consumerist rubbish. It's nothing more than the soundtrack to an advertising campaign for over-priced sportswear made by underpaid sweatshop workers.

As much as I love your song, Grandmaster Flash, you've got a lot to answer for.

Rapture CRAP. I don't think so. Sure the lyrics were weird, but the lyrics to "I am the Walrus" are weird too.
Anyway one of the reason I dislike most rap songs is due to the pathetic, "Aren't I great" lyrics that most of these no talent "theives" pander about. They are no better than Mum's attempt, and at least she doesn't have her head up her own butt.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Originally posted by AirG
Kurrupt??? Thr guys got nothing but some funky beats!
You seemed to have mised some east coast rappers like:
Prodigy of MOBB DEEP
Havoc of MOBB DEEP
Method Man
Redman ( the two most talented artists around!)
Raekone of Wu
Ghostface of Wu
Common
Copone N Noreaga
M.O.P. these guys are mad!
Jadakiss ...........i could go on and on and on but i think youv really missed the talent in your servey.
If you havn heard any of these guys dowload and enjoy some "RAP" and Hip Hop the way it should be heard........

Yeah the poll is very west coast orientated...i like both, like a bit of Wu, Mobb Deep and i like Snoop, Dre, Warren G etc

OutKast

All Australian
Mar 5, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Man Utd
Originally posted by jod23

Yeah the poll is very west coast orientated...

Agreed, no mention of any Southern Rap/Hip Hop artists either such as Nelly, Ludacris, Mystikal, OutKast, Bubba Sparxxx, Petey Pablo, Cee-Lo to name a few...

Back