Who owns the AFL/VFL archive of games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks for the replies. No I don't plan a break in :)

Therefore footage of a game from 1969 would be owned by Channel 7?

So my next questions should probably go to Channel 7 or the AFL but I'll ask them here first:

Would a member of the general public be able to either borrow a copy of the game or view it inhouse?
If I paid a fee to watch it or borrow it, would/should the AFL(VFL) get a % cut?
Would there be an index of the games you could search?
A game from 1969 would have been shot on 16mm film. Would it have been transferred to either VHS(or BETA), or a digital format?

Thanks for the replies. No I don't plan a break in :)

Therefore footage of the game from 1969 would be owned by Channel 7?

So my next questions should probably go to Channel 7 or the AFL but I'll ask them here first:

Would a member of the general public be able to either borrow a copy of the game or view it inhouse?
If I paid a fee to watch it or borrow it, would/should the AFL(VFL) get a % cut?
Would there be an index of the games you could search?
A game from 1969 would have been shot on 16mm film. Would it have been transferred to either VHS(or BETA), or a digital format?

trying to obtain footage from Channel 7 has not been easy, i should know, i have been trying to obtain footage for a few years from ch 7. It seems to be common knowledge that ch 7 lost a lot of footage many years ago when a fire went thru their sth melb studio, so that makes things tougher.To try to answer some of your queries, you cannot borrow any footage they have, if they do indeed have what you are looking for, they will notify you of how much footage they have, and how much it would cost to copy it for you.

A few years ago, i obtained several Hawthorn finals from 1983-1986 at a cost of over $200 per game.

I would be very surprised if ch 7 could help you with 1969 footage, perhaps you should contact the abc, who have a lot of footage available, a bit from the '60s and early '70s, then a lot from 1982-1986. i don't know the exact website address of the top of my head, but if you do a google search on ABC CONTENT SALES, that should get you started.

If the abc do not have what you are looking for, then you will struggle to find it, other than going onto various Carlton forums to look for anyone who somehow may have it. good luck with your search.

trying to obtain footage from Channel 7 has not been easy, i should know, i have been trying to obtain footage for a few years from ch 7. It seems to be common knowledge that ch 7 lost a lot of footage many years ago when a fire went thru their sth melb studio, so that makes things tougher.To try to answer some of your queries, you cannot borrow any footage they have, if they do indeed have what you are looking for, they will notify you of how much footage they have, and how much it would cost to copy it for you.

A few years ago, i obtained several Hawthorn finals from 1983-1986 at a cost of over $200 per game.

I would be very surprised if ch 7 could help you with 1969 footage, perhaps you should contact the abc, who have a lot of footage available, a bit from the '60s and early '70s, then a lot from 1982-1986. i don't know the exact website address of the top of my head, but if you do a google search on ABC CONTENT SALES, that should get you started.

If the abc do not have what you are looking for, then you will struggle to find it, other than going onto various Carlton forums to look for anyone who somehow may have it. good luck with your search.

Thanks for your help.
I'm shocked at how much they charged you for those 82-86 games.
Interesting about the fire seeing as any 16mm film would have been a massive firehazard if it wasn't stored correctly...

I wonder how they store the 16mm now? I'm thinking the National Film and Sound Archive would be interested too. I wonder if they could be persuaded to donate the remaining footage they have and allow the NFASA to do the transferring. For a fee of course:rolleyes:

So I took my own advice and checked NFASA.
http://colsearch.nfsa.gov.au/nfsa/s...=0;parentid=;query=vfl;querytype=;resCount=10

They don't have the game I want though.

I've got the 1969 GF on DVD if you're interested. I won't spoil it for you by telling you who won. :p

It seems to be common knowledge that ch 7 lost a lot of footage many years ago when a fire went thru their sth melb studio, so that makes things tougher.

The old wives tale which gets a run every now and again is that a great deal of priceless Channel 7 sports footage (VFL, NSWRL, ATCC & Bathurst, and the like) in the early years was either taped over, or used in part as backfill in the construction of a Sydney tennis court.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got the 1969 GF on DVD if you're interested. I won't spoil it for you by telling you who won. :p
hehe the one and only
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

you can get any game from the 90's on name a game. thats were i got the whole season of the hawks 96 season. i got the queens birthday clash between collingwood and st kilda as well
Those charging $40 per game is a Rip-off:mad:

I've spoken to someone who worked for Channel 7 in the 90s who said that he and others were told one day to take all the 16mm footage stored in a warehouse across the road from the studios to the tip.

I asked him which tip but he couldn't remember. He did say however that he grabbed about 10 or so reels and he still has them at home.

I asked him who he thinks owns that footage and he said that he did, Ch7 threw them out.

The other interesting thing he said was that in the late 60s, video tape was a new format. He says that some games may have been shot on video tape, then transferred to 16mm for archival purposes, the opposite of what would have occurred until digital archiving became possible.

I wonder where that tip used to be? Probably home to a flock of high rise appartments now.

Well how much is this AFL Films thing?

AFL Films source and edit specific highlights onto dvd, digital betacam etc so there is production costs involved. If you want something specific ie. Gary Ablett Snr's career highlights or great shots of the MCG from the helicopter for whatever reason, AFL Films is the place to get it.

If you want full copies of matches, name a game is your best bet.

To answer other people's questions, if you make a request for footage from AFL Films, the AFL generally charge a royalty fee on top of the other costs.

I've spoken to someone who worked for Channel 7 in the 90s who said that he and others were told one day to take all the 16mm footage stored in a warehouse across the road from the studios to the tip.

I asked him which tip but he couldn't remember. He did say however that he grabbed about 10 or so reels and he still has them at home.

I asked him who he thinks owns that footage and he said that he did, Ch7 threw them out.

The other interesting thing he said was that in the late 60s, video tape was a new format. He says that some games may have been shot on video tape, then transferred to 16mm for archival purposes, the opposite of what would have occurred until digital archiving became possible.

I wonder where that tip used to be? Probably home to a flock of high rise appartments now.

If you are still in contact with this guy you should ask him to send a copy of his footage to AFL Films, because I have phoned Channel 7 before and can confirm that approx. 95% of footage prior to the 1990's has been lost.

They don't even have most of the finals matches. Channel 2 did a much better job at preserving footage and they didn't even have the rights.. they just had the show The Winners...go figure.

re finals matches-

eg 1975/1976/1977/1978/1979 qualifying finals all gone except I know name a game has one final other than the g/f from 1976.

Wow, reading through this thread it is quite crazy to know that nearly all footage pre 1990 has been lost/deystroyed.

So much history is gone.

The AFL should launch a campaign to try and fill in the archival footage. Perhaps get the fans out there to hand in what ever recordings of games they have, and then rebuild the archives that way...

Another option you may want to consider for GF DVD's is department stores, the AFL store, and possibly stores like EzyDVD, JB Hi-Fi etc. Sometimes some have copies of older VFL finals in their audio/visual departments.

Exposes 7's old advertising slogan "The Home of Footy" as hollow jingoism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back