Analysis Who plays as 2nd key forward in 2021?

Who plays the second key forward role in 2021?

• Charlie Comben

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • Josh Walker

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • Robbie Tarrant

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Tristan Xerri

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Ben Mckay

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • other-someone we trade or draft in

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If larkey plays all 22 games - I’m confident we will have a functioning forward line

Xerri and Campbell aren’t forwards - walker would be a better option.
Larkey and 3/4 medium forwards would be our best option
I dont think its so much Xerri isnt a forward.
More he can cover the position and we're desperate to get him game time.
We're developing a team for the future and that means giving our current future ruckman AFL experience before he's expected to do the job fulltime.

Ziebell running around crashing into opposition defenders, be very wary and be very sore opposition defenders!
These days JZ will hurt himself more than he hurts defenders if he goes the crash and bash approach. JZ needs to use his experience and smarts to win the ball if he wants to keep playing.

If we are looking for some physicality in the forward 50 it will be Xerri - now there is a bloke that defenders will be looking over their shoulders to see where he is.

For me Xerri is where McKay was 12 months ago - he is 22 at the start of next season and we need him to play 12-15 senior games in a row to see what he can do in the ruck and as a physical forward.

It worked for McKay at full back and now it needs to be tried for Xerri as Ruck/Forward.

I dont think its so much Xerri isnt a forward.
More he can cover the position and we're desperate to get him game time.
We're developing a team for the future and that means giving our current future ruckman AFL experience before he's expected to do the job fulltime.
This

Xerri is going to need to start getting a few more Ruck minutes in 2021. This will mean that Goldy will spend a bit more time forward.

Noble has said that he’d like to play with 2 ruckman. The fact that we only have 1x200cm forward who will be playing every week (Larkey), allows this to work IMO. 2x200cm players rotating forward at any given time, is enough for where we are at.

Xerri is going to need to start getting a few more Ruck minutes in 2021. This will mean that Goldy will spend a bit more time forward.

Noble has said that he’d like to play with 2 ruckman. The fact that we only have 1x200cm forward who will be playing every week (Larkey), allows this to work IMO. 2x200cm players rotating forward at any given time, is enough for where we are at.

Yeah fine if Xerri is in the ruck but he’s to robotic for a forward.
Slow turning circle and can hardly get off the ground.
Love his attack on the ball/man but footy has moved on from having only one string to your bow

If Comben is upright, he's in.

During draft night, it was reported that Comben is being trained as a key back to shore up our key defenders for the next decade......

Would have to be josh walker as a fill in and ziebell as an undersized key forward.

that's not the news coming out of the experts, go listen to the national draft radio part that talked about our selections and the rationales around it

Are you saying that Nutjob isn't an expert?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that's not the news coming out of the experts, go listen to the national draft radio part that talked about our selections and the rationales around it

I’ll go with the person himself rather than some nuff nuff on the telly bro.

Draft gurus have literally f**k all to do with player list management. It is not their field of expertise.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Half of them can't pronounce our players names.
Comben is a key forward and should play the position if fit.
Was also spotted on crutches during the last training session so not sure what his injury situation is like.

I’ll go with the person himself rather than some nuff nuff on the telly bro.

Draft gurus have literally f**k all to do with player list management. It is not their field of expertise.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah let’s play a kpf as a kpd when we have no kpf other than larkey

Half of them can't pronounce our players names.
Comben is a key forward and should play the position if fit.
Was also spotted on crutches during the last training session so not sure what his injury situation is like.

in any case, he is a longterm long odds player, if his career kicks off great, if not, then bad luck. The perennially injured will no longer be kept longer than medically necessary.

Until someone presents as a suitable option in the VFL I think Ziebs and Zurhar will be the two mediums with Larkey + 3 fleet of foot forwards. I don’t think it will be a bad option either.
I think they may start Xerri to support Larkey to start the season. It will be a big season for Xerri and he will have to start showing that he has a future in the game.

Nick Larkey

Back