Analysis Who plays as 2nd key forward in 2021?

Who plays the second key forward role in 2021?

• Charlie Comben

Votes: 41 50.0%
  • Josh Walker

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • Robbie Tarrant

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Tristan Xerri

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Ben Mckay

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • other-someone we trade or draft in

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just play Larkey and five small/medium players. Zurhaar, TT, JZ and Taylor all good marks for their size.

If you can hit Brown on the chest on a lead, you can hit anyone. If we just move the ball forward a lot quicker while there is space in our forward 50 and instead of a high hang time bomb we just go to someone in space we can spread those 60 goals over a number of different players.

We so need another KP forward as ruck support. That is why Xerri probably takes the spot right now unless a decent forward is found that forces Larkey in the ruck

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We so need another KP forward as ruck support. That is why Xerri probably takes the spot right now unless a decent forward is found that forces Larkey in the ruck

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I’m assuming that’s the role they have earmarked for Comben

to play key forward with short stints in the ruck

j walker can do that too if needed

Not as keen on others with Xerri fwd.

He tries but I'd rather more pressure. Assuming Larkey playing of course.

Relief ruck or not at all.......I'm over relief rucks trying to be key fwds by our coaches, we've done it for many years now and it's horrible 9 times out ten.

Me.

At training once I played ruck in 1 drill because somehow I was the tallest in that drill.

There's no way I can do this at AFL level but a fallback position of KPF is feasible.
When they say you need a tank KC, it isn't that one assembled from Gloria Jean's muffin and latte deal down in the chaddy food court.

Not as keen on others with Xerri fwd.

He tries but I'd rather more pressure. Assuming Larkey playing of course.

Relief ruck or not at all.......I'm over relief rucks trying to be key fwds by our coaches, we've done it for many years now and it's horrible 9 times out ten.

Yeah, I don't see Xerri as a forward option at all. He was marginally better than Campbell but a long way short of AFL standard in that position. Long term project player in the ruck as he builds tank, strength, and technique.

If Comben isn't ready to go then Walker is the stopgap in my opinion. Would love to see Comben really make strides next year and stay healthy as his upside seems way beyond Walker and probably Larkey. Could take another year or two to develop into the position though.

I reckon it will actually be Ziebs and with extra space I think he might go alright. If he does one thing well it is make a contest and we finally have some small forwards that might capitalise.

That's fine as he's strong and good mark but I could outrun him and I'm no Bolt. He has to stay in the contest...........he goes to ground far too easily.

Top players keep their feet. It's been a massive problem his whole career imo.

Walker will be relief ruck and chf. He is a solid unit and can be the everywhere man.

Comben? fu*k me dead. Are we being serious, or what? He isn't going to be in our starting 22. At least allow him to develop.

I don't mind the Tarrant back to FF/CHF nomination.

All that being said, Xerri has the third letter of the alphabet in him, that we need.

If you can hit Brown on the chest on a lead, you can hit anyone. If we just move the ball forward a lot quicker while there is space in our forward 50 and instead of a high hang time bomb we just go to someone in space we can spread those 60 goals over a number of different players.
Adds a level of unpredictability without Brown there. Yes, Larkey will be targeted but now we have multiple quality players developing that can also be dangerous. Even when the ball hits the deck, there's a higher chance we can regain possession.

The twin towers stuff works when we're moving the ball at lightning pace with quick handballs and short kicks. Much like our 2012 and 13 season.

Having mobile forwards gives us the ability to maintain 1v1s. Keeps defenders on their toes. Thanks to the addition of Stephenson, he will be huge in making intercept defenders more accountable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be surprised if Sam Skinner joins us Thursday as a DFA

Last edited:
Just a thought, but if Xerri is our plan for replacing Goldie at some point, how about giving Xerri some more time in the ruck and move Goldie forward? Goldie is doing 90+% of the ruck at the moment, we could maybe bring this down to 60-70%, rest him forward and give Xerri some AFL ruck exposure.

I have watched Walker at Brisbane and he is not AFL standard as a forward. I say this as a fan of the bloke.

He's a bloody good backman and would have finished much higher in the BF if he was allowed to play down back all year.

I wanted McKay to be trialed in the front half towards the end of this season and couldn't understand why it wasn't tried. What could be the loss?

Maybe his confidence... he's just starting to play well as a backman lets not rock the boat yet....

I think we will see a lot of Xerri in 21. Goldy isnt getting younger and will need more help in the ruck (we still have a few more years of him being a gun though). Xerri always makes a contest and can bring the ball to ground which is pretty important and will benefit our small/ med forwards. We have been missing a ruck/fwd.

I think we will see a lot of Xerri in 21. Goldy isnt getting younger and will need more help in the ruck (we still have a few more years of him being a gun though). Xerri always makes a contest and can bring the ball to ground which is pretty important and will benefit our small/ med forwards. We have been missing a ruck/fwd.
I think Xerri won’t feature much tbh. I don’t see him playing anywhere other than ruck so would need a Goldy injury

I’d expect Comben or J Walker to take the second KPF spot unless we decide to go with more mediums instead

Just a thought, but if Xerri is our plan for replacing Goldie at some point, how about giving Xerri some more time in the ruck and move Goldie forward? Goldie is doing 90+% of the ruck at the moment, we could maybe bring this down to 60-70%, rest him forward and give Xerri some AFL ruck exposure.
This was talked about in one of the pressers, I think maybe the first QnA video with everyone included.
Xerri rotate to ruck with goldy playing forward because he is such a big target and vice versa.
If its not in our plans to give Xerri consistent game time in 2021 we should have drafted another ruckman and not recontracted him.
With goldy in his twilight years we can't hope to move forward if we replace him with a virtually untried player stuck in the reserve leagues.

At times during the season, Xerri looked like Campbell Mk II. in saying that, he has the characteristics to compete and provide a physical presence, his mark in the goal square when he injured his shoulder showed he improved as opportunity came his way.

Still, we likely have a number of marking targets in the forward line with Ziebell, Zurhaar, and Larkey. We won't need to rely on the Comben / Xerri combo for more than improvement in their craft in 2021.

Larkey and two of Ziebs, Xerri and Comben depending on form and availability.

Walker is cover for a bad run of injuries.

Back