Who Plays in The Ashes

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I'd give you this, I'd rather SMarsh than Maxwell. I don't get why we just don't stick with Cartwright. Scratch the ODI form (he's not a ODI cricketer right now), and he's hardly disgraced himself in test cricket, he's young and he's coming off a season averaging 55 for WA. Personally it is either Khawaja or SMarsh, not both, and Khawaja is a better bet.

NCN needs Shield form, period. Nothing would shock me, I mean Lehmann thought Wade was test quality, he thought Joe Mennie was good....

Averaged 37 and a century and a couple of solid knocks since his return. Not world beating sure but hardly worthy of an immediate dropping. Can't understand why he is not worthy of persisting with, especially with his talent. Smith should bowl him more as well but that is hardly his fault.

Since the Hobart debacle last year Australia has:

Beaten SA in the 3rd and Pakistan
Performed admirably in India
Had 1 shocker against Bangers when they were under prepared and distracted

Cartwright is more a bit part role player and should be next cab off the rank but I don't see the need for wholesale changes yet. (If the first 1 or 2 tests go badly than maybe).

Averaged 37 and a century and a couple of solid knocks since his return. Not world beating sure but hardly worthy of an immediate dropping. Can't understand why he is not worthy of persisting with, especially with his talent. Smith should bowl him more as well but that is hardly his fault.

Since the Hobart debacle last year Australia has:

Beaten SA in the 3rd and Pakistan
Performed admirably in India
Had 1 shocker against Bangers when they were under prepared and distracted

Cartwright is more a bit part role player and should be next cab off the rank but I don't see the need for wholesale changes yet. (If the first 1 or 2 tests go badly than maybe).

Sheffield Shield career batting average of over 50.

Another half century to SMarsh; four from four. He be trolling.

Clear class above.

Being dropped was a reasonable outcome of the Indian tour given his inconsistency (though he did save our arse a couple of times), but no reason his name should not still be in the frame for the national side in all three formats.

Clear class above.

Being dropped was a reasonable outcome of the Indian tour given his inconsistency (though he did save our arse a couple of times), but no reason his name should not still be in the frame for the national side in all three formats.

Certainly could still be in the reckoning for the one day side but he seems to have vanished as a consideration for that side.

It's funny. If he didn't bowl at all, he'd be rated much higher.
Of course he would. But because he's an "all rounder" people focus on his bowling far too much. He is first and foremost a batsman, but the all-rounder label makes it so that if he can't bowl to a certain level, he's suddenly "not a very good prospect". The last real all-rounder we had was Shane "LBW" Watson, and he was hardly a great player. Heck, the only really great all-rounder we've had would be Keith Miller. When people see the all-rounder tag, they expect a Kallis or a Miller, but those guys were once in a generation players. Hilton has the potential to be a very good batsman for us for a long time, but he's not going to be Jacques Kallis, which is the role Cricket Australia seems to want him to fill.

I would back in Nic Maddinson, Peter Nevill and Jason Behrendorff to take up the three vacant spots in the 12 man squad.

Maddinson has scored two hundreds already in the one day cup and looks in very good touch. He had his break away from the game and has refreshed the way he plays and his mentality, and now deserves another crack if he continues this form. Peter Nevill is the safest hands in the country, and CAN actually bat, which is a BONUS. And the Dorff took the Shield by storm upon his return late last year and seems to be continuing on after taking 4fa in the T20 against India. All in very good touch and all very good players.

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Handscomb
6. Maddinson
7. Nevill
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

12. Behrendorff

Maddinson has a hell of a lot he needs to prove through the shield before he should come into contention again.

I would back in Nic Maddinson, Peter Nevill and Jason Behrendorff to take up the three vacant spots in the 12 man squad.

Maddinson has scored two hundreds already in the one day cup and looks in very good touch. He had his break away from the game and has refreshed the way he plays and his mentality, and now deserves another crack if he continues this form. Peter Nevill is the safest hands in the country, and CAN actually bat, which is a BONUS. And the Dorff took the Shield by storm upon his return late last year and seems to be continuing on after taking 4fa in the T20 against India. All in very good touch and all very good players.

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Handscomb
6. Maddinson
7. Nevill
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

12. Behrendorff

Maddinson scored hundreds against Tasmania and the CA X1....come off it. Sure runs are runs, but zero shock he did nothing against the good sides. How about we stop picking players off limited overs form. Behrendorff is zero chance for the 1st test, he'd need a season of Shield cricket, and Maddinson is laughable.

Maddinson scored hundreds against Tasmania and the CA X1....come off it. Sure runs are runs, but zero shock he did nothing against the good sides. How about we stop picking players off limited overs form. Behrendorff is zero chance for the 1st test, he'd need a season of Shield cricket, and Maddinson is laughable.
Get what youre saying about Maddinson, but I did say if he continues this form into the shield. So say that he got another 2 hundreds in the first 3 shield rounds he would definitely be right in contention I believe. And Behrendorff would only be 12th man so not likely to play and I feel it would do him well to be around the test setup. Whats your selections for these positions??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know your ignorance is remarkable, but Behrendorff played out the shield season last year no dramas. If he's fit and current form (& history of shield wicket taking) continues then absolutely should be in immediate contention for the summer.

I know your ignorance is remarkable, but Behrendorff played out the shield season last year no dramas. If he's fit and current form (& history of shield wicket taking) continues then absolutely should be in immediate contention for the summer.

Not unless the three quicks plus Siddle aren't fit. All 4 are easily ahead

Get what youre saying about Maddinson, but I did say if he continues this form into the shield. So say that he got another 2 hundreds in the first 3 shield rounds he would definitely be right in contention I believe. And Behrendorff would only be 12th man so not likely to play and I feel it would do him well to be around the test setup. Whats your selections for these positions??

Cartwright at 6, SMarsh (as much as I hate the bloke) a chance.

In terms of quicks lock it in Ed- Starc, Haze, Cummins. Lyon the spinner.

Siddle and Sayers next in line after.

The first few Shield matches would be interesting. Shaun Marsh is in sublime form and if his form continues must be a chance.

The most comforting commments coming out of Lehmann's mouth is the admission we need to play six batsmen. I have been arguing this case for years, as have many others.

I have never understood the selectors obsession with all-rounders, especially when we have had no one of world-class putting their hand up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back