Discussion Who really needs a Clash Jumper?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
There has been arguments over the past twenty years about the need of Clash Jumpers. Why do we need them when we haven't for the last 100 years? How should wear them and against who? You can go on and on with the arguments, but you will know most of them. What we do know is that the AFL does have a rule about the need for clash jumpers but it isn't applied to each team the same way. When you talk about arguments about clash jumpers it is all there in black and white.

But there should be a rule that applies to every team in regards to Clash Jumpers? The rule should be if the away teams jumper clashes or is to similar to the home teams then the away team should wear a jumper that they design that doesn't clash with the home teams jumper. So with saying that which teams would have to wear a clash jumper against which team.

These are the 2016 AFL Premiership Season Home jumpers of each of the 18 clubs.
1ZcHbuT.jpg

When playing away, which teams will have to wear a clash jumper? Does those teams already have a jumper that won't clash, or will they have to create a new one?

I just think all teams should just reverse there home jumper and then you wouldn't need those shitty predominantly white jumpers
Basically what RFC did (even if it looks like the old WA State of Origin strip).

This is a can of worms that should not be opened on this board, in my opinion.

But in any case, we all have our own opinion on the matter and the AFL / Clubs don't seem to agree, especially when clubs like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond all have massive sticks pup their arses when they play against each other.

In my opinion, all teams should try and be in their Home kits first. This only works for Sydney and Gold Coast as the AFL deems red not to clash [hahah, Essendon] and this was shown well last night [though I do prefer the Royal v Red matchup over Navy v Red].

If the home kits clash, should look into wearing their clash / away jumper on dark shorts. This would look really good on heaps of clubs. For Example : Adelaide, Brisbane, Collingwood, Essendon, Fremantle, Ricchmond, Port, Sydney.

Geelong and North already do the above when they play each other, and go in the right way of wearing their white shorts as much as possible.

As for team wearing their white shorts with their home jumper. This should only happen if the home jumper already has a large amount of white on it. For example : Collingwood, Geelong, North, St. Kilda.

And the full clash option should only be available when all the above options are exhausted.

Furthermore, clubs shouldn't be white shorts when the other team has a large amount white on the jumper. And these rules should be applicable for both the home side and the away side, to make the matchup as aesthetically pleasing as possible for the viewers.

I hope that made sense.

I ought to add, there are many color blind people out there like me, and it makes it impossible to watch when you have 36 people running around no distinction.

The AFL discriminating against the color blind. At least, negligent.
I'm just grateful Freo haven't chosen to use an all green kit for away games.

I have a feeling there are threads that already cover this but I'll let it run for a few hours to see where it goes. Not sure what argument OP is making though
The point I am trying to make is do we, as a forum called Footy Jumpers and Graphic Design able to decide upon a Clash Jumper rule that the AFL can use. I brought in the picture of all the clubs jumpers to say if Club A was at home what should Club B wear when playing them. This argument has gone one since the introduction of the then Ansett Cup Jumpers back in 1996.

But why put my point of view across, allow everyone to have their say. Putting my point of view is just creating a thread that will have some people saying I like that point of view or your view sucks. This doesn't create any discussion.

A few points of view have been brought up here that can be looked at, like why don't teams wear white when away like in overseas sports or why don't clubs just wear a reverse of their current jumper when there is a clash.

If we can create a rule that the AFL could adopt that is workable it would be something. We have many people here that know something about jumpers. It may be opening a can of worms, but it is opened every season when one clubs jumper clashes with another. Let's get rid of the can of worms once and for all.

Leave this discussion thread going so everyone can put their thoughts down and we can have the discussion to get rid of the can of worms. There will only be another thread started when a clash happens this season.

I ought to add, there are many color blind people out there like me, and it makes it impossible to watch when you have 36 people running around no distinction.

The AFL discriminating against the color blind. At least, negligent.

It would be good to make sure your point is addressed in this discussion.
For instance, when teams with vertical stripes play each other, one team could have hoops.
When RFC and EFC play, the Tigers have a serviceable clash strip (better than EFC's, anyway)
Freo, Carlton, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Port, St K, Sydney, West Coast and Dogs don't clash with anybody else IMO.
Is this right or wrong from a colour-blind person's point of view?
(Edit: Include Crows)

I'm guessing the OP is trying to make a definitive list of what clashes and what doesn't? If so I'll take Essendon as an Example.

As the away team I believe Essendon need to wear the red clash jumper against the following sides:
Adelaide
Carlton
Collingwood
Fremantle
Melbourne
Port
Richmond
St Kilda
West Coast

Full home kit can be worn against:
Sydney
Gold Coast
and granted the home side wears white shorts*
Geelong
North
*otherwise red shorts would do the job

Home jumper with white/red shorts:
Hawthorn
Bulldogs

My only contentious sides against Essendon are:
Brisbane
GWS

Brisbane because the maroon is halfway between red and black (closer to red but still...), for greater contrast personally I would need to see Essendon is a light grey clash jumper. Although the AFL have deemed Essendon's home jumper to be appropriate.

GWS for me is an issue for nearly all teams that don't have a white base because including shorts it is predominantly dark on the front and light on the back. Essendon again can get away with the home jumper with white shorts against them but for me GWS need to choose charcoal or orange as the base.

For instance, when teams with vertical stripes play each other, one team could have hoops.
When RFC and EFC play, the Tigers have a serviceable clash strip (better than EFC's, anyway)
Freo, Carlton, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Port, St K, Sydney, West Coast and Dogs don't clash with anybody else IMO.
I'm not entirely sure, as I'm not colourblind, but people with the condition don't see in Black and white. Some may not see reds properly, or green etc. When Essendon and Richmond play, it would be possible to have one in their clash strip as it would provide enough of a contrast for colourblind people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not entirely sure, as I'm not colourblind, but people with the condition don't see in Black and white. Some may not see reds properly, or green etc. When Essendon and Richmond play, it would be possible to have one in their clash strip as it would provide enough of a contrast for colourblind people.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say (but failed).

I'm guessing the OP is trying to make a definitive list of what clashes and what doesn't? If so I'll take Essendon as an Example.

Your example was spot on - respect for recognizing your side should wear their clash jumper against 9 sides.

Unfortunately because of some weird out dated Big4 bias , the AFL is generally happy for Essendon, Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton to clash when they play each other. Ironically, it results in their games actually being visually the worst to watch.

I just think all teams should just reverse there home jumper and then you wouldn't need those shitty predominantly white jumpers
Was trying to post this image this morning but it wouldn't upload onto the picture site. I took the above picture and reversed all the home jumpers and this is what I came up with.
n6ITVk0.jpg

Any thoughts on what has been created? Would these be good enough for clash jumpers?

Well, im monochromatic, so im *'d. Everything is the same. Actual designs can help. Like vertical stripes versus a sash. But as noted in another post, some people dont see reds, or greens, or blue, etc. So a clash can affect some more than others still.

The only all-purpose solution, for monochromats, color blind, and non color blind, is....home color, away white.

Here are my ideas for Clash Jumpers. When should they be worn, against who and proposed designs or ones that are already used. Each Clubs jumper includes the details for each jumper.
QixHyed.jpg

Cmon, not saying complete white. Just look at a typical NFL game.

Where do you draw the line with what is not completely white and a jumper design of a club. Would the Carlton Clash pass, the Collingwood Clash pass, the Fremantle Clash pass, Gold Coast Clash pass, Greater Western Sydney Clash pass, Hawthorn Clash pass, Melbourne Clash pass, St.Kilda Clash pass, Sydney Clash pass, West Coast Clash pass and the Western Bulldogs Clash pass. Is it mostly what we have now, except for Essendon, Geelong, North Melbourne.

Where do you draw the line with what is not completely white and a jumper design of a club. Would the Carlton Clash pass, the Collingwood Clash pass, the Fremantle Clash pass, Gold Coast Clash pass, Greater Western Sydney Clash pass, Hawthorn Clash pass, Melbourne Clash pass, St.Kilda Clash pass, Sydney Clash pass, West Coast Clash pass and the Western Bulldogs Clash pass. Is it mostly what we have now, except for Essendon, Geelong, North Melbourne.
Look at the nice graphics you posted. Under each team you've got.....this team's clash would be worn against this and that team, but not against that and this team. And each team's list of clash-teams is different to the next. Far too convoluted. K.I.S.S. Plus, like I said, color on color games means color blind people still can't watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back