Prediction Who replaces David Noble

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the management role he performed this year?
His management of our fitness program.

Has he ever even sat in on a contract discussion? A coaching appointment? Any business acumen from outside football?

His management of our fitness program.

Has he ever even sat in on a contract discussion? A coaching appointment? Any business acumen from outside football?
Given that neither you, nor I, can answer these questions, assertions that he can't do the job and doesn't have the experience, are just plain pointless.

What we do know is that the club went through a process, and he was the best candidate available. Not much point getting bitter about not getting Vozzo or Sumich, given that neither of them wanted the job (neither wanted to leave WA). As for the other applicants - we have no idea who was, or was not, considered. We do know that Burton was considered the best applicant they had.

As for his past experience - his role in 2016 was a management position. He wasn't in charge of fitness, he was managing the people who were running our fitness program. He also had the medical team under his guidance as well. The result of this combination, never previously tried at the club, was the lowest injury toll that Adelaide has had in many years.

We also know that he's been the President of the AFL Players Association, and a member of the AFL Laws of the Game committee. Neither of those are trivial positions, nor are those positions are handed out to lightweight contenders.

Everything we know about Burton says that he is a very, very, competent individual, with good management skills. This is exactly what the Football Manager position requires.

Burton clearly has some good qualities. He's always struck me as smarter than average and obviously has some interest in the broader concerns of football.

But...can we please stop citing the 2016 injury toll like it means something? Three years might be a sample worth paying attention to. One year is luck, pure and simple, and until you back it up with consistent results, luck is all it will ever be.

Vozzo said no. Sumich didn't want to move. Those are the ones we've heard of. They're the ones we reportedly spoke to that everyone here would have been happy with. Suggesting we did what we said we did - searched.

You'd rather us say Burton was our third, fourth, fifth best pick to the media? Seriously? He was standout from what we had available, in the clubs eyes, or he wouldn't have been picked for the job.

Some need to think about how the world works rather than assuming it's like lego with all the best available free to pluck from nowhere with no issues. Sometimes this is how it goes and melting won't make Vozzo move here and give you a hug.

in the real world it's about making sure you get a suitable field of candidates, not shrugging your shoulders.
if good quality candidates are not applying you need to do something about that.

seems pretty unusual to me to have a head of football with no coaching experience, but maybe I've forgotten about a couple.

Burton clearly has some good qualities. He's always struck me as smarter than average and obviously has some interest in the broader concerns of football.

But...can we please stop citing the 2016 injury toll like it means something? Three years might be a sample worth paying attention to. One year is luck, pure and simple, and until you back it up with consistent results, luck is all it will ever be.

Burton was a questionable candidate for the fitness role 12 months ago, to have been elevated so quickly is a surprising development.

We also know that he's been the President of the AFL Players Association, and a member of the AFL Laws of the Game committee. Neither of those are trivial positions

aren't they?

Last edited:
Spot on!

Tippett saga case in point. We were promised an explanation and the truth. Received a deafening silence instead.

Typically if there is good news to report that reflects well on the club then you'll hear it. Ergo, if you don't...

not all explanations pass muster, some are just obvious lies, sorry spin.

take this historical tidbit:

"it's the best option, supporters don't understand how much and to what depth this is the right option. We're experts, and you have to trust us"
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2008-03-14/crows-committed-to-aami-stadium

less than 18 months later (!!!), Adelaide Oval is back on the agenda "it's the best option, supporters don't understand how much and to what depth we were hamstrung before. it was unsustainable and finally everyone can see sense, that we were in lots of trouble if we stayed as we were"

http://www.pressreader.com/australia/herald-sun/20091203/285486476998016

on top of that we have people who believed them 100% both times, and don't see either position as being in conflict.

I agree with this, but with a couple of comments:

Yes, it's disappointing that the board wasn't given a run down on the discussion after this year's meeting. It was agreed that the information would funnel through one person and unfortunately that person's circumstances changed to the extent it wasn't possible. We did try though, via the Podcast, to feed back some info, when it became apparent that Allefgib was going to be unable to follow through.

"unable" is gilding the lily a bit. unable is losing the material so they can't be passed onto someone else.

I'm all for accepting criticism and feedback Wayne's-World , but rather than sit back and throw childish barbs at those trying to do stuff, you could actually do something yourself. Why don't you come on our cast, or another? Or start your own? Or does the anonymity you enjoy here suit your trolling agenda?

fair.

IMO the Head of Football role is one role which I don't believe has a good depth of quality candidates in the market place , with both Fagan and Richardson now coaching Tom Harley is one that I like however outside him I'm not sure who I would target from other clubs that would come with a recent record of achievement

IMO the Head of Football role is one role which I don't believe has a good depth of quality candidates in the market place , with both Fagan and Richardson now coaching Tom Harley is one that I like however outside him I'm not sure who I would target from other clubs that would come with a recent record of achievement
If people are to criticize Burton's path ? ....what was the path of Tom Harley if as we're told we should have approached or benchmarked ?

And of course everyone knew Harley replaced Dean Moore as Football Manager didn't you .....not :p

THE Sydney Swans are pleased to announce the appointment of Tom Harley as General Manager – Football, following Dean Moore’s decision to step down after five years in the role.

Newly appointed General Manager - Football, Tom Harley played 198 AFL matches and is a dual premiership captain of Geelong. He will commence the role on November 3.

Since retiring from AFL football at the end of the 2009 season, Harley has held key roles at AFL NSW/ACT, including the role of General Manager, and has also been a part of Channel 7’s AFL coverage.

If people are to criticize Burton's path ? ....what was the path of Tom Harley if as we're told we should have approached or benchmarked ?

And of course everyone knew Harley replaced Dean Moore as Football Manager didn't you .....not :p

WW

It's not only Harley's path many other appointments for similar roles at other clubs have come from candidates being promoted into the role from a previous role within a footy department

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WW

It's not only Harley's path many other appointments for similar roles at other clubs have come from candidates being promoted into the role from a previous role within a footy department
Ultimately the question is .....is there a right or wrong path ?

Fagan was appointed from Rugby .......i'm a massive supporter of left field thinking on managerial appointments

Ultimately the question is .....is there a right or wrong path ?

Fagan was appointed from Rugby .......i'm a massive supporter of left field thinking on managerial appointments

At the end of the day the process should get the right outcome

If the process and selection criteria have been established correctly for the role design then the issue of the successful candidate being internal or external, and or promoted upwards or move sideways from a similar role does become a moot point because a good process should deliver the right outcome

in the real world it's about making sure you get a suitable field of candidates, not shrugging your shoulders.
if good quality candidates are not applying you need to do something about that.

seems pretty unusual to me to have a head of football with no coaching experience, but maybe I've forgotten about a couple.
Pretty much yeah.

This is the most pompous, self indulgent rubbish I've read on here. People give up their time to do things for others and, as usual, the snipers sit back and have a crack when it doesn't go the way they would like.

Yes, it's disappointing that the board wasn't given a run down on the discussion after this year's meeting. It was agreed that the information would funnel through one person and unfortunately that person's circumstances changed to the extent it wasn't possible. We did try though, via the Podcast, to feed back some info, when it became apparent that Allefgib was going to be unable to follow through.

The meetings did lead to positive engagement with the club, as we were able to have access to players during the season, something usually only reserved for mainstream media. So, out of ALL the various Crows supporter groups around the place, only this one was able to listen to interviews with players in a relaxed manner that a lot of people enjoyed.

Theres only been two meetings, because we've only been directly engaged with the club for the last two years.

This off season, the Podcast guys will be meeting with the club again, and I'm sure that will include members from this board. We'll put up a thread for questions when that time comes, but they'd sure as s**t want to be more constructive than the childish crap many people wanted us to ask when we had DMack on the cast. The fact we had to shut that thread down for fear of embarrassing the board, the club and a player who was giving up his time, speaks volumes.

I'm all for accepting criticism and feedback Wayne's-World , but rather than sit back and throw childish barbs at those trying to do stuff, you could actually do something yourself. Why don't you come on our cast, or another? Or start your own? Or does the anonymity you enjoy here suit your trolling agenda?
Not a good look that you guys representing us all from Bigfooty are given time from the club and it wasn't even reported out. Why should the club bother again? Are they aware nothing came of it?

Not a good look that you guys representing us all from Bigfooty are given time from the club and it wasn't even reported out. Why should the club bother again? Are they aware nothing came of it?
You should direct those questions to Allefgib . I was an attendee as a representative of the board and the podcast, there to give them an overview of what we were doing and to seek their engagement. We got that undertaking, and have maintained a good relationship with the club throughout the season, as can be seen by the interviews we got.

I cant answer why Allefgib didnt pass on the notes to us. I do know his circumstances changed. When we realised that he wasn't going to be doing a feedback thing on the board, we decided to discuss the meeting on the cast (which we did, cant quite remember the episode but it was early), but we were working from memory because we didnt have the notes, so it wasn't as comprehensive as we would have liked. Thats also why a thread wasnt made by us - we didnt have enough detail to do it justice.

If any of the other attendees want to throw in their two cents worth, feel free. Bacon8 NikkiNoo Hank93 Peter J . Suffice to say, you can be sure that when our meeting with the club is finalised for next season and we have a date, we will throw open a thread and definitely feed back the outcomes, via the cast and the board. Fair to say that the cast isnt going anywhere, so you can be comfortable knowing that we will be in a position to do so.

Apparently not... though you would think they could recall a summary of the main points.
Refer my post above - as is usual during such a thing, one person took notes and that person was Allefgib . If we'd have known he was going to drop off the planet, clearly we would have done things differently, but we were just as in the dark as you guys. We wont make the same mistake this year.

You'll have to ask Allefgib about that. The Crow Cast guys were relying on his notes

You should direct those questions to Allefgib . I was an attendee as a representative of the board and the podcast, there to give them an overview of what we were doing and to seek their engagement. We got that undertaking, and have maintained a good relationship with the club throughout the season, as can be seen by the interviews we got.

I cant answer why Allefgib didnt pass on the notes to us. I do know his circumstances changed. When we realised that he wasn't going to be doing a feedback thing on the board, we decided to discuss the meeting on the cast (which we did, cant quite remember the episode but it was early), but we were working from memory because we didnt have the notes, so it wasn't as comprehensive as we would have liked. Thats also why a thread wasnt made by us - we didnt have enough detail to do it justice.

If any of the other attendees want to throw in their two cents worth, feel free. Bacon8 NikkiNoo Hank93 Peter J . Suffice to say, you can be sure that when our meeting with the club is finalised for next season and we have a date, we will throw open a thread and definitely feed back the outcomes, via the cast and the board. Fair to say that the cast isnt going anywhere, so you can be comfortable knowing that we will be in a position to do so.
Thanks for you honest response.

I can appreciate the rest of you guys are going on memory, rather than notes.

Whilst it's unfortunate that the big fella's circumstances changed - which happens - So no point people complaining about this - it would be good if the remaining attendees could provide a brief summary of what was discussed based on your recollection. Doesn't need to be detailed - dot point of issues would be fine.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back