Who replaces Will in the midfield rotation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As brutal as it is and as much as it sucks for everyone, we have to move on pretty quickly as a club, being only 5 weeks from finals.

I didn’t want to derail a number of threads so who replaces Will as the third mid, for this year anyway?

I’d like to see Dev get a proper shot at it, but I’m not sure the coaching staff has the same faith in him.

I also think it would be a way to get Rayner into the game more, even for more shorter bursts.

The wildcard could be Berry. We saw what he did in the finals series last year and whilst his body appears to be made of glass at times, I wonder whether it’s time to pull that card in the lead up to finals and hope like hell he can make it through.

Sucks to even have to be considering it tbh 😔😢.

Edit. It can’t be Lyons again. Can it?

i think bailey and zorko are the 2 best options

bailey was bog against sydney with a lot of mid minutes a few weeks ago, his mid craft has improved a lot this year. judging from club media i think more mid time is something he wants as well. ah chee in the 22 means we dont need bailey forward as much either

zorko if he can recapture his form from the middle of 2021 would be electric and the clear best option for mine. whether he is up for it or not is another question

If we’re looking to bring another mid in from the twos it will be either Dev or Lyons.

Wouldn’t mind starting with Dev and seeing if he can handle the role at AFL level. Lyons is an absolute professional and a known quantity and will be able to slot in and do a job at any time. I still don’t think Lyons is the best option structurally so would prefer if we tried Dev first.

Other option is to give Bailey, Zorko and Rayner more midfield time which I think hurts us a bit.

He's not a starting mid but we seem to have 4 main onball rotations

Suspect it might be Bailey so we can continue to carry Zorko in the team in the forward line but it should be Dev

If Zorko could still run he would probably be the main option, but as it is I just don’t think his body would allow it and a frustrated Zorko, we do not want.

For me, Dev comes in and plays the role. Really though, it's time for Cam to step up.

This would be the moment for Cam to step up and break out if he’s got it in him.

Shattering for young Will, he will be the ultimate professional with his rehab, tipping he will have a fantastic run into finals next year when we are attempting to defend our Premiership.

On a replacement I would be giving Dev first crack at it, I also think Rayner should get a little more time on ball, Tunstill could be an option as well. I am dead set against Lyons being the replacement.

This would be the moment for Cam to step up and break out if he’s got it in him.

Could even look at Cockatoo in for Will then rotate he and Cam on the ball.

Cocky has looked really good in the VFL this year and think he'd thrive with the opportunity. Even spent some time on the ball yesterday and won his clearances.

I would like to see Dev given the chance.

My personal view (looking in from the outside), is that our coaches don’t trust Dev playing an on-ball role.

I expect the role to be split between Bailey and Rayner.

I do like @Nunez’s suggestion that Cockatoo could be given a chance to play a forward mid role, and split time with Rayner and Bailey on-ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Tunstill gets another opportunity.

I know they rate him. Even though he appears a little down the pecking order at present.

You have to give Dev an extended run as a pure midfielder, no brainer for me.

If he isn't working out, we can fall back to Lyons come finals team at a minimum but I'd rather we go with giving youth a solid foundation to build upon.

Truthfully there won't be many more chances for midfield spots soon enough. Will to come back next year and then a few months later Levi will be in the side.

Devastated for Will.
I hope it’s one of Dev or Tunstill. I also hope they are backed in for a block of games too. We have never seen Dev have the pure mid opportunity and I feel he deserves it.
As others have stated it can’t be Lyons.
Bailey and Cam will have to increase there midfield minutes.

Very unfortunate about Ashcroft! was a gun for you guys this year, hopefully not a start to future injury problems!! 🤞

Your erection is poking through your shorts. Please dress more decently for our funeral service.

(apologies if you were being genuine ... I have a subjective feeling that Port supporters tend to not like us in general and love it when Lions struggle).

I think for the remainder of the season it is a difficult decision.
-for a defensive slant we could bring in Lyons and free Dunkley up more at contests to extract the ball. However we would potentially be exposed on defensive transition
-Robertson must be considered. He should have a mature enough body to play full time. If he cant play in this time now, then there is no hope that he could play in our team in the next 12-24 months -> might as well trade him away then
-Bailey has really grown in his explosive potential from stoppage. He was always getting caught when he tried for season 2021 and 2022. However this year he really has been magnificent in centre stoppages. It might be a chance for him to go fully on ball and move Ah Chee or someone else as a secondary small forward/mid.
-Rayner would be what we wanted in there when we first drafted him. He has the physical attributes to contest. When he does go in there he genuinely does impact. He was crucial yesterday in winning some 50-50 ground balls in the 4th quarter. The question will always be his tank and can we depend on him to cover the amount of ground Ashcroft does and still remain impactful
-J berry - obviously he has the build for it but his shoulder likely wont tolerate significant on ball time
-Ah Chee - we know his contested ability and defensive ability. I think his aerobic capacity combined with his disposal means he is dependable and ideal in the wing and forward line as you know he will lock the ball in. He can also be an asset in the backline in defensive transition. We may be robbing ourselves of this if he goes in the middle.
-Matho - back from injury in the VFL - but is behind Robertson.
-Tunstill - maybe a player that should aim for 2024. Get a big pre-season and see what he can achieve/if he can lift from the VFL level

We have 5 or so weeks left of this season to build chemistry before finals. My preference would be to either split time between players we have already had there for the season (Bailey, Rayner, Zorko etc) so we can build on that previous experience (ie. only team change is OUT: Ashcroft, IN: Bailey). My next preference would be to also add in Robertson and have him play majority midfield. Just below that would be adding Lyons given he does have experience and a mature body (but hasnt really played with Dunkley so there would be learning curve there). Berry and Ah Chee should be break glass emergency option. Tunstill to compete against Dev for a spot next year. Not sure if we should keep Matho for another year as a just in case option in the VFL (assuming he wants to stay) as coverage for 2024.

Interesting dilemma. Will is both creative and defensive in the same package. We need both. Dev doesn’t bring the creativity, Rayner doesn’t bring the defensive mindset. Lyons doesn’t run back. Seems like Bailey to me. That would leave either Zorko as a forward/mid rotation and Lohman as sub.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Does it change our list management plans at the end of the year, given you would expect us to still be in contention next year and Ashcroft will be missing half the year? Obviously wouldn’t be a star but I wonder whether it’s an area we could look for some more depth, given if we suffer anymore injuries, we could get quite exposed.

If there is a concern that Rayner will be exposed as a mid around the ground, we could try playing him in 1-2 minute spurts before swapping with Dev, Clugga or Bailey. Goes in for centre bounces and has a minute or so, before drifting forward. It's a role that guys of a similar skill set (De Goey, Stringer, Dusty etc) play at their clubs, although in many of these cases they are much more important to their team's fortunes than Rayner is for us, at least for the moment.

Edit: I should add that I think we might already do this with Cam, just not very often. Maybe 2-3 times a game at this point?

Last edited:
If there is a concern that Rayner will be exposed as a mid around the ground, we could try playing him in 1-2 minute spurts before swapping with Dev, Clugga or Bailey. Goes in for centre bounces and has a minute or so, before drifting forward. It's a role that guys of a similar skill set (De Goey, Stringer, Dusty etc) play at their clubs, although in many of these cases they are much more important to their team's fortunes than Rayner is for us, at least for the moment.
Yes that is definitely the way to play Cam, he is a bull at stoppages and can burst away at pace ah la Dangerfield. He is also an exceptional kick into F50.

Does it change our list management plans at the end of the year, given you would expect us to still be in contention next year and Ashcroft will be missing half the year? Obviously wouldn’t be a star but I wonder whether it’s an area we could look for some more depth, given if we suffer anymore injuries, we could get quite exposed.
I don't think so. The main reason being that we have at least 3 guys who are that C-B grade midfielder already in Lyons, Matho and Dev. Add another who would be borderline best 22 and it makes 4. It's quite likely we cover Ashcroft by increasing the midfield time of Bailey, Clugga and Rayner anyway.

I think this draft will be about grabbing the best quality KPP we can, maybe two? 2004 and 2005 could see us adding 3-4 first and second round prospects for the midfield, which will be good timing really.

Lyons. Experienced and a disposal machine. Came into the seniors when Dunkley was out and made an immediate impact.

Returning to the VFL after two in a row at the higher level, Jarryd Lyons did what he does in Brisbane's 35-point win over Geelong on Saturday, getting plenty of the ball.

The veteran midfielder finished with a game-high 32 disposals to go with eight clearances and a goal.

Lyons. Experienced and a disposal machine. Came into the seniors when Dunkley was out and made an immediate impact.
Couldn't disagree with you more on this one 3KZ, we need someone who can run both ways and Lyons is not it, IMO he only ever plays if Neale or Dunkley goes out.

Dev Robertson for me is the guy, give him a crack at the position he played all through juniors and won the National Championships MVP.... an inside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back