Prediction Who rises, who falls?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was originally thinking the Cats were a lock for the eight but I forgot Enright & Bartel both retired. I know they got Zach Tuohy but Enright is irreplaceable.

I reckon they will have adjusted to playing with Danger better this season. He kind of took the spotlight and was almost a one-man show, not really integrating into a "team" as much as doing it as an individual. I think Danger will be used more effectively this year, probably up forward. I think he will be a goal kicker and less of a possession monster. If we assume that Geelong coaches will do a review and that they know what they are doing they will notice how much of the ball Danger burnt. I think they will make steps to improve that and make sure he gets more quality possessions than quantity.

I think they still have the players to do it. Guthrie will be a better player and Motlop may just have the season he always threatens to have. Biclavs is a machine and I expect Nakia Cockatoo to have a break out season. This kid was only in his second season last year and he showed some great promise. I dont think Geelong will fall out of the 8. Worst case - they have a tilt at the flag this season.

I dont see how anyone can watch them thoroughly outclass us twice last season and have them drop out of the 8 and us move into the top 4.

I reckon they will have adjusted to playing with Danger better this season. He kind of took the spotlight and was almost a one-man show, not really integrating into a "team" as much as doing it as an individual. I think Danger will be used more effectively this year, probably up forward. I think he will be a goal kicker and less of a possession monster. If we assume that Geelong coaches will do a review and that they know what they are doing they will notice how much of the ball Danger burnt. I think they will make steps to improve that and make sure he gets more quality possessions than quantity.

I think they still have the players to do it. Guthrie will be a better player and Motlop may just have the season he always threatens to have. Biclavs is a machine and I expect Nakia Cockatoo to have a break out season. This kid was only in his second season last year and he showed some great promise. I dont think Geelong will fall out of the 8. Worst case - they have a tilt at the flag this season.

I dont see how anyone can watch them thoroughly outclass us twice last season and have them drop out of the 8 and us move into the top 4.

If all those things happen you will be right but who knows, not sure Danger can be taught not to burn the ball. I'm not saying they will miss I just think they won't be as good as last year.

Agreed - they are in the best 4 or 5 teams and will stay up there

Slight concerns over losing Enright , Bartel and I'm surprised Mackie is playing on as looked cooked in finals ( but will still probably play well against us )

Talls are very good with Smith Stanley Taylor and Hawk , Menzel another year post knee will be very dangerous and Cockatoo should come on

Injuries could f.ark them , think they will spread load better in midfield with guys like Motlop, Blicavs and Duncan having better seasons and Scott Selwood may add to depth if can recapture form and stay fit . They should send danger forward at times IMO

Tipping dogs for minor premiership expecting them to gain confidence from their flag and also have less injury problems which nearly derailed them last season

GWS and Sydney the dangers for the flag. Heeney to boost midfield and possibly Mills although looks great at half back . Won't miss Tom Mitchell at all

Geelong and us next , can we turn the tables and push for top 4?

Any of Freo , WC , Hawks , Melbourne and Saints up next

Have a feeling Goodwin takes Melbourne into the 8 above the saints who just miss out again

Poor years coming for Richmond , Port , North , Carlton and Brisbane . All pushing for bottom 4

The unknowns for me are Essendon , Pies and GC . So many changes to their teams will be unrecognisable at times

All this fapping over GWS Sydney and Bulldogs. Sure we got jumped by Sydney in the final but accounted for them during the year. GWS, we belted. Dogs won a premiership and beat the Crows bye merely 15 pts after being aided by the most hideously one-sided umpiring in living memory. And yet we're not in contention for a top 2 top 3 spot? Bullshit. We're in it up to our eyeballs. Midfield shmidfield.

All this fapping over GWS Sydney and Bulldogs. Sure we got jumped by Sydney in the final but accounted for them during the year. GWS, we belted. Dogs won a premiership and beat the Crows bye merely 15 pts after being aided by the most hideously one-sided umpiring in living memory. And yet we're not in contention for a top 2 top 3 spot? Bullshit. We're in it up to our eyeballs. Midfield shmidfield.
Ok

You don't think we're a chance for top four?

edit: s**t reply BTW

double edit: So I see you've tipped Crows for top four. Why the sarcastic reply then?
Because the rather optimistic and simplistic way you've dismissed those top 3 teams we are clearly behind.

Sydney thumped us when it counted and their midfield is way too strong for us.
GWS are only going to get better after finishing ahead of us and their midfield is way too strong for us.
Western Bulldogs are the reigning premiers after winning four finals including beating GWS and Sydney. The side that one the flag wasn't the same team that beat us, they were better and their midfield is way too strong for us.

I've picked us fourth but that's on the basis everything going right for us and you know what will stop us from getting there and further? Our midfield which you just dissed as not being an issue. They were exposed leading up to the finals and against Sydney. Our midfield hasn't got better it's got weaker.

It's going to be very interesting to see how Collingwood go this year. They have made some Ballsey moves. Also they finally should get Elliot back from injury.

Melb and Saints to rise and challenge for the 8

Geelong to drop out of top 4

Hawks and North to drop out of the top 8

Gold Coast, Collingwood and Gremantle to all improve

Yeah almost the same for me except on the last bit. I think Saints and Demons will be the biggest improvers for me, they both have lists filled with some serious talent both through the midfield and KPP wise. North are completely ****ed now. Gonna be a long few years for the whole 15k fans they have.

Hawks I think are in trouble. Trading out half of their midfield in Lewis/Hill/Mitchell is huge, don't underestimate that. I know they added Titchell and JOM but still, you can't remove the core of your midfield and expect to just carry on. Hodge, Burger and Gibson all getting on now too adds to the worries. My only problem is that every time I think Hawks are slipping, Clarko has something up his sleeve that slimy bastard! Would love to see them fall out of the 8 after what they did. Threw away the heart of their team essentially, they can't get away with that surely.....

I'm actually really worried about the Eagles. I think Mitchell if he can stay fit is a huuuuuge addition to their side, give their forward line. Mitchell's skills will be a breath of fresh air, as their midfield tends to butcher the ball a lot despite their talent.

Suns and Lions are still stuffed. They have to re-vamp their whole midfield AGAIN. Suns will be better off with Lynch and Wright, but I still don't see a big rise.

Freo I think will tread water. A few big in's to their list, but their back 6 is so, SO average. Hamling will most likely be exposed when he doesn't have the ruthless dogs midfield sitting in front of him. Their forward line require's a bit of a shake up and they still have a lot of young players in their 22. Same with Carlton, going nowhere (yet).

Collingwood to miss the 8 again. Had very little KPP depth and yet they decided to trade most of what they had left, dumbfounded. Awesome midfield, but that's never been their problem. Extremely average forward line bar Moore and Elliot/Fasolo, with a back 6 that A) can never stay fit and B) now also includes Lynden Dunn, yuck. Reckon Bucks will be gone by the end of the year.

Yeah almost the same for me except on the last bit. I think Saints and Demons will be the biggest improvers for me, they both have lists filled with some serious talent both through the midfield and KPP wise. North are completely ****ed now. Gonna be a long few years for the whole 15k fans they have.

Hawks I think are in trouble. Trading out half of their midfield in Lewis/Hill/Mitchell is huge, don't underestimate that. I know they added Titchell and JOM but still, you can't remove the core of your midfield and expect to just carry on. Hodge, Burger and Gibson all getting on now too adds to the worries. My only problem is that every time I think Hawks are slipping, Clarko has something up his sleeve that slimy bastard! Would love to see them fall out of the 8 after what they did. Threw away the heart of their team essentially, they can't get away with that surely.....

I'm actually really worried about the Eagles. I think Mitchell if he can stay fit is a huuuuuge addition to their side, give their forward line. Mitchell's skills will be a breath of fresh air, as their midfield tends to butcher the ball a lot despite their talent.

Suns and Lions are still stuffed. They have to re-vamp their whole midfield AGAIN. Suns will be better off with Lynch and Wright, but I still don't see a big rise.

Freo I think will tread water. A few big in's to their list, but their back 6 is so, SO average. Hamling will most likely be exposed when he doesn't have the ruthless dogs midfield sitting in front of him. Their forward line require's a bit of a shake up and they still have a lot of young players in their 22. Same with Carlton, going nowhere (yet).

Collingwood to miss the 8 again. Had very little KPP depth and yet they decided to trade most of what they had left, dumbfounded. Awesome midfield, but that's never been their problem. Extremely average forward line bar Moore and Elliot/Fasolo, with a back 6 that A) can never stay fit and B) now also includes Lynden Dunn, yuck. Reckon Bucks will be gone by the end of the year.

Can't see freo treading water purely because they threw 2016 after where they finished in 2015. 2016 wasn't a true reflection of that team, quite simply they tanked

It's going to be very interesting to see how Collingwood go this year. They have made some Ballsey moves. Also they finally should get Elliot back from injury.
Flicked Cloke, brought in Mayne who is an absolute spud and Wells who won't get on the park, and get back a couple of drug takers. Also taking a punt on a guy who didn't show much at GWS and another guy from the Demons who looks close to finished. Ended the trade period picking up a bloke even Freo didn't want. I don't know if you could consider them ballsy moves as much as dumb moves. The only thing of note happening at Collingwood is Nathan Buckley losing his job !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn long term are screwed.
Not sure, as they may be able to attract free agents.

I expect they will slide this year to around the edge of the top-8... though if the wheels fall off their season, Clarkson may tank like Freo did last year for better picks.

Not sure, as they may be able to attract free agents.

I expect they will slide this year to around the edge of the top-8... though if the wheels fall off their season, Clarkson may tank like Freo did last year for better picks.
In the next couple of years they have Poppy, Roughead, Gibson, Shaun B and Hodge retiring. They have already lost Mitchell and Lewis this year.
On top of that two of their big hopes in Omeara and Burton have question marks about their ability to have full careers.
Also with them being top of crop in the last few years they havent had access to top talent in the draft.
The pressure is on big time for them going forward.

In the next couple of years they have Poppy, Roughead, Gibson, Shaun B and Hodge retiring. They have already lost Mitchell and Lewis this year.
On top of that two of their big hopes in Omeara and Burton have question marks about their ability to have full careers.
Also with them being top of crop in the last few years they havent had access to top talent in the draft.
It also doesn't help when they pay massive overs to bring in spuds like Tyrone Vickery !!

Depends on what you meant by screwed. I took it as bottom 4, like where I think the Roos are heading for a while.

I have tipped the Hawks to drop out of the 8, as they are definitely heading into a transition period. They still have a decent core of players, but now will be relying more on younger guys... so will be great test for Clarko to make the finals, which is still possible.

Main issue will be topping up their midfield for when Burgoyne & Hodge go, in addition to this year's changes... but it's not like they need a complete rebuild.

Hawks have a squad to make top 4. Especially if the two new recruits hit the ground flying. They are fantastic at spotting talent so stories of their demise are premature.

But, their best players are old as pointed out. They will be more susceptible to missing games through injury and also they will not have the tanks to run out games like they did 5 years ago.

Their season will depend on how they can keep their best players fit and on the park. I think they will be around 7th to 10th in a log jam.

You also forgot to mention that O'rourke is an absolute garbage footballer. Haven't seen someone so vanilla and scrappy since Andrew Moore.

I have no idea what convinced GWS to use pick 2 on him and then Hawks to trade pick 19 for him.

I may be missing something, but I do not rate in the slightest!

Can't see freo treading water purely because they threw 2016 after where they finished in 2015. 2016 wasn't a true reflection of that team, quite simply they tanked

They may rise a few spots, but I can't see them getting near the 8 with that backline and a few young mids who won't be able to help them out as well as an experienced unit.

They may rise a few spots, but I can't see them getting near the 8 with that backline and a few young mids who won't be able to help them out as well as an experienced unit.
If I was Freo, I would be wondering who is going to kick goals...

You could be right but I'm very keen to watch Freo and see if they really did tank 2016 and how it will assist them if they did by grabbing an early pick rather than finish 6 to 8 in that year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back