• Marshall

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Long

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

i guess a lot depends on Gearys injurys ... i dont think the club would be taking it off Gears if they are confident he will get through the whole season.. Seb did the role well this season and i dont think he did his chances any disservice on retaining it into 2020 .
i cant see Hannas being a realistic consideration as he needs to focus mainly on getting on the park ..
Dunstan has leadership but isnt a lock to be playing each week
Long is seen as a leader in the group but i dont think he is captain material but maybe more the guy the indig guys look to for guidance and leadership
the young guys we have got over the last few years have been touted as strong leaders in their draft profile so it will be interesting to see who steps up ...

Geary should not even be on the list. He is the epitome of mediocrity. If we want to improve we must bring in new blood. Marshall is the one that can lead our team for the next 8 years and onto our next premiership.

Aren't we past the days of determining a players leadership qualities by his football talent?

Geary is a tremendous leader.
yeah we are but at the same time the captain needs to be on the park .. so if Geary is going to be a chance to miss chunks of footy coming off his broken leg you kinda think you need to have someone else in charge ..
same with Dunstan who i rate as a fantastic leader but if he cant cement his place in the 22 you cant make him captain
ditto Hannas with his injurys

yeah we are but at the same time the captain needs to be on the park .. so if Geary is going to be a chance to miss chunks of footy coming off his broken leg you kinda think you need to have someone else in charge ..
same with Dunstan who i rate as a fantastic leader but if he cant cement his place in the 22 you cant make him captain
That's true but broken legs don't keep players off the park other than the initial recovery period. He will play, barring injury, the entire year.

That's true but broken legs don't keep players off the park other than the initial recovery period. He will play, barring injury, the entire year.
i agree but we also know leg injurys can be problematic .. especially after that killer cork injury then the break so im sure the club would have an understanding on the best work load for him moving forward that may include him easing into the season or it might not ..
as i said if the club are confident he plays all year i cant see them taking the captancy off him but if there is some doubt i can see them being quite comfortable with Ross holding the role

Geary should not even be on the list. He is the epitome of mediocrity. If we want to improve we must bring in new blood. Marshall is the one that can lead our team for the next 8 years and onto our next premiership.
Geary is easily in our 22. He is actually quite an outstanding player for his position. Wins the ball too unlike many of our current players.

Geary injury were freak accidents. He hasn’t had calf or hamstring problems. Previously he hardly missed a game.

Geary injury were freak accidents. He hasn’t had calf or hamstring problems. Previously he hardly missed a game.
Has anyone had a worse run with injury than Gears had last year? I want the captaincy passed on to a younger man and he may be on the fringes of selection, but we need him around the team and club.

He has a lot to contribute. Strikes me as potential coaching material.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know that ... hence i said IF .... before his broken leg Goose Maguire was a durable never miss a game player ... the point im saying is the club would know how bad the leg brake was and if there was a possibility of a further complication that could prevent him missing chunks of the season or being eased back in slowly then putting Seb Ross in as captain is a pretty good idea

Matty Parker, Matty Parker, Matty Parker, Matty Parker, Matty Parker, Matty Parker, Matty Parker, Matty Parker, Matty Parker, Matty Parker, Matty Parker

Umm maybe I'm getting a bit carried away as his advocate - so seriously I think joint Captains this year

Geary & Ross

and Matty Parker

i know that ... hence i said IF .... before his broken leg Goose Maguire was a durable never miss a game player ... the point im saying is the club would know how bad the leg brake was and if there was a possibility of a further complication that could prevent him missing chunks of the season or being eased back in slowly then putting Seb Ross in as captain is a pretty good idea
Everything is if. Ross May get injured. My point is if he has recovered which is most likely injury isn’t a reason not give it to geary. I’ve already said Ross should be captain but not because I’m worried about geary injury. It’s not like hanners who apparently hurt himself with soft tissue injuries a few times last year.

Everything is if. Ross May get injured. My point is if he has recovered which is most likely injury isn’t a reason not give it to geary. I’ve already said Ross should be captain but not because I’m worried about geary injury. It’s not like hanners who apparently hurt himself with soft tissue injuries a few times last year.
what ?1?!?!?
im saying the club know what the situation is with Geary and his injury if he is fully fit ready to go then he should retain the captaincy ... if he is being nursed through the injury and the club are looking longer term with him then Ross should be the captain as his likely replacment

what ?1?!?!?
im saying the club know what the situation is with Geary and his injury if he is fully fit ready to go then he should retain the captaincy ... if he is being nursed through the injury and the club are looking longer term with him then Ross should be the captain as his likely replacment
If. If I was a rich man. If Milne got the right bounce. If geary is going to miss large chunks obviously he won’t be captain but the injury he got usually suggests that’s a big if which was the point of my first post.

A captain these days is really more about representing the club in the public eye. Whether it's Geary, Ross or Hanners that captains the side none of them are going to be any different in how they prepare and lead out on the field. It's more about the leadership group as a collective for me, so it's imperative that the club get that right. Given the players make that call, I'm comfortable that they will.

Geary speaks well and leads by example, and the players get right around him so I can't see why he shouldn't be skipper again in 2020. Happy to see him pass it on after another season or two depending on his footy.

A captain these days is really more about representing the club in the public eye. Whether it's Geary, Ross or Hanners that captains the side none of them are going to be any different in how they prepare and lead out on the field. It's more about the leadership group as a collective for me, so it's imperative that the club get that right. Given the players make that call, I'm comfortable that they will.

Geary speaks well and leads by example, and the players get right around him so I can't see why he shouldn't be skipper again in 2020. Happy to see him pass it on after another season or two depending on his footy.
the captain also sets the tone for what the team stand for so they have to be able to stand infront of the entire group and have them ready to follow them.. Geary has that respect of the group through his work ethic and his ability to draw the absoulte most out of himself.. i dont know if Hannas as yet would have that level of respect from the playing group i think Seb is a bit like BJ in regards to he sets a high expectation and the players strive to reach that expectation .. i think from my perception that much like BJ Seb would have players who love him and would run through walls for him but there would also be ones who would see him as a bit of a flog

the captain also sets the tone for what the team stand for so they have to be able to stand infront of the entire group and have them ready to follow them.. Geary has that respect of the group through his work ethic and his ability to draw the absoulte most out of himself.. i dont know if Hannas as yet would have that level of respect from the playing group i think Seb is a bit like BJ in regards to he sets a high expectation and the players strive to reach that expectation .. i think from my perception that much like BJ Seb would have players who love him and would run through walls for him but there would also be ones who would see him as a bit of a flog
Doesn’t come across anything like be to me but we all see things differently. Anyway there are only 2 choices. Stay with geary or get Seb. I’d change. Not sure they will though.

Doesn’t come across anything like be to me but we all see things differently. Anyway there are only 2 choices. Stay with geary or get Seb. I’d change. Not sure they will though.
Correct I think they’ll stay with Gears and to be honest he doesn’t deserve to be dumped yet. I’d give him another year with a considerably changed line up.

Correct I think they’ll stay with Gears and to be honest he doesn’t deserve to be dumped yet. I’d give him another year with a considerably changed line up.
as i said from the start before almost being pulled down the rabbit hole ... the only reason you take the captaincy off Gears is if he is unlikely to play for large portions of the year..
he has been a very good captain for our club in what has been a fairly rough period for our club , nothing he has done would warrant having the title stripped off him and none of his peers in the team have done more than him to warrant taking it off him at this stage .. Seb is a capable replacment but hasnt done anything in my eyes to comand the role over Geary

Reckon this is the year for a vice captain. Geary played well last year when he wasn't injured, but the year before he surely would have been dropped if he wasn't captain. Leaving the C on him on his own this year doesn't make sense. Ross is an option, but he doesn't fill me with confidence either.

If Hannebery is fit, he's the perfect choice. I haven't heard about his progress since his broken foot, he was only meant to effectively miss 2 weeks or so, right? I'd go Hanners Captain, Marshall vice Captain. Marshall is an imposing figure on field, he's prominent. He can lead by example and I think he's a good fit. He's 24 years old, and I doubt it will weigh him down.

Ross showed last year he's not a good fit for the captaincy. Geary, all things considered, should be forced out of the team this year if everything goes well. Hanners and Marshall for me. Think it's a good move.

as i said from the start before almost being pulled down the rabbit hole ... the only reason you take the captaincy off Gears is if he is unlikely to play for large portions of the year..
he has been a very good captain for our club in what has been a fairly rough period for our club , nothing he has done would warrant having the title stripped off him and none of his peers in the team have done more than him to warrant taking it off him at this stage .. Seb is a capable replacment but hasnt done anything in my eyes to comand the role over Geary
That certainly isn’t the only reason. Naive to think that. He isn’t friggin Paul kelly as captain. Humour should work for your issues.

Back