Who Should Be In The Hall Of Fame, and Who Should Be A Legend?

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
List of current members on wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Football_Hall_of_Fame#Player_inductees

I think G. Lyon should be in.

I think M. Tuck should be a legend.
  • 426 senior games, 50 reserves games
  • Most finals: 39
  • Most grand finals: 11
  • Most flags: 7
  • Most games without winning a club best and fairest: 426 (he finished 2nd on 7 occassions, normally behind L. Mathews).

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
There is a large number of West Australians not in it as yet or if ever.
It’s a strange criteria I think.
The way I see it is you have to be a very good player to make it from Victoria, but from South Australia and Western Australia to need to be an absolute superstar.
I am talking about players who never went to the VFL.

Below_me_Port

Debutant
May 4, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Andrew Jarman. Forget the idiot in the media, his playing record is as good as any.

66B9E0DB-AD2E-44ED-8F0C-BE833489993E.jpeg

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Potentially controversial opinion, but I think there are already far too many official legends with 28 players currently having this title.

In contrast, Australian rugby league has the equvalent "immortal" status with only 13 inductees. That club seems to be alot more exclusive with only players with genuinely spectacular records included.

I mean, would Roy Cazaly be considered a legend if it wasn't for the folklore induced by the Mike Brady song? Only has 2 club best and fairest's and 2 club leading goalkicker awards.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Potentially controversial opinion, but I think there are already far too many official legends with 28 players currently having this title.

In contrast, Australian rugby league has the equvalent "immortal" status with only 8 inductees. That club seems to be alot more exclusive with only players with genuinely spectacular records included.

I mean, would Roy Cazaly be considered a legend if it wasn't for the folklore induced by the Mike Brady song? Only has 2 club best and fairest's and 2 club leading goalkicker awards.
Couldn't agree more, legend status should be extremely exclusive, should of started of with fewer and only introduce one every 5 years at the least or leave it open till one is deemed worthy of inclusion.

I used to follow Rugby League closely and the Immortals is solely based on on field performance which I like a lot better, if you look at their list of 8 it is truly the absolute elite all time player who makes that list and a couple of them would have what you call dubious off field credentials.

Have a separate list/category for coaches/administrators etc also IMO.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I think that you should not be eligible for HOF until you have been retired for 20 years.
Too many players not in it yet that should be yet players that are recently retired have made it.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Couldn't agree more, legend status should be extremely exclusive, should of started of with fewer and only introduce one every 5 years at the least or leave it open till one is deemed worthy of inclusion.

I used to follow Rugby League closely and the Immortals is solely based on on field performance which I like a lot better, if you look at their list of 8 it is truly the absolute elite all time player who makes that list and a couple of them would have what you call dubious off field credentials.

Have a separate list/category for coaches/administrators etc also IMO.
Just checked and its actually expanded to 13 now, but still its a fabulous list.

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
They give out HOF pretty loosely in the AFL. Let alone legends

Agreed. Too many in the hall who should only gain entry after having purchased a ticket. This requirement that there must be six inductees every year absolutely cheapens it. If no-one meets the standard, then induct no-one.

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Sheffield Wednesday
In regards to the Legends category, based on the existing members - the following should be walk up starts...

Ken Farmer - the greatest full forward the game has seen. 11 consecutive centuries and 81 goals from 17 state games. His record eclipses the other forwards Coleman, Coventry, Lockett, Pratt
Russell Ebert & Bill Walker - four time medallists
Jack Oatey & Fos Williams - once Jock McHale and Kevin Sheedy were elevated, these two have to be. Particularly Oatey who is credited with transforming the game through the use of handball. 10 and 9 coached premierships respectively and significant playing careers in their own right with multiple best and fairests and state reps each
Neil Kerley - Mr Football, massive influence in SA at 5 different clubs. Had an equivalent influence on the game in SA as Ted Whitten did in Vic.
Craig Bradley - Record holder for league games played

As for outstanding inductees.
Andrew Jarman - has been mentioned previously, 5 Fos Williams Medals is a record
Tom Leahy - Known as the "prince of Ruckmen", considered one of the greatest Rucks ever to have played the game
Richard "Dick" Head - Champion footballer of the 1920s, who continued on in administrative roles in later years
Peter Marker - From Glenelg's golden era, went on to have a significant media contribution
Bob Shearman - Champion across two clubs and 5 time premiership player. 2 time winner of the Craven Filter national champion kick of Australia
Jack Tredrea - The first South Australian Footballer to reach 200 league games
Bill Wedding - Great ruckman who was known to regularly beat opponents such as Polly Farmer and John Nicholls at interstate level.
Garry McIntosh - Champion midfielder for Norwood, the last player to resist the lure of the VFL/AFL
Bill Mayman - Represented three different states, 2 x Premiership captain
Tim Evans - 2nd in all-time SANFL goalkicking (1019)
Chris McDermott - Star for Glenelg through their golden era, inaugural Crows captain. Significant charity and media work since retirement.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
In regards to the Legends category, based on the existing members - the following should be walk up starts...

Ken Farmer - the greatest full forward the game has seen. 11 consecutive centuries and 81 goals from 17 state games. His record eclipses the other forwards Coleman, Coventry, Lockett, Pratt
Russell Ebert & Bill Walker - four time medallists
Jack Oatey & Fos Williams - once Jock McHale and Kevin Sheedy were elevated, these two have to be. Particularly Oatey who is credited with transforming the game through the use of handball. 10 and 9 coached premierships respectively and significant playing careers in their own right with multiple best and fairests and state reps each
Neil Kerley - Mr Football, massive influence in SA at 5 different clubs. Had an equivalent influence on the game in SA as Ted Whitten did in Vic.
Craig Bradley - Record holder for league games played

As for outstanding inductees.
Andrew Jarman - has been mentioned previously, 5 Fos Williams Medals is a record
Tom Leahy - Known as the "prince of Ruckmen", considered one of the greatest Rucks ever to have played the game
Richard "Dick" Head - Champion footballer of the 1920s, who continued on in administrative roles in later years
Peter Marker - From Glenelg's golden era, went on to have a significant media contribution
Bob Shearman - Champion across two clubs and 5 time premiership player. 2 time winner of the Craven Filter national champion kick of Australia
Jack Tredrea - The first South Australian Footballer to reach 200 league games
Bill Wedding - Great ruckman who was known to regularly beat opponents such as Polly Farmer and John Nicholls at interstate level.
Garry McIntosh - Champion midfielder for Norwood, the last player to resist the lure of the VFL/AFL
Bill Mayman - Represented three different states, 2 x Premiership captain
Tim Evans - 2nd in all-time SANFL goalkicking (1019)
Chris McDermott - Star for Glenelg through their golden era, inaugural Crows captain. Significant charity and media work since retirement.
Couldn't agree more with most of those suggestions. As a Norwood supporter have to emphasize that Garry McIntosh MUST be inducted in to the Hall of Fame. Would say the same for Michael Aish, Michael Taylor and Keith Thomas(despite moving to the dark side). Also think that Brian Cunnigham needs to be on that list as well. Also, as you are a Sturt supporter, Michael Graham should be in there as well. Plenty of others can be added to that list.

Neil Balme for mine was a decent player for Richmond and coach for Norwood and is widely regarded as one of the best football managers in the comp

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Neil Balme for mine was a decent player for Richmond and coach for Norwood and is widely regarded as one of the best football managers in the comp
Absolutely agree that Balmey should be in the hall of fame for what he did as a player, coach and also footy operations manager. Has done a lot for the game, and is successful wherever he goes.

Back