Opinion Who should be our next captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain calls are always hard because unless you're within the four walls of the club, you can't really know who the boys really look up to and get inspired by

Well said. Great players don't necessarily make great captains. Ill just trust the club to make the right choice.

Do we need co captains?, what benefit do co captains bring.

Imo all co captain policies do is reduce the pressure,responsibility and accountablity of those selected. If you are worried that a player may not be able to handle the above mentioned pressures, you have the wrong guy.

A captain needs to be someone who is not afraid of the media, strong enough to command respect and actually lead by example.they also must be able to shut out outside noise and play through adversity , no matter what.

Whether its mcveigh, or jack or anyone else the club may select, imo we should go to a singular captain

Do we need co captains?, what benefit do co captains bring.

Imo all co captain policies do is reduce the pressure,responsibility and accountablity of those selected. If you are worried that a player may not be able to handle the above mentioned pressures, you have the wrong guy.

A captain needs to be someone who is not afraid of the media, strong enough to command respect and actually lead by example.they also must be able to shut out outside noise and play through adversity , no matter what.

Whether its mcveigh, or jack or anyone else the club may select, imo we should go to a singular captain

We haven't had any issues with co-captains, in fact it has worked out really well for us. Why change??

We haven't had any issues with co-captains, in fact it has worked out really well for us. Why change??
Has it? We had co-captains in 2005 and 2012 and won a flag...win. We had co-captains in 2014...loss. We've had co-captains every other year...loss. That's a negative but in reality, it's also immeasurable! FWIW, I think they'll move away from Captains and just install leaders somewhere down the line.

I guess co captaincy fits in with a team first philosophy.

It actually negates the effect of personality clashes. Looking at the Lions where Rocky is apparently disliked enough for players to want to leave - or thinking back to the Pies where we picked up williams because he couldn't stand the newly installed Buckley regime - this is slightly less likely with multiple peers.

Parker hands down. Incredibly important player for the team and when he lifts, he inspires the rest of the side to as well. Just oozes class. He's already shown a lot of leadership and have seen him on a few occasions bring the players in to give a rev-up at the end of a quarter. He's got a cool head on his shoulders as well and would do us proud off the field as well.

If the go for Hannebery though, I wouldn't be fussed. Another one that's tough as nails.

+1 for Hanners as captain or if it has to be joint then add Parker as co-captain.

Both are tough as nails, don't shirk any responsibilities, are courageous as they come and lead by example in winning the hard ball no matter how much they knew they're about to be smashed in the contest.
Nah. Hanners doesn't have the leadership chops. Macca needs to step down. Kizza's good for another year or two and by then Mills might be ready. Has "future skipper" written all over him. In the meantime maybe Rampe? Seems to have the respect and love of his teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would have been Bird had he kicked on from his form 2012-13. Of the current players, I think Rampe and Parker are probably the standouts, but because of their importance to the team and what the captaincy usually does to players, I'd be hesitant to give it to Rampe.

Mills & Heeney are undoubtedly future captains, but for the time being I think both KJ & McPointy can keep doing it for a few more years, right up to retirement. No reason to change since they've been both quite excellent leading the club.

It would have been Bird had he kicked on from his form 2012-13. Of the current players, I think Rampe and Parker are probably the standouts, but because of their importance to the team and what the captaincy usually does to players, I'd be hesitant to give it to Rampe.

Mills & Heeney are undoubtedly future captains, but for the time being I think both KJ & McPointy can keep doing it for a few more years, right up to retirement. No reason to change since they've been both quite excellent leading the club.
I agree with chumpy. Parker in a few years Kiz can have it til he goes obviously and mccpoint will be gone this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back