Hot Topic Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

nathan bassett has some appeal .. proven coach @ the next level .. back in the afl system

worsfold also appeals , premiership captain & coach .. proven leader with a couple of years out of the game

personally i think MM is a good coach that is getting the best our of a v ordinary list . the blame for the current mess lies with the recruiting and / or development staff however the blues should not pay $1m plus for a coach

Quazza, can you give me a little more info on this bloke and his style/achievements please?

Leader. He's fiery, passionate and the players love him and really play for him. Speaks very well. Generally handles the media pretty well. Great development coach. He completely rebuilt Norwood from the ground up and turned them into a powerhouse. What stood out for me is that he had them playing a very AFL style of game (not sure how much SANFL you've seen but it's a fair bit different)

I know there's one or 2 Norwood supporters on here(names escape me)- would love to get their take

- Brendan Bolton Hawks midfield coach
- Mark Bickley
- Robert harvey
- Leigh Tudor
- Stuart Dew
- Nathan Bassett
- Brett Kirk

Recycled Coaches
- Mark Neeld
- Dean Laidly
- Brenton Sanderson
- Michael Voss
- Matthew Knights
- Mark harvey
- *Bomber thompson
- Chocko Williams

Here we ******* go again. :rolleyes: If we absolutely have to go down this same old worn path again then get someone who has shown they can build a list. Mark Harvey would be my choice as I liked how he put the Freo list together. Didn't have the 100 first round picks that GCS & GWS had to assemble it with either.
TSG, will you promise to drive me to the WestGate if by some freak of impossibilities this ever happens? That or Tullamarine.

Leader. He's fiery, passionate and the players love him and really play for him. Speaks very well. Generally handles the media pretty well. Great development coach. He completely rebuilt Norwood from the ground up and turned them into a powerhouse. What stood out for me is that he had them playing a very AFL style of game (not sure how much SANFL you've seen but it's a fair bit different)

I know there's one or 2 Norwood supporters on here(names escape me)- would love to get their take

Agreed. He's a terrific communicator and spends a lot of time one on one with his players, plenty of guys have gone back into the AFL after a season with the Redlegs.........who i do not support, (though Bongiorno's just up the Parade do a wicked Pizza).

Cheers, Q. Wonder if he has applied for a senior role before.

No. Not Yet. He was a no nonsense, uncompromising defender with the Crows and has applied same to his coaching. Only 2nd year in the AFL coaching caper as assistant at Essendon* so may need some more development. But he will be a good 'un.

Go hard for Roos with #5 at his side.
Can't see Judd being interested in coaching.

Maybe we should give Mick another 2 to 3 years to continue the rebuild, and then chase someone like Ross Lyon who would've had 6 years at Freo by then and might want to come back to Melbourne to coach the team he barracked for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. He's a terrific communicator and spends a lot of time one on one with his players, plenty of guys have gone back into the AFL after a season with the Redlegs.........who i do not support, (though Bongiorno's just up the Parade do a wicked Pizza).

Must agree there Stig. Been eating BUONgiorno pizza for over 25 years and always a hit.
Agree with your comments on Bassett too.

Here we ******* go again. :rolleyes: If we absolutely have to go down this same old worn path again then get someone who has shown they can build a list. Mark Harvey would be my choice as I liked how he put the Freo list together. Didn't have the 100 first round picks that GCS & GWS had to assemble it with either.

Mark harvey might be ok, as a coach but remember he was the guy who got Mark Johnson, Kepler Bradley and Adam McPhee to Fremantle.
SOS is the guy that will be in charge of recruiting - look at GWS he did a great job there, but Carlton wont have anywhere the picks so he needs to make the early ones count.

What Essendon did well was mature age recruits - they filled holes in our list where we hd drafted poorly under Sheedy/knights era.

If they can add a rookie each year that is best 22 it will go a long way to wall papering over the holes in the list. Essendon Frankston connection was handy - Hibberd & baguley are great little players. Ambrose filled in for Crameri.

SOS job may be harder than the new coach. But there is a lot of work that needs to be done with the carlton list which has been said to be worse than Saint Kilda or Melbournes list due to the lack of young talent.

Last year Bomber Thompson blooded a few young guys for EfC - Ashby, Gleeson, Fantasia, merrett.....thats what Malthouse has to do for the blues expose the kids that are ready.
Cripps looks good, Clem Smith shows spirit.

Langford & Laverde at the Bombers were great picks ....and it will be interesting over the Journey comparing them to Beokherst who went in between them.

Sounds good...really good,
Neese I think is a supporter

Guy McKenna or Dean Laidley for mine. I think Guy McKenna was unfairly dismissed from GCS and steadily built that side up. I think that has been reflected in their form this year. Quality human being. There is no telling what he has learnt from having to build a club from scratch and what he could achieve with a list that is somewhat more developed (although our current form wouldnt support this).

Dean Laidley I just rate as an individual. Not sure why he quit/was fired from NM but he is just a stand up individual and comes from that shinboner era on NM. He was one of the skinniest guys out there but he was as tough as nails. We need some of that, and if MM was to leave then we wouldn't be seeing a whole new coach and direction coming in, in that there would be some continuation of what we are doing as a club and its direction.

Bassett, Kirk, Bolton, all the others? It's just guessing. If you're not satisfied with Malthouse. Then you're just taking a stab in the dark with someone new. This "due process" garbage is just that, garbage.

You guys are just dreaming with someone "like Alistair Clarkson". Because even that was just a guess, albeit an educated one.

The only person who's made me raise an eyebrow, is the earlier suggestion of Bomber Thompson. Otherwise if he wants it, it's Mick all the way. If some of "the fans" have an issue, then it's the fans that need to be delisted or not renewed.

If you think a proper recruitment process is garbage you're a bit of relic. The handshake deals of the past should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

The Hawks' appointment of Clarkson was not an accident. They took their time, worked out what they wanted, and found Clarkson. He was not the leading candidate going in, yet he got the job. In other words, a very successful process. You really concede this by calling it educated.

If you want to know why this once proud club is doing so poorly it is precisely because it not modernised its approaches to a range of things, chiefly recruitment practice (players, coaches and admin).

If you think a proper recruitment process is garbage you're a bit of relic. The handshake deals of the past should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

The Hawks' appointment of Clarkson was not an accident. They took their time, worked out what they wanted, and found Clarkson. He was not the leading candidate going in, yet he got the job. In other words, a very successful process. You really concede this by calling it educated.

If you want to know why this once proud club is doing so poorly it is precisely because it not modernised its approaches to a range of things, chiefly recruitment practice (players, coaches and admin).

Proper recruiting processes can still get you duds like Watters, Neeld, Sanderson etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back