Hot Topic Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Those three seem solid options.....someone posted previously Bolton not having any AFL playing experience might be an issue for player respect, but I am not sure that would be the case, not these days.

Hmm. Perhaps not for an assistant or skills coach but head coach? I think it would be an issue. To truly mentor someone, you have to have been there yourself.
In the back of the players' minds at least would be that nagging thought. "How can he demand this of us, how would HE know?"

Patrick Cripps. After being a 4 time premiership captain under Malthouse, he leaves the club and does a variety of assistant jobs at other clubs, before returning home to serve as an assistant under MM while a succession plan is implemented for him to take the reigns over from Mick.
Will he take over Micks walking frame as well?

TSG, will you promise to drive me to the WestGate if by some freak of impossibilities this ever happens? That or Tullamarine.
I'd rather leave what is already there in place. That people (not you) jump on this bandwagon once the club officially announces it's in rebuild....well hello, wake up and look around....given that we'd already given the Khyber Pass to 23 players in 2 years would've already indicated that "the rebuild" of the list was already well under way back in November 2013 when he offloaded 11. I see a lot of commentary that the game has passed MM by, but since most (media included) are only noticing the rebuild is underway now tends to make me wonder if it's those same commentators that have let the game pass them by.

I wouldn't expect you to know.
Whether in the real or virtual worlds, good people are hard to find and I'd have me some Bluesque over you anytime. Just because someone is of the opposite gender doesn't give you a licence to put them down.

Will he take over Micks walking frame as well?
Life support system lol.

Hmm. Perhaps not for an assistant or skills coach but head coach? I think it would be an issue. To truly mentor someone, you have to have been there yourself.
In the back of the players' minds at least would be that nagging thought. "How can he demand this of us, how would HE know?"

You raise valid points Biggus & for mine

Valid & points I am sure will be considered if & when the time comes.

because...

Leigh Tudor has been a senior assistant with Geelong, Sydney & St kilda whilst they were having success and has worked under Mark Thompson, Paul Roos & Ross Lyon.. Is current Assistant with North Melbourne and probably no coincidence they have improved since his arrival.. for me is the most credential assistant coach in the game.

Coaching recordCalder Cannons Asst. Coach 2001-2003
Western Jets Coach 2004
Geelong VFL Coach 2005-2008: P'Ship 2007
St Kilda Asst. Coach 2009-2010
Sydney Asst. Coach 2011-2013
North Melbourne 2014-

The other is Brenden Bolton who might just be one of those natural coaches that just has it.. I think he comes across as very raw and too young, but his results speak for themselves and is highly rated by the hawks.

Mick Malthouse and the team, one of the greatest coaches this great and unique game of ours has ever seen.
Be very patient a little longer, Baggers will be winning consecutive season games soon, then watch the Media do a miraculous turn around. It's hype and sensationalism, keeps turn styles swirling and the cash flowing.
Ciao

I'd give Mick a one year extension for now (lower salary) but I'd go ahead and sack most of the assistant coaches and bring in one of these young up and coming coaches that have been mentioned throughout this thread. Obviously these young coaches would get the gist that we'll be in a senior coach transition phase in the next couple of years and would have first crack if they do a great job. These days it's the assistants that help develop the team moreso and I think we lack in that department more than most.

Carlton is in a tough place right now...my only question marks over Malthouse is his personal commitment AND his ability or willingness to bud a coaching panel around himself that will survive his retirement - leaving a progressed list and a developed cohesive caching team to continue..

what pity the leaders or players on field have let him down so badly - and Ratten before him..

Club is hostage to a few overpaid under achievers unfortunately and only time can remove their lack of put in.

Can't see a difference with a new coach - facing the same on field issues.

For me the Malthouse decision is 90% financial, 10% age... I dont believe his results and his game day coaching is worth the 1.3mil he is paid each year... If he is willing to do it for $600k then reappoint him for 2 years.. But i suspect he wont.. I would rather get in a hungry Leigh Tudor on $600k than pay MM 1.3mil and the results over the next 5 years are likely to be identical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever it is won't make a difference unless we turf out the assistants at year's end. I can't recall the words "highly rated Carlton assistant" being uttered this millennium.

Last edited:
who cares what MM is paid....sick of all this crap about getting rid of the coach..who else is going to walk in turn things around...we are who we are we have the list we have for this season we are three games in to a 22 game season...we may well win our next 4 which is not beyond the realms of impossible...more likely I would expect than fulfillment of some of the lofty expectations and wishlists on this board...take a break, disappointment is part of supporting a club..good times bad times etc etc....

Jeepers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back