Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
You obviously have zero idea as to what Welsh did.

He spent years knocking on farm gates of properties that were not for sale.
He built investors behind him.

If you’ve tried to buy a rural property you’d know that they have completely different lending criteria compared to residential.

He had to unlock councils to devide land. ( and they are unfriendly in that regard).

He then had to have that land rezoned.
Massive, massive amounts of work.
To not call him a successful business man is a joke.

You’re probably sitting on your butt right now. And he’s probably having a cup of tea at another farm.
It’s easier to be a cynic than recognise achievement and effort I reckon

Seems a definite step in the right direction.

For the shemozzle the Rutten/Clarkson episode was, cleaning out Xavier and part of the board and now going through an actual process with external assistance to appoint a coach who from the outside seems the best fit - overall, I’m very happy with this.

Things might finally be changing

Wish I was deep in the bottles with James Hird tonight. He could tell me about how strong his PowerPoint for the panel was, while I’d probably constantly try to steer conversation back to how stressed I am at work and the sense I have that my stress is impacting my toddler’s behaviour. Probably crank up my “Because You Played Sonic Youth” playlist. Tania would yell “you blokes keep it down”. Once we had settled the noise James would quietly say “Brad Scott but.. what a hothead though, seriously”. Then I guess we’d have a wrestle.

And just before James loans me his car to drink drive home.. I take a little detour to scruffle a sleeping Tom’s hair and whisper “You shoulda got a shot mate, just to see what you were made of”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF the clubs preference is for a
an experienced senior AFL coach it narrows the field substantially - but not entirely to 1 person. I can see plenty of reasons for this to be the main requirement of the club and have no problem that Scott's name may have been on the board from the start (if that was the case).

That doesn't make it a sham or a head-hunting process. Plenty of this can still change to where they take a Hird or an Yze - and both options are still in play (just have a look at what's happened in the last week or so). For example If Scott went to Brisbane we could well be looking at Yze etc - the process honoured and we know what we are getting in Yze because of some decent due diligence for once.

You are always going to have preferences in a total market of about 10 people. That doesn't mean its not a good process. BTW I've been arguing hard out for years about EFC doing processes so for me to be defending them here must say something surely.

Really the only way I'd suspect this as our usual sham process is if Scott wants in and we take Hird instead.
I didn't say it was a sham process or that it was a head hunting process, although before last night it was starting to look like it.

I said that your comment was advocating for a sham process. I'll quote you again;

"If they've played it out to suit him so be it - that's what you need to do sometimes to get the best available person."

I now understand your angle, but you were inarticulate at best or a reflection of the club's ineptitude and desperation at worst. It even reflects that the 'best available person' has already been decided before the fact.

All the other stuff you wrote above simply describes EFC's view of how the process was to work. Thanks. I get it.

Nothing wrong with headhunting someone they believe would improve the outcome of the process.

The club did two things in the coaching search;
1. Hail mary-ed Clarkson to get the job without any process whatsoever.
2. Began a process for appointing a coach.

As part of the process they've contacted a number of candidates we know of e.g. Lyon, Pyke, Cameron, Hird & Scott, along with some we don't know for sure, and anyone else suitably qualified could also apply.

Through the process they've interviewed a number of those applicants - Solomon, Giansiracusa, Yze, Hird, Lade are all known, Caracella speculated, Scott allegedly happening today, Jaymie Graham interviewed at stage 1 but declined to go further, Lade has taken a job at the Dogs but we don't know if he declined or was told he wasn't progressing.

Yze we know has had at least one additional interview - at the Hanger. Scott - along with any other suitably experienced coach who applied like Pyke, Cameron or Lyon - skips part of the process but still needs to present to the club, and ask whatever they want to ask of the club.

We don't know who - if anyone - has done additional interviews other than Yze. We don't know who the actual frontrunner is in terms of what they've presented for their vision of the club.

We do know Scott has a proven senior coaching record over a long period of time, so chasing him to interview and present his views on the club is good business even if he doesn't get the job, because it gives broader perspective to what others are saying.

If Yze has come in and said 'this list is ready to be Top-4 next season' that might sound nice, but if a guy like Scott is coming in saying 'there's 2-3 years of development needed to get the list profile right and the defensive work-rate up to scratch' it puts some context around Yze's commentary being either on the right track, or on a totally different page.

There's no indication that Scott gets to skip the process, there's no indication that the job is his irrespective of what he says to the panel, there is a likelihood that for a club in the current position EFC is in that someone with Scott's resume would be ahead of someone with Yze's resume however.
Head hunting someone and inviting them to interview are two different things.

Not sure why you're giving me a recount of who has and has not interviewed. I'd been following it as closely as anyone.

You obviously have zero idea as to what Welsh did.

He spent years knocking on farm gates of properties that were not for sale.
He built investors behind him.

If you’ve tried to buy a rural property you’d know that they have completely different lending criteria compared to residential.

He had to unlock councils to devide land. ( and they are unfriendly in that regard).

He then had to have that land rezoned.
Massive, massive amounts of work.
To not call him a successful business man is a joke.

You’re probably sitting on your butt right now. And he’s probably having a cup of tea at another farm.

Even in a rant designed to amplify his achievements this doesn’t sound like particularly complex or impressive work. Property investment for people starting out with good connections and quite a few million in their back pocket is a license to print money.

Knocking on the door of some farmers and having his connections lobby councils to rezone land to his favour does not make him Bill Gates. Have a read of one or two of his tweets, the guy can hardly string a sentence together. I’ve got nothing against Welsh but let’s not make him out to be some incredibly intelligent self-made business guru.

And yes I am sitting on my butt - I work on a computer at a desk. Because I’m not a farmer.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Head hunting someone and inviting them to interview are two different things.

Not sure why you're giving me a recount of who has and has not interviewed. I'd been following it as closely as anyone.

Scott was invited to interview 3 weeks ago by the sounds of Cleary's tweet, I think it's reasonable to look at that as being following a process and not head hunting someone to avoid it.

Mahoney and Barham spoke to Scott three weeks ago along with a lot of other people, and Barham is really proud that none of the people he spoke to got out in the media even though the club tends to leak. He thinks that helped convince Scott that they were serious and a serious football club.

Scott wasn't the only one who told the club he couldn't be involved until after the grand final. Some odd comment about 'it depended how the day went'. (What so Pyke would throw his hat in the ring if Sydney won?)

Scott went through the same process as everyone else.

Only thing I haven’t liked is no thanks to all the candidates, that I can remember hearing or reading.
It doesn't all have to be in the papers. They would have all found out via phone call at the same time they were ringing Brad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back