Coach Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

15/8 Board toppled (reportedly will pursue Clarkson)
19/8 Alastair Clarkson to join North
21/8 Ben Rutten sacked
22/8 Coach selection sub-committee to be established to find a replacement
26/8 Committee members announced: Josh Mahoney (GM-Footy, chair), Dorothy Hisgrove (Board member), Andrew Thorburn, Simone McKinnis, Robert Walls, Jordan Lewis
7/9 James Hird, Dean Solomon, Brendon Lade, Adem Yze interviewed at EY
13/9 Daniel Giansiracusa reportedly interviewed
17/9 Don Pyke “not pursuing that at this stage”
21/9 Brad Scott contacted by the club but won’t make a decision on whether to pursue the role until after the Grand Final
21/9 Adem Yze has second interview and tours the training facilities at Tullamarine
22/9 Blake Caracella will put his hat in the ring
27/9 Brendon Lade appointed as assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs, out of the running for Essendon job
28/9 Brad Scott to be interviewed on Thursday
29/9

Last edited:
I love what Rutten did with trying to bring all the history back and embrace the place. But if you're not showing up every few weeks and getting belted all the time, what kind of culture does that build?
It's been said many many times before, but bears repeating. Young teams occasionally have poor period of times and get belted. The recent history of the AFL is littered with examples of young teams with young coaches going through these poor periods and then winning flags. Beating a grand finalist and a prelim finalist and going close twice against another of the prelim teams showed the bloke could coach.

There's no obligation to put a caretaker as the next coach. That basically never happens, caretakers caretake then someone else starts their new job after the season is finished.

Who honestly gives a * what the media and opposition supporters are saying? Their opinions don't matter.

The problem we have is that the talk inside the industry, from people who know the club's employees quite well, hear things that make them apprehensive and discourage their peers from applying. And it's not even speculation or gossip, the facts speak for themselves.
  • President secretly extends contract of CEO
  • President at odds with the board
  • Board of directors at odds with the CEO and the Senior Coach
  • CFO resigns
  • Couple of other GMs resign
  • Head of Women's Footy resigns
  • Premiership Winning VFLW Senior Coach/newly appointed Head of Player and Coach Development resigns
  • GM-Football and GM-List & Recruiting at odds with each other
  • President overthrown
  • Vice-president/finance director resigns
  • Former president resigns
  • Footy director resigns
  • Long time champion player & director resigns
  • Chase after Clarkson at 2 seconds to midnight & a director who didn't resign immediately goes rogue and torpedoes it live on broadcast radio. Clarkson chooses North.
  • Merrett comes out and talks about how dysfunctional things are and how it's disappointing given he was sold a vision and stability not even 12 months ago when he re-signed
  • Hurley comes out and talks about how the club hasn't been stable since they were drafted in 2009
  • Senior coach sacked
  • External review announced
  • CEO resigns
  • Coaching selection sub-committee announced
"My career at this club would be extremely long and successful, I can see that the incumbents would be supportive of me and we have a shared vision for the future. Where do I sign?"
Yeah but Dodo is there and can attest to it being an environment that provides very stable employment regardless of results.

Reads like the tale of a bottom 4 club. Oh wait, we are a bottom 4 club. Though if we'd just tread water for another 8 months, or acted 4 months earlier we'd be better off?
If we'd put in a new coach before the entire shitshow kicked off, or waited until the dust settled after the shitshow, then yes, we'd be in a better position.

Show me another club sacking their coach and kicking off an external review in Round 22 while half the leadership positions are vacant

Yeah but Dodo is there and can attest to it being an environment that provides very stable employment regardless of results.
It does when you know where all the bodies are buried and have a copy of the missing spreadsheet.

From an outsiders viewpoint, this coaching appointment is a fascinating watch. At least you're getting your man before North and Brisbane enter the coach market!

It's been said many many times before, but bears repeating. Young teams occasionally have poor period of times and get belted. The recent history of the AFL is littered with examples of young teams with young coaches going through these poor periods and then winning flags. Beating a grand finalist and a prelim finalist and going close twice against another of the prelim teams showed the bloke could coach.
Matty Knights beat the undefeatable saints.

It does when you know where all the bodies are buried and have a copy of the missing spreadsheet.

From an outsiders viewpoint, this coaching appointment is a fascinating watch. At least you're getting your man before North and Brisbane enter the coach market!
Thank god we didn't get Clarko. One of the rare examples where our incompetence has paid off.

If we'd put in a new coach before the entire shitshow kicked off, or waited until the dust settled after the shitshow, then yes, we'd be in a better position.

Show me another club sacking their coach and kicking off an external review in Round 22 while half the leadership positions are vacant
Maybe it was the shitshow we had to have? It seems those that left had their crack, backed Rutten and it didn't work out. Are they the guys you then want taking the club further forward?

Slowly but surely most supporters are of the opinion the club hasn't been ran particularly well, so why then do we jump up and down that those running it are being turned over?

Maybe it was the shitshow we had to have? It seems those that left had their crack, backed Rutten and it didn't work out. Are they the guys you then want taking the club further forward?

Slowly but surely most supporters are of the opinion the club hasn't been ran particularly well, so why then do we jump up and down that those running it are being turned over?
The consternation is as much as anything that it’s the onfield component of the club who continually cop it in the neck, while those off field who’ve presided over two decades of garbage (Dodoro being a particularly egregious example) have largely coasted through unscathed.

Honestly, I'd have had him probably 5th.

Preferred list from months ago was:

1. Lyon
2. Hird
3. Clarkson

I'd then have gone something like:

4. Buckley
5. Scott.

I've actually wanted the man to be a true US style GM for a while. Had the combination of footy and admi experience.

I'm not anti-Scott. If this plays out as it is appearing to play out, I am asking why we limited ourselves to a guy whose record is not beyond dispute.
So considering who's available Scott is no. 2 on your list. Not surprised you want Hird.
Not sure when comparing the the two that that you could come to your last conclusion.

Who is jumping up and down?

Firing Truck either earlier or later isn't about saving his career, but it would give the next coach and the club a much better chance at success than appointing him in the midst of an external review with half the club's leadership positions vacant and most of the plans for the off-season already made without him.

Free agency literally starts tomorrow, the trade period is on Monday. Most of the players requesting trades have already done so. If you're a player and Dodoro comes knocking with no coach to sell you the vision or your place in it, why would you even consider it? (Proof is in the pudding, we're not a serious consideration for any of the players we have pursued.)

If we still had Rutten we'd stand a solid chance with Bowes, Gunston or whoever. If we'd had Scott, Yze, Lyon, etc. in place since the end of August same thing. But as it stands the list build will treadwater for 12 months instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firing Truck either earlier or later isn't about saving his career, but it would give the next coach and the club a much better chance at success than appointing him in the midst of an external review with half the club's leadership positions vacant and most of the plans for the off-season already made without him.

Free agency literally starts tomorrow, the trade period is on Monday. Most of the players requesting trades have already done so. If you're a player and Dodoro comes knocking with no coach to sell you the vision or your place in it, why would you even consider it? (Proof is in the pudding, we're not a serious consideration for any of the players we have pursued.)

If we still had Rutten we'd stand a solid chance with Bowes, Gunston or whoever. If we'd had Scott, Yze, Lyon, etc. in place since the end of August same thing. But as it stands the list build will treadwater for 12 months instead.
I think the point is none of these players are going to make much difference anyway.
i would argue Bowes is the most valuable and that is because pick 7 is aligned with him.
‘we were never a chance for Taranto or hopper and the others are just bit players.
rutten wasnt the man.
scott or yes might be which gives us a better chance next year.
the review will hopefully clear redundant staff / characters like dodoro, Harvey and sheedy
if the review is thorough and we get a better ceo and a better coach we win.
‘we draft more kids and build our side the right way

So considering who's available Scott is no. 2 on your list. Not surprised you want Hird.
Not sure when comparing the the two that that you could come to your last conclusion.
Hird is the desired coach of the out and out nuffies. Need I say more

I agree, we should have something in place but most players are moving to a club for

• $$ Dollars / longer contract
  • Opportunities in senior side
The consternation is as much as anything that it’s the onfield component of the club who continually cop it in the neck, while those off field who’ve presided over two decades of garbage (Dodoro being a particularly egregious example) have largely coasted through unscathed.
Well Campbell is gone now, a fair portion of the board. Who survives post the external review remains to be seen. Probably a better time to be making decisions on the list management team than clearing house right before the off season.

How many FAs/trade want-aways have nominate bottom 4 sides, other than to shift state?

List management moves forward with Mahoney sounding out the intentions of the coaches he is speaking to as part of their selection process. We'd be wasting a year recruiting players under the impression Rutten is the coach only for us to go in another direction in 12 months time.

let me ask this - i know perspective is everything but say its 3 months ago and we hadn't sacked our coach yet. Where would Brad Scott be on your list of guys you'd think could be a great coach option for us...a little bit of bile would probably come up

now because its last man standing hes somehow the gold standard
i'd have thought "might be cool" which is pretty much how i feel now

Trust The Process GIF by New Amsterdam

nekminit

Snl Throw Out GIF by Saturday Night Live

Over It Help GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back