Movie Who should be the next Bond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Roger Moore & Pierce Brosnan were anything but obscure, having previously had major TV roles in "The Saint" and "Remington Steele" respectively.

George Lazenby, on the other hand, was male model from Queanbeyan, who had no acting experience at all (which was abundantly clear in OHMSS). They don't come much more obscure than that.
Fair shout. I knew Brosnan wasn't exactly obscure but wasn't sure on Moore.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
I just don't understand how it's supposed to be James Bond again now they've finished NTTD like that.
They'll just reboot like they did with Craig. Prior to Craig all the Eon Movie bonds were the same guy. i.e. Connery, Lazenby, Connery, Moore, Dalton & Brosnan were just different actors playing the same in universe person. (i.e. they were all acknowledged to have been married to Tracey and all were a Royal Navy Commander etc.)

It might have been better if they'd gone the fan theory path and had Craig's character assigned the Bond persona along with the 007 designation.

"Congratulations 007 from now on you'll be know as James Bond, you were orphaned at a young age and inherited a large estate in the Scottish moors called Skyfall, you formerly served in the Royal Navy reaching the rank of Commander, you have a dead wife named Tracey whom you are required to mourn on the anniversary of your wedding, the rest of you life story if in this file, please study it carefully."

Last edited:

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would normally say no to a big name but a Christopher Nolan trilogy with Tom Hardy as Bond would be pretty interesting.

Maybe Sam Heughan. He's not that young and my friend who isn't into boyish looking guys thinks he's hot s**t so I guess he qualifies as "rugged" enough?

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Would normally say no to a big name but a Christopher Nolan trilogy with Tom Hardy as Bond would be pretty interesting.

Maybe Sam Heughan. He's not that young and my friend who isn't into boyish looking guys thinks he's hot sh*t so I guess he qualifies as "rugged" enough?

Yeah a lot of the good choices of the last decade are starting to age out of the role. 30 to 45 would be the range but ideally 35-40 would be the sweet spot.

Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
I can't believe nobody has suggested The Rock....

Seriously though Idris Elba would have been soooo freakin good, missed opportunity there.
I don't mind Hiddleston, if you've seen the show The Night Manager you can see he has already shown Bond like chops, but admit he isn't a perfect fit.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
He's aged out like Elba etc.

He (The Rock) wouldn't have been very good, but it's the age thing that rules him out. He's a Canadian citizen via his father so he was eligible otherwise.

Like I've said many of the options are pushing it on the age to start playing bond. i.e. Even if he would be a good fit Ryan Reynolds (like Hemsworth I think his comedic persona hurts him) would be out due to age.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Seriously though Idris Elba would have been soooo freakin good, missed opportunity there.
I don't mind Hiddleston, if you've seen the show The Night Manager you can see he has already shown Bond like chops, but admit he isn't a perfect fit.

I read something about Idris being a Bond villain maybe. Hiddleston would also be a good Bond villain.

I'd love to see Giancarlo Esposito as a Bond villain.

If Hardy isn't Bond he could be a good Bond villain, but personally I don't want to see any involvement from Hardy if Nolan isn't directing.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I read something about Idris being a Bond villain maybe. Hiddleston would also be a good Bond villain.

I'd love to see Giancarlo Esposito as a Bond villain.

If Hardy isn't Bond he could be a good Bond villain, but personally I don't want to see any involvement from Hardy if Nolan isn't directing.
Yeah once they've aged out playing the villain is a good option. Agree about Hiddleston he would probably make an even better Bond villain than a Bond.

I think it's been reported that they may have signed Elba on (or are in talks) for another role (probably a villain) in the next movie.

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's aged out like Elba etc.

He (The Rock) wouldn't have been very good, but it's the age thing that rules him out. He's a Canadian citizen via his father so he was eligible otherwise.

Like I've said many of the options are pushing it on the age to start playing bond. i.e. Even if he would be a good fit Ryan Reynolds (like Hemsworth I think his comedic persona hurts him) would be out due to age.

Elba still looks good for 49. He could go for 2-3 movies imo.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elba still looks good for 49. He could go for 2-3 movies imo.
He probably would have been a good Bond but I think it is too late. Maybe if there hadn't been delays and Craig had finished up with Spectre he might have still had time. Then again if that was the case they probably would have just signed Cavill as the replacement.

I'd think they want to sign them on for 3-4 films which would probably be at least 10 years which would have him pushing 60.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
TV wasn't as prestigious back them. Being a well-known TV actor wasn't the same as being a movie star, which is what we're talking about.
Nah... you're just looking for a way to win the argument.

The fact is that both actors were very well known, which doesn't fit with the "Bond actors must come from obscurity" stereotype you're trying to peddle. There are certainly some Bond actors who fit that stereotype (Lazenby being a prime example), but Moore & Brosnan definitely don't.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Am I wrong?

The fact is that both actors were very well known, which doesn't fit with the "Bond actors must come from obscurity" stereotype you're trying to peddle. There are certainly some Bond actors who fit that stereotype (Lazenby being a prime example), but Moore & Brosnan definitely don't.
They weren't movie stars, much less A-listers like Tom Hardy or Henry Cavill, which is what we're discussing.

I never said "Bond actors must come from obscurity". Maybe you've confused me with someone else. I said it's unlikely an established A-lister will be cast, particularly someone already associated with a massive film franchise.

Yes, Moore and Brosnan had been on TV. They weren't complete unknowns. Of course not. Nor was Daniel Craig. But they weren't A-list movie stars. That's the point.

Argue something else if you want. Have fun with that.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Does the actor have to be British? John Krasinski, Scott Eastwood or Jai Courtney might be able to pull off a generic James Bond accent.

But the character is dead (shame on them). They might go for a reboot with a younger actor as he starts his secret service career.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Is this your first time speaking with Sweet Jesus?

Is there any reason the actor has to be young, does it need to be a full reboot and reset? Why not do an older Bond for a couple of films, then someone like Hardy or Elba would be great while they wait for the right young actor to come along.

Or, a little out of left field, Dev Patel? Good looking guy, could play very smooth, only 31.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Does the actor have to be British? John Krasinski, Scott Eastwood or Jai Courtney might be able to pull off a generic James Bond accent.

But the character is dead (shame on them). They might go for a reboot with a younger actor as he starts his secret service career.
British, or Commonwealth - which leaves things pretty open.

Bond, with an American accent, would be just plain wrong.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
British, or Commonwealth - which leaves things pretty open.

Bond, with an American accent, would be just plain wrong.

I meant a non-British actor playing Bond and doing a British accent. Every show I watch has Brits playing American characters.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

Basically they must be British, Irish or Commonwealth so John Krasinski and Scott Eastwood as Americans aren't eligible, Jai Courtney as an Australian is but he's s**t any way ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back