Movie Who should be the next Bond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bond producer Barbara Broccoli seems to be doubling down on the idea that Bond must remain male and British (though not necessarily white).

"I think it will be a man because I don't think a woman should play James Bond ... I believe in making characters for women and not just having women play men's roles. I don't think there are enough great roles for women, and it's very important to me that we make movies for women about women. He should be British, so British can be any [ethnicity or race]."

Bond producer Barbara Broccoli seems to be doubling down on the idea that Bond must remain male and British (though not necessarily white).

"I think it will be a man because I don't think a woman should play James Bond ... I believe in making characters for women and not just having women play men's roles. I don't think there are enough great roles for women, and it's very important to me that we make movies for women about women. He should be British, so British can be any [ethnicity or race]."

She said this ages ago, think it's pretty clear that we're not likely to see the James Bond character suddenly be Jane Bond. Which is a good thing.

As she says; make a great character for a woman, don't just take a man's character and plonk a woman in it for the sake of it.

He was pretty bland in the Enternals so I have my reservations , he was also fantastic in the bodyguard
I’m in two minds about him personally

Just can never get past his pronunciation of "Ma'am" in Bodyguard though, hah.

I don't think he has the depth for it, although British, Charlie Hunnam.

She said this ages ago, think it's pretty clear that we're not likely to see the James Bond character suddenly be Jane Bond. Which is a good thing.

As she says; make a great character for a woman, don't just take a man's character and plonk a woman in it for the sake of it.
It's all well and good saying 'just make great women's characters' but the reality is a lot of decision makers are men that don't think original women characters will sell tickets, plus we know existing IP offers a greater chance of success, which is why we are seeing shared universes, sequels, spin-offs etc. A successful 'Jane Bond' movie might make studios more willing to make female-led films.

I'm neither here nor there; happy to accept James Bond the way he is, but just as happy to accept it as a code name that can be any race or gender. It's a fictional movie character, if it's entertaining and still comes across as a James Bond film, then all's good.

What about Richard Madden, of GoT and Bodyguard tv series, oh he’s Scottish, then again Sean Connery was Scottish

He's not really a favourite in the betting odds, but Sam Heughan would be a good one IMO. A Scottish bond would be a nice throwback to Connery's run.

It's all well and good saying 'just make great women's characters' but the reality is a lot of decision makers are men that don't think original women characters will sell tickets, plus we know existing IP offers a greater chance of success, which is why we are seeing shared universes, sequels, spin-offs etc. A successful 'Jane Bond' movie might make studios more willing to make female-led films.

I'm neither here nor there; happy to accept James Bond the way he is, but just as happy to accept it as a code name that can be any race or gender. It's a fictional movie character, if it's entertaining and still comes across as a James Bond film, then all's good.

Why can't they more or less bring out 2 movies in the span of 12 months - one being James and the other being Jane?

I mean, the world seems happy to accept 25 superhero movies a year (...and for me, I don't get it..)

With Daniel Craig bowing out who should be the actor to replace him as James Bond 007?

Rules:
  1. Actor should be over 30 but under 45 (preferably under 40)
  2. Actor must be from the British Isles (including Ireland) or the Commonwealth (Australia, Canada, South Africa, Singapore, India etc)
  3. Any gender
  4. Any ethnicity
  5. Must be above average height (i.e. approaching 6ft or taller)
Notes: Regardless of the actor the character should still be called James Bond and be part of the British Upper Class.

fits the age bracket and geographic upbringing. suave, wears a suit, nice voice. could pass for 6ft at 5ft 10.

michael buble

Re: the calls for a female Bond, I was rewatching No Time to Die last night, and while I'm very lukewarm on the movie I forgot how awesome Ana de Armas is as Paloma for her short sequence in the middle of the film.

While we shouldn't have a female Bond, they'd be crazy not to try building an equivalent franchise around her and that character. She's stunning, funny and very talented, and the character has real potential.

Last edited:
Re: the calls for a female Bond, I was rewatching No Time to Die last night, and while I'm very lukewarm on the movie I forgot how awesome Ana de Armas is as Paloma for her short sequence in the middle of the film.

While we shouldn't have a female Bond, they'd be crazy not to try building an equivalent franchise around her and that character. She's stunning, funny and very talented, and the character has real potential.
She's arguably the only positive, in what is a staggeringly awful Bond movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She is leading the john wick spin off Ballerina

From what I have heard and seen online, there is no way the Broccoli Family will allow nor want a female Bond.

I enjoyed the role that Lashana Lynch took up as the female 007 in No Time to Die, it was something very different and unique to the Bond universe. However I have no desire to see a multi movie story arc involving a female 007 as the main protagonist.

Will be interesting to see what actors they may bring over from Craig's Bond into the new Bond. Ana de Armas would be an excellent choice.

From what I have heard and seen online, there is no way the Broccoli Family will allow nor want a female Bond.

I enjoyed the role that Lashana Lynch took up as the female 007 in No Time to Die, it was something very different and unique to the Bond universe. However I have no desire to see a multi movie story arc involving a female 007 as the main protagonist.

Will be interesting to see what actors they may bring over from Craig's Bond into the new Bond. Ana de Armas would be an excellent choice.
Yep... they're not averse to having a female 007 (as we saw in NTTD), but not a female Bond.

Bond can be any race or colour (though he was definitely a white scotsman in the books) as far as they're concerned, but he must always remain male.

Yep... they're not averse to having a female 007 (as we saw in NTTD), but not a female Bond.

Bond can be any race or colour (though he was definitely a white scotsman in the books) as far as they're concerned, but he must always remain male.
If we're okay with changing his nationality and race, then I don't see why we absolutely cannot change his gender. Seems a strange hill.

I'm not fussed either way, but I would say I'm a little over Bond. There's been plenty of variations of the same idea over the decades. They did a good arc with Craig that gave you a satisfying conclusion. A woman with Bond's attributes is at least fresh. Otherwise, I reckon the idea should be retired for at least 10 years.

Last edited:
If we're okay with changing his nationality and race, then I don't see why we absolutely cannot change his gender. Seems a strange hill.

I'm not fussed either way, but I would say I'm a little over Bond. There's been plenty of variations of the same idea over the decades. They did a good arc with Craig that gave you a satisfying conclusion. A woman with Bond's attributes is at least fresh. Otherwise, I reckon the idea should be retired for at least 10 years.
You call NTTD a "satisfying conclusion"? Good grief!

I’m the first to advocate for changing characters in whatever way you like but Bonds toxic masculinity is a pretty defining aspect of the character.
Make Jane Bond if you like I’ll go watch it but unless it’s a sister I can’t see how it’ll be linked
Nah I reckon a female James Bond with all the traditional Bond characteristics would be a hoot. James is a unisex enough name that you wouldn't need to change it. The only necessary change would be replacing the tuxedo with a cocktail dress.

Upper class, arrogant, misogynistic (in this case hypocritical), philandering, alcoholic with a chip on their shoulder and distain for authority.

Maybe the sort who's father treated them as a drinking buddy instead of a daughter. Hell maybe the father is the James Bond we're familiar with and due to his lifestyle frequently absent and they spend most of their childhood at various boarding schools and in the care of nannies because this is James Bond we're talking about and the mother is almost certainly dead.

Last edited:
Nah I reckon a female James Bond with all the traditional Bond characteristics would be a hoot. James is a unisex enough name that you wouldn't need to change it. The only necessary change would be replacing the tuxedo with a cocktail dress.

Upper class, arrogant, misogynistic (in this case hypocritical), philandering, alcoholic with a chip on their shoulder and distain for authority.

Maybe the sort who's father treated them as a drinking buddy instead of a daughter. Hell maybe the father is the James Bond we're familiar with and due to his lifestyle frequently absent and they spend most of their childhood at various boarding schools and in the care of nannies because this is James Bond we're talking about and the mother is almost certainly dead.

should still make use of the bond girl in this instance as well. would pique my interest immediately. not because lesbians, but because of the spanner in the works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back