Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nathan Bock

• Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In 5 years, at the Gold Coast:

Ablett: Look, mate. I know you want to go back home and I know they're offering you a lot more money than us but you should remember the club that made you what you are, the fans who supported you and your team mates.

Player: But isn't that what you did?

Ablett: Well....ah...well...

Geez. It will be fun watching them try to instill a sense of loyalty up there.

How's that lemon taste?

For a 2nd there I thought it was Ablett that won the brownlow, not the club and fans. I thought it was ablett that when out there and got 30 plus possies week in week out, not the club or fans. I thought it was Ablett who got 40 touches in his last game for geelong when everyone else did SFA. Not the club or the fans.

Geelong supporters are deluded if they think they and the club made gazza. They helped him no doubt, and were good to him no doubt. It must hurt to see him go but Ablett did every bit as much for geelong and its supporters as they did for him.

If swan leaves to gws next year for twice as much I wont blame him. And for fine both Ablett and Swan strike me as to people who will need to make hay while the sun shines if you know what I mean...

This is a no-brainer - Gazza.

Has the work-ethic, professionalism, and ample grand final experience along with a lead-by-example personality to inspire and motivate his team mates. Easily will be the Suns inaugural captain.

Browny's probably not polished enough behind a microphone, but when it comes to team standards and setting the bar for the intensity required, the young guys at GC could probably have no one better to follow.

I disagree that Brown isn't polished enough. He oozes confidence but his main problem is seperating his witty/sarcastic personality with a serious role.

I always laugh when someone posts something like this in a thread. Why the hell did you open it then? If you don't care about something you don't read it.

I opened it to see what options were floating around and found the usual "Gaz will have trouble with loyalty discussions", "Campbell brown is not up to it" chit chat.

Again. Apart from a Suns supporter who would really care?

I opened it to see what options were floating around and found the usual "Gaz will have trouble with loyalty discussions", "Campbell brown is not up to it" chit chat.

Again. Apart from a Suns supporter who would really care?

I imagine it would be football followers who are interested in seeing who will captain this vital expansion club. I don't think there are that many who are solely focused on their own club and don't take a peek out at the rest of the competition every now and then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No love for Rischitelli here?

I would of thought it would have been out of him and GAJ.

This would be my preferred structure if I was calling the shots.

Captain (Ablett/Rischitelli)
-
Vice-Captain (Brown)
Vice-Captain (Ablett/Rischitelli)
-
Leadership Group Player #1 (Fraser)
Leadership Group Player #2 (Lock)
Leadership Group Player #3 (?)

I have a few doubts over Bock's leadership abilities but Crows supporters and GC officials would know better. Same with Brennan.

No love for Rischitelli here?

I don't remember seeing him displaying any leadership potential at the Lions.

Being the best player should not be the criteria for becoming the captain. Just look at Brett Kirk, he never stood out as the best player on the field for them but there was no doubt in anyone's mind that he was the captain.

Nick Maxwell isn't the best player at Collingwood but not too many people dispute his captaincy.

So I don't think Ablett is an automatic selection either.

I would be surprised if anyone other than Ablett or Brown got the gig. Either of these two are about the best options we've got at this stage and I'm not overly fussed which one gets the gig. With such a young list, it's the next captain that I'm more interested in. About 4 - 5 years down the track, one of the young guns will assume the mantle, and we'll have a much wider group of candidates to choose from - David Swallow, Mav Weller, Josh Caddy, Seb Tape, Joel Wilkinson, Marc Lock, Luke Russell, Josh Toy, Charlie Dixon and more. This will hopefully be the captain that leads us through a successful era. Finding players with leadership skills and good character were high on the list of our recruiters' key objectives.

I don't remember seeing him displaying any leadership potential at the Lions.

Being the best player should not be the criteria for becoming the captain. Just look at Brett Kirk, he never stood out as the best player on the field for them but there was no doubt in anyone's mind that he was the captain.

Nick Maxwell isn't the best player at Collingwood but not too many people dispute his captaincy.

So I don't think Ablett is an automatic selection either.

I agree with you regarding the best player-captaincy thing.

Rischa has showed plenty of leadership though I've felt, particularly in a team that isn't short of great leaders (Brown, Black etc.)

He probably isn't the most vocal bloke, but that can happen in a team not short on dominant figures. He is going to be a certain leader amongst a team of teenagers and VFL/SANFL players stepping up.

You don't have to look far for opinions in the media regarding his leadership...

Rischitelli is a fiercely determined character whose leadership credentials rose to the fore in Brisbane's scandal-plagued 2010 season.

Source

Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna said Rischitelli would add "experience and leadership" to his young side... "He is of great character, reliable, and a very good worker on the training track. He will bring fantastic experience and leadership to our club."

Source

Brown is a great player to have around a young list. and is a lock in my mind for VC but........ he isn't really the captain materiel more of an off field leader.

if Ablett gets the gig the leadership would probably be spread among a few players, he will just be the face.

Rischitelli shows leadership on filed but not as much as ablett and shows leadership off but probably not as much as brown.

I would say it would be:

Captain: Ablett
Vice Captain: Brown
Vice Captain: Rischitelli

But behind closed doors it would be more of a joint captaincy.

has to be ablett for sure he is there best player
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif

I agree with you regarding the best player-captaincy thing.

Rischa has showed plenty of leadership though I've felt, particularly in a team that isn't short of great leaders (Brown, Black etc.)

He probably isn't the most vocal bloke, but that can happen in a team not short on dominant figures. He is going to be a certain leader amongst a team of teenagers and VFL/SANFL players stepping up.

You don't have to look far for opinions in the media regarding his leadership...

Can't really argue with you there. Then again, I wouldn't be shocked if all of the poached players, bar Brennan (who is just too damned lairy to lead), were given leadership roles.

Has to be Ablett and I suspect that it would have been part of the package to lure him up there.

It will be interesting, since Gary Snr. is such a recluse these days, I wonder how much of the 'hush, hush' has rubbed off on Jnr.??

Maybe he'll just handle it better??

Back