• Mitch Wallis

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Beyond the captaincy who is coming into the leadership group in the absence of Roughie & Redpath?
I’d like to see McCrae. Reliable, resilient, consistent, stable character. A bonafide A grader as well. How is he not already there is the real question.
Players should only have half the say on leadership, coaches the other half. It used to be only the coach, now it’s all the players. Needs to be balanced.
Trengrove??

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is the perfect scenario to have co-captains in 2019. Bont is a once in a generation player and leader. We know how good a player he is, but he speaks so well in the media and probably to his teammates too, his leadership seems mighty as well.
Wood is now Bulldog royalty, but could be slowing playing wise?? Easton is also a great leader, but sharing the load of leadership would free any anxiety as a player. Co-captains 2019 and possibly 2020 then the Bont.
Never ever do i want co captains.

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The elephant in the room is that Wood is Captain and on form probably doesn't make the best 22 after 2 very average years.
Injuries and spending months training to be a forward will do that.

Wood this year and then we transition.

The problem we have, if you can call it a problem is that bont has been next in line for 3 years or so.

There are a coupla guys who should come into the discussion but it is a one horse race after wood's premiership dynasty.

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Personally, I'd like to see Bont and Hunter as co-captains. I get the hype behind Bont, but I still feel that Hunter is the better choice for captain in the first place, while Bont would be very unlucky to miss out. Having co-captains has worked great for other clubs so I don't see why not for us
When has co captains worked for other clubs? I hate the idea.

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d like to see McCrae. Reliable, resilient, consistent, stable character. A bonafide A grader as well. How is he not already there is the real question.
Players should only have half the say on leadership, coaches the other half. It used to be only the coach, now it’s all the players. Needs to be balanced.
Trengrove??
Wtf is this sport obsessed with having kids in leadership roles. Leades have experience and maturity.

Kids are kids who are finding their way.

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
If there's any rule in life I feel like it's not to follow Carlton's lead on anything.

It is a sad reality as a Gowers/Bailey Smith co-captaincy in a couple of years would be mint.

Bulldocker

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WB,Claremont,Seahawks,Canucks
Macrae can't even crack a mention in the poll options ???
He'll be the Dog's next Brownlow winner and his onfield leadership by example is second to none.
A combination of he and Bont would cover the captaincy situation pretty nicely for the next decade I woulda thought.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Reading between the lines, I think our leadership has been a little bit soft in the last year or two

It would seem a few of the players weren't completely going at 100% and there were reports of schisms within the playing group

For all of his great qualities, 'm not sure Easton Wood has the personality type to deal with issues of this type like a natural captain would.

We are a young team who need to be led by a natural leader of men.

It's not often you get an individual who is absolutely elite as an onfield and off-field exsmple, comfortable in the media and a clearly mature individual who can give to others but also point the figure when required.

Bont will be in his 6th year, he's played over 100 games and is a multiple club champ, allaustralian with the natural authority of excellence.

We don't need a wishy-washy co-captain option. We have our leader.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Love Macrae as a player but he’s very vanilla when it comes to face to face leadership. You only have to compare his interviews/media spots with Bonts you see why he’s not captain material.
I’m also not a big fan of Wood as a captain. Bit of a strange unit. When he’s in form he leads by example, when he’s not, he goes missing.
We saw that last season when we were struggling.

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Love Macrae as a player but he’s very vanilla when it comes to face to face leadership. You only have to compare his interviews/media spots with Bonts you see why he’s not captain material.
I’m also not a big fan of Wood as a captain. Bit of a strange unit. When he’s in form he leads by example, when he’s not, he goes missing.
We saw that last season when we were struggling.
I honestly don’t know how you can make statements like this unless you’re in the four walls of the club. I don’t know how anyone in here can..

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The only thing separating Bont and Wood last year in terms of leadership was title and I expect it t be the same this year. They’re pretty much co-captains already. If Wood goes down again next year (which isn’t unlikely given his history) bont will toss the coin like much of this year. Won’t be much change on that front. As for the two players replacing Roughead and Red, I’d like to see Wallis and Gowers step up!

Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Macrae can't even crack a mention in the poll options ???
He'll be the Dog's next Brownlow winner and his onfield leadership by example is second to none.
A combination of he and Bont would cover the captaincy situation pretty nicely for the next decade I woulda thought.

Being a great player doesn't make you a leader. From what I can tell, he's more on the reserved side and probably one of the quieter guys.

Back