Who should coach Freo in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

A groupie must be a new term for a Lyontologist or a sycophant etc

Who's a groupie?

You a supporter who comes online to criticises the club that you love.
so if your kid burns down his school locker or hits his sister in the head, you can't criticise him?

what if your best mate, who you love, rooted your girlfriend? don't criticise him?

you're the biggest namby-pamby on here. you defend Fremantle regardless of anything. completely refute any criticism. but you do it in a way that burns and attacks the man at the other end. you preach love and bong smoking but you're completely vicious towards those with differing opinions. no one here wants Ross Lyon to get AIDS or for the grandstand to fall on Steve Rosich: people just want them out of their job so the club can improve and jump to its potential. but you get personal, undermine people's support, and raise this card of 'well I love the club... you don't...!'

so if your kid burns down his school locker or hits his sister in the head, you can't criticise him?

what if your best mate, who you love, rooted your girlfriend? don't criticise him?

you're the biggest namby-pamby on here. you defend Fremantle regardless of anything. completely refute any criticism. but you do it in a way that burns and attacks the man at the other end. you preach love and bong smoking but you're completely vicious towards those with differing opinions. no one here wants Ross Lyon to get AIDS or for the grandstand to fall on Steve Rosich: people just want them out of their job so the club can improve and jump to its potential. but you get personal, undermine people's support, and raise this card of 'well I love the club... you don't...!'
I’m yet to see anything constructive from ole jedi, generally just tries to shoot down anyone with an opinion (cause the club is travelling along just dandy) & finishes with an insult line. Obviously never heard of the positive negative positive tact.
Don’t block him though, it’s too much fun!

was apparently approached in about 2014 (from a mate who's one of the very few who rocks up to every Subi game and ends up in the rooms).

don't rate the bloke that much and coaching that Subi side was pretty straight forward.

Brett Ratten for me. he took a terrible list to finals and was stuck in that Carlton predicament of playing finals but never taking risks because it'll cook your career. Mick Malthouse, the silly old senile dickhead, went there and it fell to s**t. as it should have before. he's been at one of the best teams ever with the Hawks, under a great guy and smart coach and no nonsense and simple dude with Clarko, and has gone through personal agony and understands what matters in life. and how to speak to young men now. look at this video of him where he tells a young bloke to have a shot at goal, cos if he hits it, he's debuting. the kid doesn't hit it but the moment isn't lost. that's what this team needs: a cuddle, a 'come on mate, what are you doing out there? you are better than this s**t. seriously. you've got all the talent!' instead of Ross Lyon fawning over the same core players and screaming down your throat.

Ratten, Longmuir assistant.

I'd even take Teague.

If Carlton are dumb enough to let Teague go..we bring him in.

He’s the best of the Caretakers and I really rate Ratten.

How about we get Brad Scott here and surround him with good assistants on the proviso Cam Zurhaar gets homesick, would save the Roos $800k if Scott gets another job...we just have to convince someone to pick up Ross.

Without reading through the 30+ pages. I think my choice would have to be Caracella.

Been involved in three successful clubs and there is a lot I admire about the Richmond culture, it seems top notch to me. Getting the best out of Stack just one example.

Would be offering Caracella the job with his own personnel wishlist of assistants to try and bring over

Barely played for freo, had s**t relationships with the inner sanctum and from memory was pushed out before the end of 06. Has a lot more affiliation with Wce & Port.

He absolutely despised Peels affiliation with freo too.
Interesting, thanks. I suppose the affiliation doesn't have to continue indefinitely, but for now it isn't going anywhere so maybe it'd put him off.

Without reading through the 30+ pages. I think my choice would have to be Caracella.

Been involved in three successful clubs and there is a lot I admire about the Richmond culture, it seems top notch to me. Getting the best out of Stack just one example.

Would be offering Caracella the job with his own personnel wishlist of assistants to try and bring over
GF wins with the bombers, lions as a player and coached by the best in Sheedy, Mathews. i don't know how many
other coach in waiting have been involved on and off the field with that much Grand Final experience.

100% want Caracella. I know Longmire is purple, but that means nothing to me. Pick the better coach (whoever that may be) don't let romance get in the way.

100% want Caracella. I know Longmire is purple, but that means nothing to me. Pick the better coach (whoever that may be) don't let romance get in the way.
I believe under Lyon, the easiest teams to emulate are the Tigers then Pies, with coaching changes.
But it all hinges on this years trades, drafts and not on our talls and kick it long policy.
Both Pies, Tigers have had injury concerns and it is their small/mediums that have supplied attacking power.
Tom Lynch is raw in their system, Cox reminds me of Tabs no feel for the game but a good contested mark on
his day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Senior Assistant - Scott Camporeale
Adelaide supporters are seemingly very very critical of the work he’s done over there, would not be particularly keen
Ken Hinkley also has a fear of functional forward lines so no
not to mention they’ve been s**t ever since 2014. in the 5 seasons since then, they’ve made the 8 in 1 season despite having a fairly decent list most of the time. do not want.

I'd love to see a quirky guy get the job, someone whose first instinct is to attack instead of defend.
Bring in some "weirdo" who will get Freo back to how we were in the beginning.
I'm not expecting a flag, so at least, let's have a fun team.
Someone like Neesham or Blight (not that I like him) would be great in my book.

Brett Ratten for me. he took a terrible list to finals and was stuck in that Carlton predicament of playing finals but never taking risks because it'll cook your career. Mick Malthouse, the silly old senile dickhead, went there and it fell to s**t. as it should have before. he's been at one of the best teams ever with the Hawks, under a great guy and smart coach and no nonsense and simple dude with Clarko, and has gone through personal agony and understands what matters in life. and how to speak to young men now. look at this video of him where he tells a young bloke to have a shot at goal, cos if he hits it, he's debuting. the kid doesn't hit it but the moment isn't lost. that's what this team needs: a cuddle, a 'come on mate, what are you doing out there? you are better than this s**t. seriously. you've got all the talent!'

Same boat here, I think Ratten is rolled gold. I doubt we'd be able to lure him over but we should try. He's the best of the caretaker coaches and has real AFL and life experience. You listen to him operate and it's easy to see why players would bleed for him.

It would suck to see the Saints make a competent decision for once and hire him. If we could sever ties with RTB before that happens I'd love to see us lay a godfather offer on the table that he can't refuse. All pretty unlikely though unfortunately.

How about sounding out the departing coaches for assistant roles? Scott, Bolton, Richardson. All those guys won't be getting senior roles any time soon but would be great value as assistants. Maybe the thought that Ross could get the flick mid next year and a caretaker position open up would be added incentive.

I'd love to see a quirky guy get the job, someone whose first instinct is to attack instead of defend.
Bring in some "weirdo" who will get Freo back to how we were in the beginning.
I'm not expecting a flag, so at least, let's have a fun team.
Someone like Neesham or Blight (not that I like him) would be great in my book.
That's where our problems all started from, Neesham was just a novelty and we were never really treated seriously until Lyon came along...why would we want to return to the days of Neesham, Connolly, Allan, Drum

Geez, it's 2019 and Sumich keeps coming up. The guy is a dud, if he was some fantastic coach he would be on an AFL coaching staff in some capacity. Drown out the garbage people.
Apologies for the intrusion ,guys but from what I've heard in earlier days Sumich did not want to leave the West for family reasons as did not want to interrupt his kids schooling. Also have heard about the Sumich/Lyon stoush - from what I heard Sumich told Lyon "if he spoke like that to him again he would throw him out the window". Would loved to have been a fly on the wall if true🙄!
Don't let the way Sumich talks fool you as he has a very good football brain from all accounts. You could do worse as underneath he is Freo through and through having played for & coached South Fremantle in the past and didn't he take South to a premiership? Also the only thing I've heard is he is a hard task master but many who have been coached by him give him rave reviews that he managed to get the best out of them as players. Make of this what you will as looking from outside in it appears that Ross could be the problem? Also sometimes coaches get stale - like Woosha did with us at the end.
Anyway let's hope you get it all sorted one way or the other as very frustrating for your members and supporters which includes one of my closest friends.

As much as I'm wary of Sumich he has gone and taken the under 18s to a flag, wouldn't hurt. Would prefer Caracella or Longmuir though

That's where our problems all started from, Neesham was just a novelty and we were never really treated seriously until Lyon came along...why would we want to return to the days of Neesham, Connolly, Allan, Drum
i disagree & put Neesham in a different boat from those other fellas.
Connolly was IMO a great assistant, but should never have gotten the main job. His use of the bench was ground breaking & is still in play, but other than that, I reckon he was one of the "clones".
Allan was a caretaker, so I don't know why he was named.
Drum was again, one of the run of the mill types.

As for my original post, I suppose I'm feeling deflated about our predicament & can't see light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not expecting a flag in the next 20 years, but a lot of that comes from constant disappointment with our beloved team.
My post was meant to incite some left field suggestions as we haven't cracked it with the safe options for coaches.

As much as I'm wary of Sumich he has gone and taken the under 18s to a flag, wouldn't hurt. Would prefer Caracella or Longmuir though
An U18s series win looked like this:
Beat Vic Metro
Lost to SA
Beat Allies
Week and a half off
Beat Vic Country with last kick of the game after Vic Country had five days between games.

GF wins with the bombers, lions as a player and coached by the best in Sheedy, Mathews. i don't know how many
other coach in waiting have been involved on and off the field with that much Grand Final experience.
Pretty sure he was at Geelong too so yes been apart of some very successful programs.
Along with vast experience I have to admit if we were to go with an unproven coach he would be my pick.
He’s CV is definitely reads well

That said I think looking from the outside it’s hard to gauge how some these assistants would present as head coach material.
That said in another post most of the gun coaches of today were generally the most low profile of the assistants, they tended to be the less sexy choice or not the general consensus pick so the committee tasked with choosing your coach is as important as the coach themselves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back