Who should coach Freo in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

One requirement to sustain an outside game is skill. We have none and goal kicking efficiency, we have none of the either. and a team that can run hard for a full season (hard to know with Freo because of lack if rotations we use and constantly have to get the ball back from turnovers from bad kicking and decision making) Unfortunately, a season doesn't go 11 weeks, otherwise everything we are doing would be good. . We won two games with a last kick and have lost three ( iirc) games to teams we were expected to beat. Hardly a performance that suggests sustainability . But there is still time to show it can work. Let's see how we finish off the season.
I'm definitely Freo supporter (just not welded onto Ross) but a few adults I know no longer are. And the next generation of kids are going to gravitate towords a successful team. They don't care who the coach is.

Skills will improve with space... except with Langdon.

When our mids are on top our players run off their man and it's easier to hit them by foot. They then have space so they should kick better too.

So much tips on the seesaw of controlling the contest. I think we are surrendering the contest at the moment.

I agree 100%. Ask Saint Kilda how it has worked out.

We don't need to sell hope, our list is the hope. We are improving each year under Ross.

I would resign Ross for another 2 years with a guarantee of 5 if we make the finals in 2020 and 2021.

Scott won a premiership in his first season and Beveridge his second, I know I know, the Cats were a very different list but the point is a change of coach isn't always disruptive. I think now would be a good time to make that change, the list is coming together with enough younger players that could really take to a change in game plan/training.

I don't expect Lyon to leave this year and won't be surprised if he coaches in 2020 as well but I am looking forward to that change happening eventually and imo any extention to his context would be a huge mistake.

Scott won a premiership in his first season and Beveridge his second, I know I know, the Cats were a very different list but the point is a change of coach isn't always disruptive. I think now would be a good time to make that change, the list is coming together with enough younger players that could really take to a change in game plan/training.

I don't expect Lyon to leave this year and won't be surprised if he coaches in 2020 as well but I am looking forward to that change happening eventually and imo any extention to his context would be a huge mistake.
Chris Scott and Nathan Buckley had similar starts to their careers, walking into very shortly previously successful teams.

Beverage has the unfortunate circumstance that his team got the best out of itself and hasn't developed so well since. Perhaps he needs another coach to build a contested game for him to walk into with some license to the outside runners and a 35m ahead of the ball tall to bring it to ground to repeat the contested play and he can win another flag.

So was it coincidence that the Bulldogs got the best out of themselves in Beveridge's first two seasons or was the coaching change the catalyst?

I'd settle for a premiership and falling in a hole about now.

So was it coincidence that the Bulldogs got the best out of themselves in Beveridge's first two seasons or was the coaching change the catalyst?

The Bulldogs was a once in a hundred years scenario, winning from 7th just so unlikely you can just say they got lucky imho.

I think you can make an argument that the list was underperforming prior to Bevo, did very well to get to the grand final and win it but has since not been able to adapt a game style that would have seen their young list continue their form.

Matty Scarlett would be my choice if we could ever convince him to leave Geelong and with Scott having such a long term deal in place he just might

Ticks all the boxes as far as I can tell

Been an integral part of a successful team , winning culture

Smart articulate guy

Couple of years assistant coaching and has his unit one of the best in the AFL

Just the right amount of campaigner in him to be a good head coach
Ballas would love it :)

I'm not saying he should be pitch forked out, more that he should take over from Tom Morris.
High performance manager-coaching.
Didn't Tom Morris leave a year ago? I'm not sure if he was replaced. If not, and with appointing a young inexperienced list manager are we making room in the soft (coaches) salary cap?

Jarad Schofield? Seems to be doing a good job with Port.
Nathan Basset was spoken of highly a few years ago & is currently an assistant at one of the eastern states teams.
Also Josh Carr has gotten good results in the sanfl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zero talk in the media about Rossy..wtf. Calm before the storm?

I just don't think Lyon is under much pressure at the moment, unless he wants out he'll be given to the end of the season at least and probably well into next year before there is any real movement towards replacing him.

So much tips on the seesaw of controlling the contest. I think we are surrendering the contest at the moment.
Completely agree. We give our opposition far too much space and let them get the easy mark. We are the opposite, all of our marks (those that we take) are contested

Change doesn't mean improvement.
We're so far off it with Lyon - he literally has the players doing the same thing I used to shout at the likes of Suban and Pearce for (I used to blame them, then I realised it's that the players are getting deliberately directed to kick straight back to the opposition for some reason).

Any change even if it immediately gets worse will inevitably be improvement in the long run.

I know it sounds like a cop out but I have one foot each in the fire/don't fire Ross Lyon camps. For the past 36 hours I've been leaning towards the former but we all know that emotion can sometimes cloud judgement and I've been pretty pissed off since Saturday night.

I don't anymore think he will end up being the messiah who brings us our first premiership but I also know that we are pretty much missing our entire spine bar Hamling and Fyfe. It's almost impossible to tell if our apparent late season fade out is because history is repeating or if it's because of terrible injury luck. It certainly has exposed a worrying lack of depth though.

I'd say common sense would be to let Ross finish the season, get a good pre-season into the boys and at least let him start next year as coach. Only three weeks ago there were plenty of people on here saying we were on track for contending next season. And to that end I'd be more inclined to fire the S&C department first as they seem to be the ones who are letting us and Ross down.

Having said all of that, playing Blakely and Cerra at HB while Nyhuis and Duman wallow at Peel is dumb to the point of being borderline negligent. I just want to see this club be successful and I'm genuinely torn over whether a change in coach will help or hinder that.

Mark Duffield: Ross Lyon must prove derby embarrassment was just a blip
MarkDuffield_thumb.png

Mark DuffieldThe West Australian
Sunday, 7 July 2019 10:00PM

Matthews praises Nic Nat impact
1:01 | 7Sport

Play Video

Here is the challenge ahead of Fremantle.
They have a week to save their season. And they must do it in Launceston where they have won once in 11 games.
That win required a specially convened AFL hearing to confirm it after the infamous Sirengate match against St Kilda in 2006.
The Dockers will be smart to take a day to cool down after Saturday night’s debacle in which they kicked their worst derby score and had their second-worst derby loss to West Coast in 25 years.
Coaches like to say it is never as good as you think when you win and never as bad as you think when you lose, but derbies always feel better and worse with success and failure. Fremantle’s putrid effort makes failure seem worse still.
A similar debacle last year against Geelong created a climate for change that saw the departure of long-term football manager Chris Bond. In that case it was a 133-point flogging and their ninth loss by more than 50 points over the season.
Saturday night’s hammering was their first by more than 25 points this season. Coach Ross Lyon’s job is to regroup and prove that it was an anomaly.
If he cannot, the despair and anger we heard and saw from Fremantle’s fans on Saturday night is going to get louder, and the motivation for the club’s board to push for change will become irresistible. At this stage that is still unlikely to be the change fans will scream for, which is always the sacking of the coach.
Lyon has a contract and coaching contracts are hard for clubs to break these days.
The implementation of the AFL’s soft cap means a sacked coach almost certainly means the club will exceed its allowed football department spending and will have to pay 100 cents in the dollar of the excess to the AFL. It was designed to stop the escalating spending arms race between clubs in pursuit of flags. The side-effect is that it makes coaches under contract almost impossible to sack.
Ross Lyon and the Dockers had a derby to forget.
Ross Lyon and the Dockers had a derby to forget.Picture: AAPIMAGE
The irony is that it is still easy for coaches to walk out on contracts.
And it would be wrong — in the absence of further debacles — to assume that Fremantle’s solution lies in the dismissal of Lyon anyway.
The events of this year before the derby suggest that the Dockers were starting to emerge from a difficult rebuild.
They started the round in the top eight. And they have been hit by injuries to key trio Alex Pearce, Jesse Hogan and Stephen Hill.
But they had also lost to Melbourne and Carlton in the lead-up to the derby. And while Lyon’s respect for experience means there are likely to be changes at the bottom end of his 22 for the Hawthorn game, he also needs to point a finger at the top end.
For the second week in a row the senior midfielders were diabolically unaccountable around stoppages. Nic Naitanui got over the top of Aaron Sandilands in the ruck and Fremantle’s ground-level stoppage crew, which includes captain Nat Fyfe and veteran David Mundy, failed to make the necessary adjustments.
In many respects, the team’s form has dipped with Mundy’s, whose waning form is nothing more than the product of age. He played like an A-grade midfielder for two months and helped cover the loss of Lachie Neale, but he is an A-grade midfielder who turns 34 in two weeks.

Mark Duffield: Ross Lyon must prove derby embarrassment was just a blip
MarkDuffield_thumb.png

Mark DuffieldThe West Australian
Sunday, 7 July 2019 10:00PM

Matthews praises Nic Nat impact
1:01 | 7Sport

Play Video

Here is the challenge ahead of Fremantle.
They have a week to save their season. And they must do it in Launceston where they have won once in 11 games.
That win required a specially convened AFL hearing to confirm it after the infamous Sirengate match against St Kilda in 2006.
The Dockers will be smart to take a day to cool down after Saturday night’s debacle in which they kicked their worst derby score and had their second-worst derby loss to West Coast in 25 years.
Coaches like to say it is never as good as you think when you win and never as bad as you think when you lose, but derbies always feel better and worse with success and failure. Fremantle’s putrid effort makes failure seem worse still.
A similar debacle last year against Geelong created a climate for change that saw the departure of long-term football manager Chris Bond. In that case it was a 133-point flogging and their ninth loss by more than 50 points over the season.
Saturday night’s hammering was their first by more than 25 points this season. Coach Ross Lyon’s job is to regroup and prove that it was an anomaly.
If he cannot, the despair and anger we heard and saw from Fremantle’s fans on Saturday night is going to get louder, and the motivation for the club’s board to push for change will become irresistible. At this stage that is still unlikely to be the change fans will scream for, which is always the sacking of the coach.
Lyon has a contract and coaching contracts are hard for clubs to break these days.
The implementation of the AFL’s soft cap means a sacked coach almost certainly means the club will exceed its allowed football department spending and will have to pay 100 cents in the dollar of the excess to the AFL. It was designed to stop the escalating spending arms race between clubs in pursuit of flags. The side-effect is that it makes coaches under contract almost impossible to sack.
Ross Lyon and the Dockers had a derby to forget.
Ross Lyon and the Dockers had a derby to forget.Picture: AAPIMAGE
The irony is that it is still easy for coaches to walk out on contracts.
And it would be wrong — in the absence of further debacles — to assume that Fremantle’s solution lies in the dismissal of Lyon anyway.
The events of this year before the derby suggest that the Dockers were starting to emerge from a difficult rebuild.
They started the round in the top eight. And they have been hit by injuries to key trio Alex Pearce, Jesse Hogan and Stephen Hill.
But they had also lost to Melbourne and Carlton in the lead-up to the derby. And while Lyon’s respect for experience means there are likely to be changes at the bottom end of his 22 for the Hawthorn game, he also needs to point a finger at the top end.
For the second week in a row the senior midfielders were diabolically unaccountable around stoppages. Nic Naitanui got over the top of Aaron Sandilands in the ruck and Fremantle’s ground-level stoppage crew, which includes captain Nat Fyfe and veteran David Mundy, failed to make the necessary adjustments.
In many respects, the team’s form has dipped with Mundy’s, whose waning form is nothing more than the product of age. He played like an A-grade midfielder for two months and helped cover the loss of Lachie Neale, but he is an A-grade midfielder who turns 34 in two weeks.
Thanks mate. Appreciate the access to the vault now that it's become a paid site

Remove this Banner Ad

Back