Crow Envy

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I think we all agree Mattner is not the man, Johncock has been the man but hopefully he spends sometime in the midfield. Besides he has been known for the odd clanger or two. So who should it be? Most probably our best kick in defence would be Mcleod, he is not likely to panic either. Suggestions?

According to the coach Mattner will be still doing the kick ins over the next couple of weeks, but he will be given more information from the coaches as he was thrown in the deep end on the kick ins last week and this week. Well we know that he tends to sink if you throw him in, although he did seem to tread water towards the end. At least the boy doesn't drop his head and learns from his mistakes.

But we have to have a back up if Stiffy isn't playing. Our side has to have more than one person able to handle a particular role, if we don't then we really are up the creek without a paddle. Can't have a one dimensional side these days.

I take it you are off the mattner train macca? ;)

Has Rutten ever been used for kick ins? He is a good kick and stays pretty calm (excusing the Ebert incident). Would be worth a punt, has to be better than Mattner.

But that's a case of robbing peter to pay paul as Rutten is often the player that the first kick in is to, especially on the 50m line with the opposition ruckman in close proximity due to his sure hands. I would prefer his disposal being used through the midfield or into the forward area.

But that's a case of robbing peter to pay paul as Rutten is often the player that the first kick in is to, especially on the 50m line with the opposition ruckman in close proximity due to his sure hands. I would prefer his disposal being used through the midfield or into the forward area.
Great point Nikki. I feel that Truck is our best kick in the backline, but he's often used further up the ground on those plays. I've never really felt terribly confident with Stiffy doing the kickouts to be honest, but I'm not sure what the answer is.

Has Rutten ever been used for kick ins? He is a good kick and stays pretty calm (excusing the Ebert incident). Would be worth a punt, has to be better than Mattner.

The Ebert incident was Mattner's fault anyway. If he hadn't made the wrong decision in trying to go around Ebert, Rutten wouldn't have been caught out of position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the club's decision making consultant/guru, Stiffy is the best decision maker in the team. (Or maybe it was Mcleod, can't remember). But I reckon Stiffy will get the job......Not sure what our plan B is, but seems to be a try out for Mattner.

Anyone but Mattner or Burton!

You need someone who is a good decision maker under pressure. Apparently Stiffy is the best we have but even he can have some brain fades with kick ins.

I would give someone like Stiffy, McLeod, Torney, Van Berlo and even Reilly some chance to see what they are made off. Mattner definetly shouldn't be doing the kick ins. As soon as I saw him going over to take the kick in, I said, this will get ugly.

Mattner has been using the same (at times infuriating) blaze-away long kick for as long as he's been playing. To suddenly ask him to pinpoint passes to teammates from kick-ins is certainly puzzling.

Perhaps, as another poster has said, it was a deliberate ploy to force him to think about where and who he's kicking it to for a change.

I wrote this in another thread, before I noticed this one...

This is just an idea, but maybe Mattner is kicking for us in the PS so as to help improve his decision-making ability? Give him a bit more time to observe, understand and think about his kicking.

mattner is only good if we wont to bomb it out to the wing which I think is why we have sent him there.

its funny, if he hadnt've rushed that behind we all know what the final result would have been. he should have just chucked it on his booming left foot out to basset who was one on one with someone else.

Mattner refuses to go with his first instinct be it in play or kicking in,he needs to work harder on his decision making otherwise he may find his spot in jeopardy.He is at best ,predictable with his movement,by hand or foot and so of all the positions on the groung ,kicking in would be one where an element of surprise can be a weapon it is folly to play him there next week,the week aftyer or ever again,he is not the man for this role Craigy please dont waste any more time on it.
Porlyzia should be around the ball more often,Griffin leads hard and contests very well,I would be looking to a resting forward role for him rotating with McGregor and Huddo,two goals each,....very handy.
Mick Doughty I like but again his choice making when under the pump needs more work.Welshy's got rid of the streaks in the hair and looks like he's more committed and honest about it.

the toughest thing about watching PS games is the frustration of plyers playing out of position.

Most agree Mattner needs to go to a wing.......but there he was doing the kickouts.....:rolleyes:

makes it very difficult to assess player performance and our prospects

I am sure there is method to Craig's madness! Didn't Andy McLeod used to kick in for us too? Johncock made some mother mistakes last year from kick ins - made me nervous every time he did it. Mattner is now in the same category. But like I said, I am SURE Craig has a reason for doing it, and some of the ones given above sound quite plausible.

the toughest thing about watching PS games is the frustration of plyers playing out of position.

Most agree Mattner needs to go to a wing.......but there he was doing the kickouts.....:rolleyes:

makes it very difficult to assess player performance and our prospects

This confuses me. You can understand this logic if it was a youngster still finding his way but it's a 24 year old who has been in the system for 5-6 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back