Who should Have the Next Statue at MCG

Who should Have the Next Statue at MCG ?

• Tony Lockett

Votes: 61 26.4%
  • Wayne Carey

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Gary Ablett Snr

Votes: 23 10.0%
  • Anthony Koutifides

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • James Hird

Votes: 16 6.9%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Ben Cousins

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • Other

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • Eddie McGuire

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Lou Richards

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Sam Newman

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Masher

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sounds selfish coming from a Dogs fan, but how about Mr Football, EJ Whitten? He won a flag there as a young fella (win the b&f that year), Captain coached the ‘61 grand final team there. Played and was involved in many state games there. And no one can forget his final lap. Have him in his big V guernsey? Because of his television and state of origin stuff and larger than life personality he is more seen as a universal football identity rather than for just one club. He probably deserves a statue more than some others that already have one?

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sounds selfish coming from a Dogs fan, but how about Mr Football, EJ Whitten? He won a flag there as a young fella (win the b&f that year), Captain coached the ‘61 grand final team there. Played and was involved in many state games there. And no one can forget his final lap. Have him in his big V guernsey? Because of his television and state of origin stuff and larger than life personality he is more seen as a universal football identity rather than for just one club. He probably deserves a statue more than some others that already have one?
Great nomination.

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
This bloke also deserves a statue:

David Parkin

Played 211 games for Hawthorn, 1971 Premiership captain.
Played 5 games for Victoria.
Coached in 518 games including 4 premierships (1 Hawthorn, 3 Carlton)

Last edited:

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
Franklin/GAJ/Dusty all potentially by the end of their career. Fyfe and Danger need flags

Only GAJ from that list. Buddy close. No to Danger, Dusty and Fyfe, sure there 3 superstars but so are Voss, Hird and Cousins who don't have statues.

GAJ the best midfielder I've ever seen (I'm 30) and was head and shoulders above his peers. Dusty, Danger, Fyfe, Cripps, Bont all much the same. Fyfe probably the best of that lot but it's opinion, Abletts fact.

darcytiger

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Only GAJ from that list. Buddy close. No to Danger, Dusty and Fyfe, sure there 3 superstars but so are Voss, Hird and Cousins who don't have statues.

GAJ the best midfielder I've ever seen (I'm 30) and was head and shoulders above his peers. Dusty, Danger, Fyfe, Cripps, Bont all much the same. Fyfe probably the best of that lot but it's opinion, Abletts fact.
I’m not saying that Martin deserves a statue. But the statue would be erected at the MCG, for those who plied their wares at that ground week in, week out. All other names you mentioned (bar Hird, who would be excluded for obvious reasons) did most of their work elsewhere.

Yoey

All Australian
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Ben Cousins should, won everything whilst high all the time and never got caught....artful dodger, larrikin and atypical of the Aussie spirit.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Gaston Cugnet

22221_cugnet_500.jpg
I had to look this up.

Very interesting story. He appears to have got airborne in the monoplane only to crash in nearby tennis courts

Worthy nomination

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
I’m not saying that Martin deserves a statue. But the statue would be erected at the MCG, for those who plied their wares at that ground week in, week out. All other names you mentioned (bar Hird, who would be excluded for obvious reasons) did most of their work elsewhere.

Fair point. No statues then of current/recently retired players. GAJ a statue at Kardinia Park.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I would love to see a commemorative statue for Cyril, Maurice and Long - would be a fantastic commemoration for the Tiwi boys and the success they've had, particularly when it counts the most with some of their best games coming on the big stage.
Id say this is the most likely to happen.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Snooza 100

Club Legend
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manangatang Thirds. NewYork Knicks.
Nobody IMO, but of the OP’s options Ablett Senior only because he dominated on that ground. I’m not sure how many Lockett kicked in the MCG but Ablett still holds the record for most goals in a GF and frankly I can’t see that record being broken any time soon.

Ablett beat Richmond on the MCG frequently and kicked 14 against Essendon.
No thanks, I don't like what happened in his hotel room.

On Redmi Note 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back