Coach Who Should Our Next Coach Be (Poll Updated)

Who Should Our Next Coach Be?

• Alistar Clarkson

Votes: 160 34.2%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 37 7.9%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 54 11.5%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Craig McRae

Votes: 110 23.5%
  • Dale Tapping

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabbo64

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2012
Bunbury WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
You’re kidding right? He turned Adelaide in to the best drilled team in the comp by a country mile in 2017, he was just unlucky that Richmond had Martin and his players choked on the big stage.
He’s turned Sydney from a perennialy dour defensive side in to one of the most exciting attacking teams in the comp in the space of an off-season. The way they move the ball has his fingerprints all over it.
It’s bizarre that you’d think he’s not capable of doing what needs to be done given his record, and you’ve really got no idea what he’s like as a person outside the snippets you’ve seen in press conferences.
Pyke is still my choice FWIW.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
So they should. The only concern I had about about Clarko was he may have been to the well enough already but this succession plan has well and truly stoked his fires I think. And not in a MM type way, I can see Clarko burning to show he’s the GOAT and to achieve success at the Pies or the scum would go a long way towards that.
As Dubai said I can’t see Korda letting this opportunity slip.

I'm not sure where this GOAT comes from. There was a bloke named Jock McHale who went alright in the coaching stakes. Coached for 37 years, 713 games, a H&A win rate of about 68%, 16 GF's and 7 premierships.

Norm Smith 6 premierships, a couple of others 5, a handful of others on 4.

Clarko 16 years, 59% H&A, 5 GF's 4 premierships.

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
I’ll put the Cat amongst the Pigeons here and whilst acknowledging Clarko is one of the best of coaches of the modern era, why (other than his flags and killer instinct as others have said here) is he the right fit for Collingwood? Is it more relying on his prestige of three flags? Can he right this ship? How so? Would Hardwick be just as worth chasing if comparing the lineage?

Not saying Clarko wouldn’t be the man if we could get him but wondering why many think he would be our white knight in comparison to others.
It's 4 flags, 2 runners up.
His record does the talking.

Able to build innovative game plans that the rest end up trying to copy or incorporate to some extent.
Able to work with recruiters to bring in the players he needs for his gameplans.
Shown he can developed 2 different lists and take them to flags
Gets the most out of his players
Good blend of attack and defence in his team's
Has earned a legendary aura about him. His gravitas will be important in bringing our club together and building a buzz about the place. No other candidate comes close in this regard.

Countrypie

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2012
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not sure where this GOAT comes from. There was a bloke named Jock McHale who went alright in the coaching stakes. Coached for 37 years, 713 games, a H&A win rate of about 68%, 16 GF's and 7 premierships.

Norm Smith 6 premierships, a couple of others 5, a handful of others on 4.

Clarko 16 years, 59% H&A, 5 GF's 4 premierships.
In today's world GOAT is thrown around in all sports. Its part of the now world. Media make it so. Even 1 D Bradman has been usurped by Tendulkar. Kohli and Lara. Subjective, erroneous but excusable

It'll be ironic if we've timed all this to perfection and then Wrighty and Clarko decide they don't want to work together again...............and Clarko ends up ......nevermind :sick:
I guess when we recruited Wright, Clarko was not going anywhere, not on the radar.
Did Wright depart Hawthorn to get away from Clarko?

I guess when we recruited Wright, Clarko was not going anywhere, not on the radar.

The rumour is they had a falling out and it's obviously true, otherwise we would be making a play for Clarko.

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The rumour is they had a falling out and it's obviously true, otherwise we would be making a play for Clarko.
Pretty poor, but I'd assume we would have some good Clarko IP with Wright being here.

Other candidates that I like other than Clarko are;

Pyke, Yze, Caracella, Kingsley, McCrae and Tapping.

Just interview them all and go with the best one.

One of my friends plays footy with Yze's nephew so I can say 100% we have interviewed Yze.

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's 4 flags, 2 runners up.
His record does the talking.

Able to build innovative game plans that the rest end up trying to copy or incorporate to some extent.
Able to work with recruiters to bring in the players he needs for his gameplans.
Shown he can developed 2 different lists and take them to flags
Gets the most out of his players
Good blend of attack and defence in his team's
Has earned a legendary aura about him. His gravitas will be important in bringing our club together and building a buzz about the place. No other candidate comes close in this regard.
All good points. Would Hardwick be in this lineage too? Choco worth a look Clarko?

NMBB

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we didn't know there were issues between Clarkson and Wright when Wright joined us we should have - whether those issues preclude them from ever working together again -..... that's another issue

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
we would be up to our eye balls in Clarko, don't worry about that. Most of the other contenders have either been rejected for previous coaching positions or sacked. I reckon it will be either Clarko, Lyon or Williams

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Kingsley being at St Kilda from 2011-18 hardly does his resume any favours 😬
Several years ago, Nick Riewoldt described Kingsley as the best assistant he's worked with at his time with St Kilda.

Kingsley was instrumental in why Richmond won the 2020 flag as midfield/stoppages coach. They broke the record for centre clearance differential at +30 in last year's finals campaign. Their stoppage work was pivotal to them winning the flag.

Kingsley has been coaching Richmond's defenders, but his best work was coaching the mids.

I also heard him on radio a month back talking about his interest in the job. He said one of the fundamentals of good coaching is "being able to build relationships with the people around you" in addition to being tactically sound.

Damien Hardwick and Justin Leppitsch have endorsed him for a senior coaching role.

Kingsley has also completed the AFL's Level Four coaching program.

Personally, he's a candidate that's interested me for a few months even prior to Buckley's departure.

"Richmond has given senior assistant coach Adam Kingsley its blessing to pursue the vacant Collingwood coaching job.
While former Adelaide Crows coach Don Pyke is seen as the front-runner to replace Nathan Buckley at the Holden Centre, Kingsley has impressed the Magpies in its preliminary discussions."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back