• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
We've lost Polec and Wingard. New rules mean 2 out of 6 midfielders have to start on the wings and the kick in can go much further down the field if done correctly. I could see McKenzie or Lienert launching it to the wings under the new rules.

So, who should play on the wings in 2019? You have up to 3 choices.

I am going controversial. I think we are in a unique position to have 3 very tall wingmen with marking power and running power- Burton, Westhoff, Watts. So that's who I have selected.

A word on Watts. By draft camp results, he is our fastest player over 20m (2.82 sec), our most agile (8.03) and our best at 30m repeat sprints (25.44). So he certainly has the speed ;).Those results make him perfectly suited to a wing.

Motlop a lock for a wing. Bonner, Burton, maybe Ebert for another. Ebert had a crap year on the wing I think 2016 so don't really want to see that again. Westhoff the other strong contender.

Motlop a lock for a wing. Bonner, Burton, maybe Ebert for another. Ebert had a crap year on the wing I think 2016 so don't really want to see that again. Westhoff the other strong contender.

Would have Motlop as the Wingard replacement- mainly up forward with sometime in the guts. A lock for the starting 18 but not on a wing.

Would have Motlop as the Wingard replacement- mainly up forward with sometime in the guts. A lock for the starting 18 but not on a wing.
Nope. Need Motlop up the ground with his run and carry and ball use.

We do look really slow and lacking flash up forward, but we'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul in putting Motlop up forward.

Sam Davidson is the quickest player at port hands down....if they rookie list him in future absolute natural for the wing

Sam Davidson is the quickest player at port hands down....if they rookie list him in future absolute natural for the wing

Are you his dad or something? I've never seen you post about any other topic.

Bonner, Motlop, Westhoff

Farrell ran 2.90 in his sprints in last years combine which got him 2nd and Rozee or Rankine look a lock for pick 5 both ran around that time also. The additions of Burton and Mayes gives us options also, Bonner can play, Hartlett and Ebert have also played there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By wings is it 'Play on the outside' or more of 'Avoid the centre corridor when trying to move it from defense'?

It'd put it more who should be our link up players (preferably through the centre, not up hard against the boundary line as we inch it forward). Those who take delivery of the ball as it leaves the defensive 50, or the kick after that, and then deliver it into the forward 50 (or at least the attacking side of centre). For me those should be Hoff and Watts as the talls able to outmark smaller opponents, with Motlop and whoever of Burton, Mayes and Bonner shows they can get separation on their opponents to cut through lines, as the smalls.

Last edited:
Back