Who should replace Liza Harvey as Wa liberal leader?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
1606019493812.png

Talk Colin Barnett out of retirement. (again)

After all these years, have they really still got no-one?
100%

Watch out for Bill Marmion as the consensus candidate.

All the rest of the suspects suck (l'estrange, Honey)

Watch out for Zac Kirkup to get a favourable run from the media................................

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Thank god someone with a brain told Liza Harvey to back away. When will politicians learn old fat females aggressive opposition females don't do well. Look at Judith Collins. Anyone that looks like Judith Collins or sounds like her is getting wipped out.

Save us Julie Bishop. But might be wise to have her after the wipeout.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday

Her future had been an open question within the Liberal Party for months, with MPs left increasingly despondent by poor polling and fears they were headed for an electoral cliff on March 13.

Initially, Opposition MPs were encouraged by the results, but concerns mounted during the pandemic — particularly about Harvey's decision-making over the interstate border.

The hell were they expecting of her? She's up against a guy with a near-90% approval rating who's got the economy growing while running a surplus during a massive global downturn. There's no line for attack in that.

This just sounds like they're making things worse for themselves.

Health spokesman Zak Kirkup and Shadow Treasurer Dean Nalder have both declared their hands, confirming they will nominate for the position.

Isn't Nalder the one who's a flog and/or corrupt?

If things go really bad, they could end up smaller than the Nationals.

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

The hell were they expecting of her? She's up against a guy with a near-90% approval rating who's got the economy growing while running a surplus during a massive global downturn. There's no line for attack in that.

They already will be smaller than nationals at this point. Got to change it up. When you already hit rock bottom then well it's rock bottom. But at this point someone needs to be a lamb. Hope it's nadler never liked him

Kirkup guranteed to get an awesome run from the Worst Australian especially Jenna Clarke ;)

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
Kirkup and L'Estrange are the best of a very, veeeeery shallow talent pool.

Both of them, however, are intelligent enough to twig that this will be an absolute mauling come March and leave it to Nalder to grab the poisoned chalice with both hands.

Kirkup guranteed to get an awesome run from the Worst Australian especially Jenna Clarke ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
Interested in Belnakor's take on this - curious whether she's just had enough and wants to focus on defending her own (relatively thin) margin in Scarborough, or whether she's lost the favour of the Collier/Cormann Brigade after McGowan bounced back up to North Korea-level approval ratings.

Always found her to be a bit of a nonentity to be honest, but I'm not sure what sort of rabbit they're thinking a new leader will pull out of the proverbial hat here. Barnett managed it in 08, but Carpenter had managed to piss off just about everyone in the state and was always a beatable target.

Interested in Belnakor's take on this - curious whether she's just had enough and wants to focus on defending her own (relatively thin) margin in Scarborough, or whether she's lost the favour of the Collier/Cormann Brigade after McGowan bounced back up to North Korea-level approval ratings.

Always found her to be a bit of a nonentity to be honest, but I'm not sure what sort of rabbit they're thinking a new leader will pull out of the proverbial hat here. Barnett managed it in 08, but Carpenter had managed to piss off just about everyone in the state and was always a beatable target.

Shes got the chihuahuas in Scarbs moving against her + a chief of staff that wants his son elected......

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
In all seriousness, I'd put in the most unlikable and/or useless member left because the opposition leader during this election will be cannon fodder regardless of who they are.

On that basis, my choice would be Libby Mettam.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

no internal pressure for her to resign but I think Cake Eater's post is probably on the money. Her chief of Staff has his son running in a seat that requires a positive swing so i'm guessing he was putting pressure on her to resign.

I can't see any gains unless the seat had a particularly soft underbelly (ie: the liberal who got turfed did no campaigning). From what i remember Kingsley was tightly contested.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
In all seriousness, I'd put in the most unlikable and/or useless member left because the opposition leader during this election will be cannon fodder regardless of who they are.

On that basis, my choice would be Libby Mettam.

Zac's margin is 0.7%. He might as well have his destiny in his own hands. If he can't turn it around he is going to lose anyway.

I wonder how many seats the libs will have going forward?

it will take a decade to recover from the last election loss. Given they have made no ground, or even gone backwards, it could be a decade or more from 2021.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder how many seats the libs will have going forward?

it will take a decade to recover from the last election loss. Given they have made no ground, or even gone backwards, it could be a decade or more from 2021.

gut feeling will be a result similar to QLD which would be a negative 3-4% swing. Labor maybe gaining 3 seats, which would have Liberals with 10-11 seats.

So Zac's seat will probably go labor, I think Darling Range will be tough for the libs to retain too as the previous result was on the back of the Labor MP being a proven liar and fraudster. One other loss like Riverton seems reasonable based on the former leader leaving the seat.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Kirkup and Nalder are probably the right candidates. Kirkup has nothing to lose and Nalder needs to take the leadership now if he ever wants it

Whether one of them can lead the party to a less brutal defeat than the other, I’m not sure.

Kirkup has the added benefit that if he does a bad job, he won’t need to be sacked - he’ll have lost his seat anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back