Who should replace Michael O’Brien as Victorian Liberal leader?

Who should replace Michael O’Brien as Victorian Liberal leader?

• Peta Credlin

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Peter Costello

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Matthew Guy

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Tim Smith

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Jeff Kennett

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Inanimate Carbon Rod

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that's the right move. But I think a mistake the Vic LNP and Fed ALP will fall into is that they'll retro-actively start arguing about COVID lockdowns/economy while most people are trying to move on from COVID.
I think Fed ALP are smart enough to avoiding fall into that trap. In the broad scheme, Australia has performed too well for the ALP to make any millage (even if it could reasonably argued that most of the success has become despite the Federal Government and not because of it)

If they are going to go after the LNP on covid related matters, go for a small target approach and only attack them where they are vunerable (abdicating responsibility for international quartine, the vaccine rollout out, reducing unemployment benefits to below the poverty line).

Michael O’Brien has survived one leadership challenge, but the question is how would he go second time around-probably within the next month or two. My guess is that O’Brien is only warming the seat so that the Victorian Liberals can convince Peta Credlin or Peter Costello to take over the leadership down the track.

Michael O’Brien has survived one leadership challenge, but the question is how would he go second time around-probably within the next month or two. My guess is that O’Brien is only warming the seat so that the Victorian Liberals can convince Peta Credlin or Peter Costello to take over the leadership down the track.

Which safe seat minister is giving up their seat for this fantasy to happen?

You guessed... poorly. Credlin no chance, Costello a smaller chance than Credlin.

Now Jascave, really!!!!!!

Far be it for me to give advice to the Libs but if I was them I'd be rushing John Pesutto back into the parliament asap. And into the leadership post haste. Sensible and would rid the shadow ministry of rightist pinheads like Finn.

Now Jascave, really!!!!!!

Far be it for me to give advice to the Libs but if I was them I'd be rushing John Pesutto back into the parliament asap. And into the leadership post haste. Sensible and would rid the shadow ministry of rightist pinheads like Finn.
I think if he recontests and is able to win his seat he will be the leader post election.

That guy would have been Battin well above average if the spill had been successful.

Regarding the guy with the ridiculous calls (aka the thread starter), he's genuinely not all there so not really any point engaging with him.

Lmao couldn't help myself... check out the comments :sick:

So the massed forces of Murdocracy didnt bring andrews down, but one of the worst PM ever's chief of staff Will

Id like to see her put her money where her mouth is. but she would be a disaster

So the massed forces of Murdocracy didnt bring andrews down, but one of the worst PM ever's chief of staff Will

Gillard what? Did her brick wall fall down?

Oh and how did the obscenely overpaid ABC journos cover Despots Dans efforts re woke lockdown?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Costello is making 10x what he would make as Premier. He'll be on boards doing sweet FA for the rest of his life on the post-politics gravy train. No way would he waste his time with politics.

Peta Credlin
Lmao couldn't help myself... check out the comments :sick:

I haven't seen stuff that batty crazy in a long time. My favourite part is when they say the LNP party machine will bring her down. LNP voters really have no idea who she is or how the LNP works do they?!

Update on the poll options:

Credlin - little chance
Costello - zero chance
Guy - just ruled it out
T Smith - Guy's key backer, so whatever Guy said
Kennett - never follows through on his media thought bubbles

Can we close the thread now?

The first three I understand, since I'm each case the Liberals were calling for the borders to be opened prematurely. But what did NSW Labor do that was failing at the basics?

staying on message - im in the alp, and i honestly have no idea what their leader's vision for nsw is other than being in power

there is no focused coherent message, just libs are bad

staying on message - im in the alp, and i honestly have no idea what their leader's vision for nsw is other than being in power

Sounds like a real weakness for the ALP, not just in NSW but federally too. At least with Andrews, McGowan and Palaszczuk I know what they stand for.

But perhaps that's a story better discussed in another thread.

Coalition voters will overlook outright lies and hypocrisy more than labor’s.

Last election the coalition were going to save retirees from the evil alp super changes. Nothing to see.

Now they are proposing significant changes to super. THEY HAVE NO MANDATE they need to take these changes to an election. They wont

Sounds like a real weakness for the ALP, not just in NSW but federally too. At least with Andrews, McGowan and Palaszczuk I know what they stand for.

But perhaps that's a story better discussed in another thread.

i think its a bigger issue, and one effecting both parties and its national

in the past, being in opposition meant you had to retool, develop fresh policy, and prepare an alternative. Its not always successful (look at Hewson and Peacock for example), but it saw good politicians remain in parliament to keep the govt accountable.

now good people have zero interest in being in opposition unless its likely they will take govt in the next cycle. and people dont keep govts accountable. they are there to bash the s**t out of them - fair or not.

when good policy is rejected because you dont want the govt to get a win, you have bad opposition. if small target politics means zero policy development, you have bad opposition. when preselection is about solidifying powerbrokers power bases over finding tomorrows leaders, you have bad opposition.

It's been proven to work over the last two decades of election cycles.

Why announce policy years out from an election, just for NewsCorp and Fairfax to attack?

now good people have zero interest in being in opposition unless its likely they will take govt in the next cycle. and people dont keep govts accountable. they are there to bash the sh*t out of them - fair or not.

The pay is pretty ordinary.

$180k per annum only really topped up for shadow ministers and leaders by about $20k. So you get $200k and not great job security.

Any "Good People" with managerial and life experience (i.e. over 40yo) are already making probably nearly that and taking time out to join a political party, campaign, have their life torn apart and still maybe lose just isn't worth it.

This is acutely felt in swing seats.

In safe seats, you get whoever works the party system better. So Unionist lawyers or silver-spooners, hardly people with relevant life experience similar to the rest of the state.

Back