Who should replace Michael O’Brien as Victorian Liberal leader?

Who should replace Michael O’Brien as Victorian Liberal leader?

• Peta Credlin

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Peter Costello

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Matthew Guy

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Tim Smith

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Jeff Kennett

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Inanimate Carbon Rod

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon if Peta Credlin does decides to go for the Victorian Liberals leadership, she would want a list of demands being agreed to before saying yes to the offer from the Vic Liberals.

And the list of demands could be as follows:

1) Being preselected into an very safe Liberal seat;
2) An orderly transition of power-no leadership challenge;
3) Allowed to run the 2022 state election campaign on her own terms
4) Should Credlin wins the election, the right to pick her own cabinet without interference from the 'faceless' people of the Liberals.

I reckon if Peta Credlin does decides to go for the Victorian Liberals leadership, she would want a list of demands being agreed to before saying yes to the offer from the Vic Liberals.

And the list of demands could be as follows:

1) Being preselected into an very safe Liberal seat;
2) An orderly transition of power-no leadership challenge;
3) Allowed to run the 2022 state election campaign on her own terms
4) Should Credlin wins the election, the right to pick her own cabinet without interference from the 'faceless' people of the Liberals.

She could also demand a blueberry muffin before every party room meeting.

Yet another post from Jascave with little connection to reality. Firstly, there aren't any very safe Liberal seats by the accepted definition (60% 2PP is defined as safe). I highly doubt actual members of parliament would give anyone from outside the parliament the transition of power you would describe.

On the other hand, most election campaigns are fought largely on the terms set by the leader and their party, and the cabinet process you describe is one that generally only happens with Labor - see Somyurek, A. Liberal leaders get to pick their own cabinets, taking into account legislative requirements (The Victorian cabinet can be a maximum of 22 people by law, with at least 16 MPs from the lower house and 5 from the upper house), and other considerations (it would be a Liberal/National coalition, what would be the male/female breakdown, moderate/conservative, etc).

In the final analysis, this is disconnected from reality because Ms Credlin has never shown any interest in elected office.

Last edited:

Brad Battin apparently put his hand up and thinks he has the numbers (all 10 of them).

My guess would be that outside of his electorate around 99% of Victorians would have NFI who this guy was.
I'll say one thing for him, he appears to be against privatisations, which means he's probably not the usual IPA hack that's been running the Liberals for a while now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, rabble.

Sounding like Simon Crean's hairbrained spill against Gillard.

FWIW, there's a fairly major state redistribution underway in Victoria as well, and a lot of the Libs' seats are likely to get sliced up. Battin's seat of Gembrook is looking like one for the chopping block.

Would be a further albatross around their neck if they went into the election with him either (A) relocating across Melbourne, or (B) up against it in an unfavorably drawn district.

Anyone would be an improvement on the current leader or bringing Guy back especially this guy if he is a more moderate and younger option. Trouble is that we have ask if he is one because he has no profile.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I dont know who any of these people are.

Who are the religious nutjobs, and who isnt? I just want one from the latter.

If you use the vote on assisted dying as a metric, there really aren't a lot. Only a few in each house, and none of whom are getting mentioned now.

More a choice of whether you want a Catholic nutjob backed by Bernie Finn (O'Brien) or a Mormon/other protestant nutjob (which I presume is Battin in this case)

They're so far out of touch with this state. We're ****ed when they next fall into office.

I'm pretty engaged with politics... I've literally never heard Battin's name.

That could be a good thing for them though considering the Libs you do know are the utterly terrible ones like Finn, Davis and Smith.

Brad Battin apparently put his hand up and thinks he has the numbers (all 10 of them).

My guess would be that outside of his electorate around 99% of Victorians would have NFI who this guy was.

Maybe he's a stalking horse

Back