Prediction Who should replace Scully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Alcred76

Senior List
Jul 2, 2014
I’m interested to know who people think will be added to our list to replace Scully.

Personally I think we should just wait to the mid season draft and pick up a young player who was overlooked due to not playing last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think we will replace Scully with an external player- I think we will have Downie/Day/Moore/JOM cover him and we'll use the extra pick or two to pick up a project player and a player to cover a hole that emerges throughout the season.
I've heard very mixed things about Ed Phillips, but he wouldn't be the worst option if we were looking for a winger to come in.

Agreed, due to no vfl a lot of players who could have done what Clayton Oliver did and rise from obscurity to first rounder just stayed on the outer.

Also players with good bottom age performance that didn't play in 2020 may have been overvalued and could have slid like jeka did to us.

Then you have some interstate talent that was taken higher than usual based on exposed form when the vic alternative was mire unknown.

This year more than ever some 19 year olds will impress in state leagues.

I also think that this years draft will prove to be be all over the place with duds in top 10 (not dgb) and super stars in the 40s

Phillips will take one wing. From the little I know of him he seems to get his possession behind the ball. Hendo was the run in front of the ball type. Cuz or even Finn could play this role.

Without seeing a game live, Scully seemed to be playing a defensive HFF role, this could be filled by Moore. It may work in our favour as Moore will snag the odd goal.

Downie is the future, at least he can roost the footy.

I think we’ll move away from having two ‘set’ wingers (eg smith and hill back in 2013-15 or smith and hendo more recently) to rotating a number of players through.

Our inside midfield needs a change up so will likely see worps, shiels, JOM, cousins spend more time on the outside rotating to give midfield minutes to chad and hopefully finn.

Phillips, Day, downie, Moore, even scrim can also take the other wing at times.

Maybe by 2022 it will become clearer who is best on the wing but this will be a year of transition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

or hopefully Harry earns the spot and makes it his own
I like the sentiment, but not the application. That's what I hope from a CJ-type as he has done elite traits.

Morrison would still lack size, height, strength, speed, leap/jump, a penetrating kick & a defensive side.

I feel that if a spot is his own it's because we've got f*** all else - I don't see him improving what appear to be physical attributes & there's a few of them. He finds space well but I don't think he can pull apart a zone with gut running or run fast enough both ways to fill holes defensively.

Is a very neat, smart & honest player but I see him sitting 24 - 28 on the list - maybe playing 5-10 games a year based on injuries & suspensions.

That was good for bottom 4 last season

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Ahhh so Breust, Gunston, Wingard, Jaegar, Big Boy... the list all good for Bottom 4 last season? I mean that is what you are saying the team finished bottom 4. Or is it just Morrison?

Ahhh so Breust, Gunston, Wingard, Jaegar, Big Boy... the list all good for Bottom 4 last season? I mean that is what you are saying the team finished bottom 4. Or is it just Morrison?
Nah just saying he shouldn't get a game for "playing the Hawthorn way" so to speak. As that way of football is bottom 4 footy.

Id rather a raw talent get a game who doesn't know our systems as well as Harry but has a higher scope for improvement.

Nah just saying he shouldn't get a game for "playing the Hawthorn way" so to speak. As that way of football is bottom 4 footy.

Id rather a raw talent get a game who doesn't know our systems as well as Harry but has a higher scope for improvement.

Put it this way, if you don't play the hawthorn way, you don't play. Can you actually imagine a mastermind coach like Clarkson selecting players who don't follow his coaching instructions?

Morrison is very easy to coach eager to learn. Picks thing up quickly. He is a foot soldier until a better foot soldier comes along. Finn on the other hand eager to learn has all physical attributes still learning to play to coaching instruction. Morrison wasnt in any way our worst player last year. Much better than some one like CJ or Finn. When ure ready and when a player can play the role morrison is playing in the side only better. Till then he will more than likely get games.

Morrison is just average. Unfortunately even though he's a good kid that is willing to learn, the issue is that he has no outstanding attributes to his game.

He's played enough now (42 games) to show that he can bring something to the table, and what he brings is vanilla. He's not quick, not particularly skillful, not tough, not a shutdown defender and he has no exact defined position on the field. Having said that he's decent at these things, but none of it stands out.

As for the wing spot, we already have three youngsters that are quicker, bigger, and are better and longer kicks (Greaves, Day and Downie). The scope for improvement for those three is much higher. We don't really need placeholders in the side.

Maybe he will become a valuable squad player this season, but IMO he really needs to have a defined position on the field - and based on his attributes that's probably HBF/BP, though we already have: Greaves, Day, Scrimshaw, Impey, Hardwick and Frost playing in these positions. That doesn't account for Downie, DGB and Sicily either.

Last edited:
Selection this year will be interesting - will Clarko be still stuck in his win ‘the next game at all costs and play senior players at all costs’ mentality which worked in 2011-15 when we had an elite group (but has failed us since then ) or go back his 2004 approach of focusing on developing a flag winning group - even if we cop losses on the journey. The best way to fast track development is at afl level.

Yes some balance needs to be struck - can’t play all kids obviously, but it’s the 2-3 spots a week that makes a difference. Playing too many foot soldiers (with limited scope to be premiership players) if a good path to be stuck mid table for a long long time.

The wing is a good example - will we just see Phillips, Morrison and say shiels/cousins/JOM fill the wing spots every week or will downie and others get an extended run?

Selection this year will be interesting - will Clarko be still stuck in his win ‘the next game at all costs and play senior players at all costs’ mentality which worked in 2011-15 when we had an elite group (but has failed us since then ) or go back his 2004 approach of focusing on developing a flag winning group - even if we cop losses on the journey. The best way to fast track development is at afl level.

Yes some balance needs to be struck - can’t play all kids obviously, but it’s the 2-3 spots a week that makes a difference. Playing too many foot soldiers (with limited scope to be premiership players) if a good path to be stuck mid table for a long long time.

The wing is a good example - will we just see Phillips, Morrison and say shiels/cousins/JOM fill the wing spots every week or will downie and others get an extended run?
Clarko still played a lot of experienced players in 2005-2007. Probably played more underdeveloped talent in 2009 when we got smashed by injuries. He will build a young core with experienced players all around them and then rotate more youth through. I’m sure we will see more youth than last year. We have lost a lot of experience so it will be a necessity just to field a team but don’t expect to see a centre line of downie, Finn, day all season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back