Who should we select?

Remove this Banner Ad

riccardo

Club Legend
May 28, 2003
Tecoma
Other Teams
St Kilda
In your opinion, which Ruckman should St Kilda go with in the PS or National draft?

Of the 4 that are available, I think Ackland is the most realistic option. He will likley be available when we have a selection, and I think he has all the physical tools to succeed in the position.

Or is "none" your preffered option - should we just plug away with Kosi and Blake and see what happens?

Thoughts please.

If we are to go by what The Age has to say (29/10), it appears that Hawthorn have made an offer to Blake and Richmond are lurking around like the bad smell that they have become at this time of year.

It also says that should we lose Knobel and Blake it could free up some space for us to have a shot at recruiting Clark Keating to the club.

Being so far down the pecking order in the PSD, I don't think we'll have much of an opportunity to draft him. He's also about 29 years of age and injury prone. That being said, he's a far better option than any of the other delisted ruckman up for grabs.

I really think Kosi is our best option in the ruck. At almost 200cms, athletic and mobile he's definitely worth a shot. I was quite disappointed by what I had to see from Barry Brooks this year but if he can take a big step forward and we draft a young ruckman we might be OK. Keeping Blake would be important but realistically he's not a long term rucking option.

Jesus, at the rate we're going with ruckman at the moment, I'd be happy with anybody over 6'3! :eek:

But out of that list, I'd definetly want Keating. He might not play all 22 regular season games, but he's a proven big game performer and easily the best out of that list.

Also, in the national Draft, I wouldn't complain if we went after a mature age ruckman from the VFL, WAFL, ect, ect around the age of 24 if he were able to contribute right away. Sorta like Ben Hudson from the Crows who looks like a pretty decent player IMO.

We need a ruckman that is going to perform now not in 5 or so years as we are a chance for the flag next year thats why if knobel and blake go we should have enough room in the salary to go after keating but i doubt he will still be there at that stage after that i would say probably Mckee but he's not great so i would probably stick with kosi and stone coming off the rookie, what about pfitzner is he a ruckman or just a tall back/forward?

i think he could still be there......
Richmond- Like the look of Knobel and Blake
Hawks- Like Blake
Bulldogs said they are not going to participate
colingwood for ashley mcgrath
Kangaroos- ????? They said they like the look of Knobel and Blake..... dont know if they can afford keating after they delisted a minimum wage player in porter.
Freo- Keating wants to come to a Melbourne club
W.C.E.- Keating wants to come to a Melbourne club and they dont need a ruckman
Sydney- Just got Jolly and have Doyle for the future. Keating wants to come to a Melbourne club
Melbourne- Dont need ruckman -White, Jamar, Johnson
Geelong- King, Ottens, Chambers Dont need ruckman
St.Kilda- Yes........We need and want him. Have room in cap if blake and knobel both walk.

Don't despair yet Sainters you haven't lost Knobel and Blake yet

If you do though, i would think that the only options in the PSD by the time your pick comes around will be Porter or McKee

I would say that its pretty likely that Ackland will go in the National Draft, and if Keating nominates for PSD someone will find room for him well before the Saints pick

Geez I don't know about Keating guys.

He's old, he's extremely overweight (does he even train these days?), has so many injury problems & would cost a fair amount.

Sure he popped up and gunned it in a couple of grand finals, but look at the opposition those years (Josh Fraser, small body) & where was he prior to the finals?

Sorry guys, I don't think he's the magic answer.

Oh and as for the "if Knobel & Blake go we'll have extra room in the salary cap". Well if you're both playing near minimum wage, I doubt it frees up that much room.

sainter said:
I really think Kosi is our best option in the ruck. At almost 200cms, athletic and mobile he's definitely worth a shot. I was quite disappointed by what I had to see from Barry Brooks this year but if he can take a big step forward and we draft a young ruckman we might be OK. Keeping Blake would be important but realistically he's not a long term rucking option.

Agreed on all fronts, but we should definitely hang onto Blake.

Savatage said:
Oh and as for the "if Knobel & Blake go we'll have extra room in the salary cap". Well if you're both playing near minimum wage, I doubt it frees up that much room.

We wouldn't free up a lot of space but there would be a lot less room available to re-sign the young players out of contract next year if we paid Knobel and Blake what they were asking.

I don't want to be too critical of the two players in question, the offers probably are far lower than what would be on offer at other clubs. It's just a shame that two important members of our team in 2004 will be unable to share in what we expect to be some very good times ahead.

sainter said:
We wouldn't free up a lot of space but there would be a lot less room available to re-sign the young players out of contract next year if we paid Knobel and Blake what they were asking.

I don't want to be too critical of the two players in question, the offers probably are far lower than what would be on offer at other clubs. It's just a shame that two important members of our team in 2004 will be unable to share in what we expect to be some very good times ahead.

They're not asking for ridiculous amounts to be fair to them. I don't know, I'm not sure we should be pushing these guys out the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

milnedog44 said:
How about Porter, i admit havn't seen a lot of him since he has changed all over the place, not bad as i remember
Very poor skills, Not that tall....though played very well at Carlton.

My Verdict: No.

No i wouldont want Porter.
Any one know about Ackland.
He is 196cm
weighs 96kg
and is turning 23
Skills....... Ground work.......?????????????
Port Adelaide Web-Site says...........

"With the loss of ruckman Primus, a small window of opportunity arose for Ackland in 2003, however he was struck down with osteitis pubis in the pre-season and later succumbed to a hamstring injury. In between injury he showed some good form with the Magpies in the SANFL. For a ruckman, he is agile, has good hands, and can take a solid pack mark. Showed some promise in his 12 AFL games in 2001 when he played both forward and in ruck. The lad from Coffin Bay will have ‘no injuries’ as a key goal for 2004."

If Keating is not there i would have Ackland as my second choice.

Not Keating, too expensive and could end up being a liability! Only played 11 games last year (I think).
Ackland.

now keating has signed i would say ackland. If we had to choose out of them i guess i would choose ackland. I think he only needs a fresh start at a new club and he will play very well.

Cheer Red Blood said:
Sydney; Delisted Mott.
Fremantle;Delisted Mott.
Carlton; Delisted Mott.

Why do you want him?

Just another option on the poll, I was interested to see if anyone would want him, thats all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back