Prediction Who should we take with pick 2?

Who do you want at pick 2?

• Riley Thilthorpe

Votes: 16 6.6%
  • Elijah Hollands

Votes: 111 45.7%
  • Logan McDonald

Votes: 86 35.4%
  • Will Phillips

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Denver Grainger-Barras

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It really does seem like there is an undisputed top 7 (regardless of order) and they are all outstanding prospects. Two of them are academy picks so that means Essendon is going to have three also-ran picks with their (current) 6, 7 and 8. Now that's a shame.

It really does seem like there is an undisputed top 7 (regardless of order) and they are all outstanding prospects. Two of them are academy picks so that means Essendon is going to have three also-ran picks with their (current) 6, 7 and 8. Now that's a shame.
Yes, a terrible shame indeed...

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But about changing kicking technique - I did it in my 30s. (But I could always kick fairly straight to begin with and can learn new physical techniques quickly. Most of it was fundamentally sound.)

But his kicking looks all kinds of wrong. Like head to think his way thru it before each kick. Ironically that implies he may have no muscle memory for kicking and it may be fixable.

Personally I'd be chasing Campbell and Hollands this draft if it was all up to me and possible. Ie trying to get picks two and three. But I still like the way Phillips attacks the ball.

Agree with that. I was taught how to kick by my uncle and was always hit and miss, basically I had the ball hitting my foot horizontal. Then I watched some afl players kick, they hold the ball vertical and shape their foot. Anyway I changed my kicking pretty quickly after that. Actually became a reliable kick....shame it was too late in the game though.

Long story short, kicking technique can be changed but it takes a lot of practice and excepting that you’ve got it wrong.

That’s honestly one of the funniest things about this draft

essendon loading up on first rounders but in a range outside the top tier where the rest of the first rounders are fairly even

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was keen on McDonald but now I’m on the Hollands bus. Looks like a jet. I read a knock on him in the draft thread was that he doesn’t win his own ball, but going from a few videos I’ve watched that doesn’t seem to be an issue. Very classy player

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
ALL the key forwards taken top 5 in the draft since the buddy and roughie draft in 2004.

2019 Luke Jackson - looks promising
2018 Jack Lukosius - playing backline
2018 Max King - looks promising
2015 Josh Scache - BUST
2014 Paddy McCartin - BUST
2013 Tom Boyd - BUST
2012 Jonathan O'Rourke - BUST
2011 Jonathon Patton - BUST
2010 Sam Day - BUST
2008 Jack Watts - BUST
2007 Jarrad Grant - BUST
2006 Scott Gumbleton - BUST
2005 Josh Kennedty - BOOM

This is true but it's nuanced, you have to look at how some well performed (in last 10 years) key forwards got to their clubs too.

Jesse Hogan - U17 preselection
Joe Daniher - Father-son under previous system
Jeremy Cameron - Expansion preselection
Taylor Walker - NSW Scholarship scheme
Travis Cloke - Father-son under previous system
Tom Hawkins - Father-son under previous system
Charlie Dixon - Expansion preselection

That's a group of good to excellent key forward who all bypassed the standard draft process, Some of them might've distorted the top 5 valuations otherwise.

What I'm saying is that some of these guys were effectively top 5 picks.

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The only annoying thing is the sense of entitlement from some of the media commentators.

There's a veiled undertone of "why would North want pick 2?"

"Essendon and Brisbane are red hot on Logan McDonald etc" ~ Well ******* good on them. I'm sure we were red hot on Matt Rowell last year. It doesn't make it so.

Cough up a scenario in which we still get a top 5 pick or pay a kings ransom and they can have him.

I pissed myself at Tim Watson this morning saying Essendon would be the ones rejecting an offer for 6 & 7 from North and North would have to sweeten that deal with #30 to make it worth the while for the Bombers. As if they were doing us a favour. PMSL.

Then Gary said something along the lines of "5 & 27 is probably fair from the GC"....

Get f’ed. We will just take McDonald if we have to.

Hey Pykie, I went back and found where Kingy was talking about splitting pick 2 on the Draft Day program on Foxtel504, it was during the Essendon wrap up, he said Essendon should split 8 for 18 and 19 and give us 6 or 7 and 18 or 19, so yep it wasn't 7 and 8 it was a worse idea by Kingy. ;)

Whether the Roos will use pick two or trade it for multiple selections…

"We'll still have that discussion. Pick two's great, we haven't had that high of a pick for a while but the option's there. We had a quick brief this morning on list management, the guys are well down the path with some of their strategy which I'm absolutely on board with. If it happened to be that we're able to split it out and it gives us an advantage where we can take some extra picks, then well and good. If not, we'll take the talent that's there."

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whether the Roos will use pick two or trade it for multiple selections…

"We'll still have that discussion. Pick two's great, we haven't had that high of a pick for a while but the option's there. We had a quick brief this morning on list management, the guys are well down the path with some of their strategy which I'm absolutely on board with. If it happened to be that we're able to split it out and it gives us an advantage where we can take some extra picks, then well and good. If not, we'll take the talent that's there."

Doesn’t hurt putting that bait out there and trying to lure something ridiculous. Otherwise no bueno

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey Pykie, I went back and found where Kingy was talking about splitting pick 2 on the Draft Day program on Foxtel504, it was during the Essendon wrap up, he said Essendon should split 8 for 18 and 19 and give us 6 or 7 and 18 or 19, so yep it wasn't 7 and 8 it was a worse idea by Kingy. ;)

9 times out of 10, when you win the toss, you bat. On the 10th instance, you consider having a bowl, but you come to your senses and you bat.

Trading pick 2 is pretty much the same thing. Unless Essendon offers their next 4 first rounders, they can GAGF.

Yeah but they could still get , say, Perkins, Cox and Reid. At this stage that would look like a pretty good haul.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Both Hollands and Phillips have good pace - happy with either at this point

Hollands is more power than pace.

I wouldn't necessarily call him quick.

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hollands is more power than pace.

I wouldn't necessarily call him quick.

Pykie, why would we be unhappy if we bid on BC and Sydney passed? this kid just looks like he has it all, ignore the fact that we miss out on so and so as I am not that impressed with any other players in this draft besides a few blokes that will go around our current third and fourth picks

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes, that's indeed the hype. This explosive half forward has often been mysticized by the emergence of Martin as an all time great, little do people know that Martin if not for his miraculous awakening in 2017 would be only a very good player in the previous 7 years. In other words, Martin is only one of a kind for the type of player. De Goey and Stringers are the next two best of that type and they are a considerable downgrade.

I rather us getting a harvey or wells type player and that would actually complete our midfield.
Stringer is a terrific footballer.
I have NFI why he is placed in same category as JDG.

He's been good for essendon by any metric.

Back