Prediction Who should we take with pick 2?

Who do you want at pick 2?

• Riley Thilthorpe

Votes: 16 6.6%
  • Elijah Hollands

Votes: 111 45.7%
  • Logan McDonald

Votes: 86 35.4%
  • Will Phillips

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Denver Grainger-Barras

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have us having only two tall fwds:Larkey & Comben (Unproven) with Xerri a ruckman &Jaywalker & MattM as pinch hitters.

for inside mids we have Cunners, Tyson, Amed, Jy, LDU, Bonar, JZ & outside mids as Polec, Dumont, Scott, Hall, with midfield minutes also to be had by Tarryn, Taylor, Stevo, Lmac, W walker, Perez.

So go tall at pick 2 and a mid at 11. Seems simple to me.

The talls will come up when we have a good midfield attacking system. There are plenty of talents in the 30s.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What quality KPF come up in the 30s? Not rucks, but true KPFs?
What quality KPF come up in the 30s? Not rucks, but true KPFs?

Dunno, oh wait, Nick larkey we got him at pick 73. Ben Brown at pick 47. So even pick 30 is early. Drew Pettis, pick 23. Proposition players will emerge once the mid is elite.

Dunno, oh wait, Nick larkey we got him at pick 73. Ben Brown at pick 47. So even pick 30 is early. Drew Pettis, pick 23. Proposition players will emerge once the mid is elite.
Larkey isn't a lock as yet, Ben Brown we just traded for chips, Drew was a good pickup (but well before 30). Defenders and rucks you can pick up late. But yet to be convinced on KPFs that aren't father sons. Can you name one, apart from Brown that went 30+?

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The talls will come up when we have a good midfield attacking system. There are plenty of talents in the 30s.

What current AFL key forwards are elite and were picked 30+?

I think people need to get their head around the fact that to get a high quality key forward, you need to invest a high pick in one. When picking a key forward it comes with an element of risk, probably more so than any other position. But the facts are and history proves this, you need to use a high pick, trade for one at a high price or pay a premium through FA to get one.

I’m not suggesting we have to use pick 2 on a tall, we take best available at that pick. What I’m suggesting whether it be at pick 11, next year or we run the gauntlet with FA, we almost certainly have to bring in an A grade key forward to win a flag

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
The only issue with Phillips for me is he seems to not be a natural, fluent kick.

McDonald for our first pick, and Powell for our second,,,,,,Powell seems to have gone under the radar, possible because of his 74 kg, but will be a very very good midfielder.

After reading the draft thread I’m undecided whether we should choose Holland, Holland’s or Hollands.

giphy.gif

Mar 25, 2002
37° 70' 12"
AFL Club
North Melbourne
After reading the draft thread I’m undecided whether we should choose Holland, Holland’s or Hollands.

We should have a 'greatest posts' compilation of Trade/Draft eon

I nominate the guy that suggested we draft Hollands even if Adelaide pick him before us. That'll learn 'em!

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whichever one we pick the club will be shocked that he was still available at pick 2.
Whoever the club chooses, we will all 'get behind him' no doubt. That is until he starts underperforming or developing slowly. In which case we will turn on him mercilessly, followed quickly by the recruiting team, club et al......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Digby Morrell

All Australian
Aug 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m a football moron and have only watched the players highlights like most here, but how would everyone feel if we picked Phillips? To me he stands out the most and looks likely to make an immediate impact.

susurrar

All Australian
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m a football moron and have only watched the players highlights like most here, but how would everyone feel if we picked Phillips? To me he stands out the most and looks likely to make an immediate impact.

he would be my pick. i just havent seen us linked to him at all though, so ive pretty much given up hope of us getting him now.

Footywizard

All Australian
Sep 2, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He looks a dime a dozen ball gatherer. Would have instant impact but I don't think he's the star were looking for.

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He looks a dime a dozen ball gatherer. Would have instant impact but I don't think he's the star were looking for.
The way I see it ...
Hollands - high risk high reward (dusty type when he got drafted)
McDonald - long term risk , can Slowly turn out to be a Nick Reiwoldt or Bust & turn into a Eric Hipwood slow candle burn type )
Phillips - Is the see what you will get type , gritty Andrew Swallow workman like week in week out , never a bad game , avg 20-25 possessions , 10 contested , 70% handball 30% kick ratio future captain 15 year player for one club...

InTheBack

Debutant
Sep 5, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The way I see it ...
Hollands - high risk high reward (dusty type when he got drafted)
McDonald - long term risk , can Slowly turn out to be a Nick Reiwoldt or Bust & turn into a Eric Hipwood slow candle burn type )
Phillips - Is the see what you will get type , gritty Andrew Swallow workman like week in week out , never a bad game , avg 20-25 possessions , 10 contested , 70% handball 30% kick ratio future captain 15 year player for one club...

So basically

Phillips is the person in the bar who is not creme of the crop but will take care of you for life.

Hollands/McDonald are the 10/10 who look good, but theres a high chance theyre bat s*** crazy/will ruin you life.

We all know how this story plays out.

Hollands/McDonald it is!

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thilthorpe, Phillips, Granger-Barras, Perkins, Hollands, McDonald in that order.
I really hope the crows take Thilthorpe by peer group pressure alone being a SA boy through & through. I mean , imagine the outrage from the crows supporters If he ends up being a star at north or another Vic club ?
I could be wrong but I think we will end up choosing from Logan or Elijah ... at 2

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We should have a 'greatest posts' compilation of Trade/Draft eon

I nominate the guy that suggested we draft Hollands even if Adelaide pick him before us. That'll learn 'em!

Is it too late to start?

How about we take The Egg. BOG against us then gets delisted. Proven performer vs a bunch of maybes

Back