Scape Goat Who should we trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm too scared two say anything now. It might derail the thread into Asian, or Yank, or Pommy lesions.

Rd 5 and trading everyone - hmmm - well rD 5 is next, isnt It? /^*

It was a play on words

Loosen the tie and relax, you don’t need to tell me how you are more educated than all and sundry with every post you make
Haha! I didn't notice the bracket was around the m as well, point still stands.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any chance we get back to who we're trading?

I don't see any value we have to trade, to be honest, unless we're talking late picks, just to turn the list over. Which has to be done to continue the pivot, but we're not going to get anything near 1st round picks, or even second.

It's the long game now, and we're a decent way into it, if Jeka, Kosi, DGB, are three of the 4 of the next spine - the hardest bit. We have Reeves already as well, so what are trading for when we have nothing to trade?

Maybe Mitchell or O'Meara want to try for some silverware next year, but we will not get what they are worth, the same for Wingard - we need some experience, if we're going to get rid of the "bad" or under-preforming experienced players, so they only go if they ask to go.

Leaves Worpel - seriously, we trade our next main bull whose never injured - that would be stupid, imo.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have an over supply of half backs and slow inside mids.

Not sure we'd get bang for our buck on any we could live with out though.

I could throw out some names but could live without the blowback.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
We are in an awkward spot when it comes to trading.

The players that would likely interest other clubs are probably worth more to us then what they would net.

If we were going to trade Gunston and Breust, the time would have been two years ago. Now no one would be offering a first rounder for either. Would anyone do it for second rounders?

We really don't have much to offer bar Mitchell or Wingard, which we wouldn't do, or Worpel, who we would be selling very low based on his form since 2019.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We are in an awkward spot when it comes to trading.

The players that would likely interest other clubs are probably worth more to us then what they would net.

If we were going to trade Gunston and Breust, the time would have been two years ago. Now no one would be offering a first rounder for either. Would anyone do it for second rounders?

We really don't have much to offer bar Mitchell or Wingard, which we wouldn't do, or Worpel, who we would be selling very low based on his form since 2019.
Did you just copy my post with different words that was only 2 posts back ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What would be the point, though? If the club doesn't like the way he plays, they can just drop him, which they've shown very little interest in doing thus far. Even then, he'd still likely be more useful as a back-up option who at least knows the game plan already.

If you want to trade your way to a better list in the medium term, you need to make actual sacrifices. And a lot supporters - and maybe even some players - are just not going to be able to cope with the kind of names that would need to be given up to get they kinds of players the club needs.
If we were going to be serious at really shaking up the list Sicily and Worpel would be the 2 we dangle. We would get a very good return for James either 2 first rounders or a like for like trade (Luke Ryan from Freo as an example). We will never do it but i disagree that we dont have valuable assets that we can put up for trade.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Should clarify JAMES Sicily im refering to.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The thoughts of trading Worps has left me with a sense of what the Breust fans must have felt.

If there was a serious push to grab 2 first Rd picks I’d hand Sicily out to see what came back.
I actually think he is a dead set gun and probably the only guy on the list with that value.

The trade table door closed when we didn’t see the writing on the wall with the list a couple of seasons ago.
We are draft bound and future 4th traders for the next couple of seasons.
We can’t afford to hand off our BnF bull mid with the closet bare behind him.
We can’t dump Mitchell or Jags as the commitment has been made from both player and club to see it out.

We passed on guys like Witherden, as an example, to free up the plethora of options we seem to have in the back half to get them more up the ground yet went for Phillips in a highly skilled position where the likes of Impey, Scrimshaw, Morrison ect can all move to. Those players would not get us first Rd pick to move them on.

Not saying that we didn’t try with Witho and that the deals may have just been a bit rich to get it done.

Traded players will come from guys like Shiels, Cegs, TO, Howe, Cousins, Hanrahan, Greaves and Nash who would be looking for more opportunity and/or are place holders for better players.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What about getting some free agents from other clubs?

I’ll go first, what about Zach Merrett and Josh Kelly?

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We shouldn’t be trying to trade out our core players we see a future with unless it directly involves getting someone back (Wingard/Burton trade).

Impey, Wingard, Frost, O’Meara, Mitchell, Worpel, Scrimshaw, Jiath, Day, Hardwick, Worpel, Sicily, Morrison, Lewis, etc all should stay. MAYBE you trade out one of our half backs if there really isn’t a place for them to go.

Could possibly see a trade being done for Howe or Cousins.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
If we were going to be serious at really shaking up the list Sicily and Worpel would be the 2 we dangle. We would get a very good return for James either 2 first rounders or a like for like trade (Luke Ryan from Freo as an example). We will never do it but i disagree that we dont have valuable assets that we can put up for trade.
Trading Sicily makes no sense as coming off an ACL his value is probably at it's lowest now.

He is also arguably when fit our best player with an important skill that we lack and is only 26 so could still be apart of our next flag.

The thing with Worpel is unless he decided he wanted out (we have no indication he does) we would get absolutely bent over in a trade.

If we tried pushing him out wherever he decides to go would absolutely over significant unders, which does not help us.

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have too many one dimensional mids, too slow and all the same height.

I would genuinely be open to trading one of Worpel or O'Meara, if we could get another top 10 pick.

Then we could draft Sonsie, Sinn/Chesser/Johnson/Roberts. Alongside pick 21, 22 for perhaps some medium forwards like Howe, Erasmus, Nankervis.

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

I would genuinely be open to trading one of Worpel or O'Meara, if we could get another top 10 pick.

Then we could draft Sonsie, Sinn/Chesser/Johnson/Roberts. Alongside pick 21, 22 for perhaps some medium forwards like Howe, Erasmus, Nankervis.

No one is going to trade a top 10 pick for Worpel or O'Meara in this draft. Maybe 15-20? But i'd rather each of them than a pick in the late teens.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Only team that would trade for Worpel at the minute would be Geelong and I don't think they have a first rounder currently.
I also don't think we'd be well served by trading either.
Of all our midfielders I think Titch has the most currency and I can't see us moving him on either.

danielG

All Australian
Jun 27, 2009
richmond
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I support this. I'd be leaning towards Worpel being dispensable. I've really liked what O'Meara has done this year. Worpel I've never thought of as elite and definitely not thriving in the system we're trying to develop this year. I also don't think the tagging role is his future. If someone offer a late first rounder for Worpel I'd be taking it and brining in a young talent to hopefully develop as Port & Sydney have. If we run out with Mitchell, Worpel, Sheils & O'Meara as part of our best 22 next year I think it's an opportunity wasted.
For those with knowledge in the U18 talent, is Sonsie the clear third best behind Daicos and Horne ? Who of Sonsie,
Sinn, Chesser, Johnso n& Roberts
gives us the greatest point of difference to our current mids...Sinn (though he's listed as a defender) ??
If we get rolled by the Roos in a few weeks the silver lining might be a crack at Horne (unlikely as it is), he's a taltent like we haven't seen in years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back