Scape Goat Who should we trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Then get what we can for fringe players like TOB, Ceglar and an established player like Shiels. Maybe we can package picks up and make a move.
You're not getting anything of note for those players.

Definitely nothing that will sit inside of 2,21 and 22

You're not getting anything of note for those players.

Definitely nothing that will sit inside of 2,21 and 22

yes but if we were to stockpile three future fourths the entire footy world will be cowering at the prospect of what we might do with them

Not sure if your trolling or not, but we are currently no where close to reaching finals next year and contending the following. We need to go to the draft for the next 2/3 years aggresively and be accepting of a few years of being bottom 4. Downie, Maginess and DGB will not help us rise to a finals run next year, will need some patience and development.
Not trolling, just really optimistic. I like our core players and think they can take us somewhere. Downie, Maginness and DGB in their current output won’t take us to finals next year. I reckon they would have improved in the next year though. Let’s see how our year pans out shall we.

Its a lot easier to be a negative poster on this board. It’s always a win-win situation. Player does terribly, you called it! Player does well, happily wrong!

You should be hoping I’m right though ;)

Yeah they do, 2022 1st round.
I think the only reason we'd do that was if we were to trade out our 2022 r1 for a pick in the 6-9 mark this year (a team who thinks they're in a good spot moving into next year and wants to capitalise on our flatness) and we wanted to make sure we had some capital in that draft.

Not sure if your trolling or not, but we are currently no where close to reaching finals next year and contending the following. We need to go to the draft for the next 2/3 years aggresively and be accepting of a few years of being bottom 4. Downie, Maginess and DGB will not help us rise to a finals run next year, will need some patience and development.

Yeah it's pretty hard to imagine us getting out of the bottom 4 in the next couple of years, just way too many holes from the worst spine in the comp, lack of speed and class in midfield to lack of quality small forwards.

Everyone should be potentially on the table if the offer was right and they were willing to explore options.

Let's not kid ourselves.

If we want to be premiership team, not just a make up the numbers team, we need to add 3 or more star players at a minimum.

2 star mids with speed and skill who can kick goals and a big target goal kicking forward for starters. Plus a pressure forward and fast line breaking wingmen etc.

Of the mid aged or above players, if I was another club I might want:

Wingard
JOM
Mitch
Impey
Sicily
Gunston
Bruest
They could increase a club's flag chances.

We don't have much else.

I would consider trading any of them. I would not trade more than 3 of them.

Circa 2003-5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the mid aged or above players, if I was another club I might want:

Wingard
JOM
Mitch
Impey
Sicily
Gunston
Bruest
They could increase a club's flag chances.

We don't have much else.

I would consider trading any of them. I would not trade more than 3 of them.

Circa 2003-5
What are we getting for them though ?
No point trading for the sake of it.

Gunston and Bruest should be untouchable anyway , we have limited forward power.

I really dont think we get a top 20 pick for any of the others for a variety of reasons to be honest .

yes but if we were to stockpile three future fourths the entire footy world will be cowering at the prospect of what we might do with them
Well done - I see what you did here.

It has been a bit ridiculous some of the comments from our supporters at how much better we were at trading with Wright walking in like god Gifs.

Our current list issues suggests otherwise, by quite a large margin.

What are we getting for them though ?
No point trading for the sake of it.

Gunston and Bruest should be untouchable anyway , we have limited forward power.

I really dont think we get a top 20 pick for any of the others for a variety of reasons to be honest .

Wingard or JOM or Mitch could get a pick after 8 if they maintain their form.

Impey could get a late first round to early 2nd.

Sicily could get 10 or above.

Gunston or Bruest - could get late first round.

Best case... the right team with the right need.

If the Dogs fell short of a flag this year i'm sure they would love to add Wingard after chasing him heavily when he was leaving Port. The issue is that the main fringe player at the Dogs is Pat Lipinski and with Morrison, Phillips and Downie we look to have that position adequately covered moving forward.

I'd consider Chad and our 2 second rounders for Bailey Smith and the Dogs second round. That's the only fantasy trade i'm happy to dream about right now. Season 2020 is still alive and we honestly should be 2-3 and sitting a lot higher on the ladder than we are right now.

I'd consider Chad and our 2 second rounders for Bailey Smith and the Dogs second round. That's the only fantasy trade i'm happy to dream about right now. Season 2020 is still alive and we honestly should be 2-3 and sitting a lot higher on the ladder than we are right now.
Gotta let it go man... it's gone... :tearsofjoy:

Gotta let it go man... it's gone... :tearsofjoy:

Oh, not THAT sort of alive. Just alive in the sense that we will know more about our current crop of youth come seasons end than we do now. Remember that at this point in 2019 we weren't expecting Mitch Lewis to have a huge second half of the season. Things (and possible draft needs) can change a fair bit between now and September.

Oh, not THAT sort of alive. Just alive in the sense that we will know more about our current crop of youth come seasons end than we do now. Remember that at this point in 2019 we weren't expecting Mitch Lewis to have a huge second half of the season. Things (and possible draft needs) can change a fair bit between now and September.
When you reply with logic, it makes me feel bad for being a smart-ass... :huh:

Last edited:
Around them? Are we just going to ignore the 6-6-6 rule and put more people in the center square? If we rotate those 3 as to who is at the stoppages, then they have to be played elsewhere and all 3 of them, especially Mitchell, don't have any value elsewhere on the ground.

We need more than one with speed, acceleration and agility who can kick over a jam jar to be used in and around stoppages and 1 top draft pick selection won't bring that. Mitchell isn't an enigma who can't be replaced. Neither are Worpel or JOM. If a good deal is offered, it needs to be looked at as an opportunity to upgrade.

Unfortunately a bad mix of stubbornness and sentiment towards the list has seen us with one of the worst lists in the league so we need to consider playing the long game and giving up who we consider a 'key' player.

Won't happen, though. Clarkson doesn't consider trading those who fit his 2015 gameplan.
How are you still not an AFL coach. You know everything there is to know about team structures, strength in positional changes, team tactics etc. Just bewildering.

I mean you've basically been on Clarko's arse since about 2014 from memory.

Surely you'll be close to ready in the next couple years so we can all witness the legendary SLB strutt his stuff as a senior coach.

Maybe the players will kick to a lead with you at the forefront :$

We should adopt a 25 and under rule- no more old people I don't care how good they are. Only those with good skills, grunt, stamina and high IQ need apply. I would like types like Walsh, Rowell, Brayshaw. Then we need the closest thing to Cyril we can get: Kysaiah Pickett from Melbourne. Double his wages and bring him in. Add another crafty forward, or two. Dare I say, trade a player or two like Gunston/Wingard/ Omeara/Mitchell (keep Breust as he is part of our next premiership in his final year ala Crawford) for a top 10 pick- to a contending team who happens to have a high pick or picks from a previous year(s). Pick up 2 or 3 ready made guns, pick 2/3, 20/21 and let's say pick 9 and 13(from the trades) . Do some other deal to get pick 17 and 22.

Then you go hard. Hire extra professionals if need be, those who analyze data and footage. Actually invest heavily in this area. It has become apparent some clubs are consistently picking the good players. There's no doubt Port/Tigers are doing this in the last couple of years. If this club wants to stay relevant they need to act now. I still believe my beloved Hawks will be the first team that gets to 20 flags, so move your ass. We can only put up with this shite for so long.

Kysaiah Pickett, that's my pick. Rowell and Walsh I feel won't be leaving anytime soon. Who else? Under 25 of course. Freo Brayshaw whats his contract status and rship with club and fans? Would love that guy he is a star.

I think we can get a great deal for one our older guys who could contribute to a contending team like dogs for example. Picks and fringe player. We need to be aggressive. Obviously some guys like Day are untouchable.

I enjoyed writing that, hope you enjoyed reading that. We messed it up with list management but it can be fixed in a couple of years but we need to invest heavily into scouting, analysis of players and overall research into picking the best players.

Take care be kind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back