Scape Goat Who should we trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

The drums should be beating for mitchell, for those saying keep him why? In both short term and long term

(I think we would get between 20-30 for him) But open up cap space..
A ball winner like him would have contenders salivating. He's at least a top 10 pick

The only way Mitchell moves on is if it's his choice.

Not the best look to bring in players like JOM or TOM and then trade them out. I'm still smarting after the tipping out of previous champions. I don't think these actions make us a so called 'destination club', TBH I think we'd be the lest desirable destination currently.

It’s a shame some of the players that we’d think about trading are on long term contracts and good coin (eg Tom, JOM, wingard. Think Mitchell may be on $1m p.a. which would make him basically untradeable unless in a treloar like deal). Paying these guys salaries and a first round pick probably not going to happen.

Engineering some FA losses would have been a great win given our likely draft position. Another list management stuff up - overrated where we were in 2018 and signed guys up for 5 years etc.

Our greatest errors in list management was we were quick to nudge our champions towards the door but we let the dead wood remain. 80% of our list are A not good enough to compete against quality or B nit going to be around when we do add quality to the list. Long story short is we are in dire straights.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing sometimes but at the same time it can highlight poor decision making; looking at GW here...

2019 after a leg break we extend contract by 2 years but giving 4 years to a player moving into unknown territory with recovery and to one of our ‘premium’ cap spend players.

Footy is a ruthless business and the clarko of old would not of allowed this

We 100% should not trade JOM he is basically the captain when the game is hot and our most important player but he needs better around him, Mitchell to me is the only one with some perceived value and I’m sure we could pump his stats up a bit...

Shiels would be on some coin, Mitchell coin, Shaun coin, there’s an a grader and roll player in the off season with that cap spend, even if we need to shift Mitchell off the books for $

(worpel would have some value but diminishing after his current year and has far more value to us in getting his game right again)

If Mitchell stays I don’t see us fixing our issues just bandaids over the cracks

The drums should be beating for mitchell, for those saying keep him why? In both short term and long term

(I think we would get between 20-30 for him) But open up cap space..
What is the benifit of cap space while you are rebuilding we have no one to spend it on.

We should definitely listen to offer on Tom however only for a first round pick. Which I am almost certain we would get for him.

However no point trading him for a pick in the 20s.

Our greatest errors in list management was we were quick to nudge our champions towards the door but we let the dead wood remain. 80% of our list are A not good enough to compete against quality or B nit going to be around when we do add quality to the list. Long story short is we are in dire straights.
Yeah this is baffling. We held onto Stratton, Celgar, etc. But moved on Hodge, Mitchell and l
Lewis so quickly.

What is the benifit of cap space while you are rebuilding we have no one to spend it on.

We should definitely listen to offer on Tom however only for a first round pick. Which I am almost certain we would get for him.

Can both Mitchell and Worpel play in the same side effectively? if they are fighting for same spot, one of them may seek a home elsewhere, but would involve a trade. On the other hand being pro active may net us Top 10 pick for Mitchell. As many have said signings on long term contract on large contract will not have too many suiters, especially those in premiership window.

Cap space is pretty important when we need to rebuild a competitive midfield, if we don’t offer overs to anyone who may be potential I doubt they move.

I'd take that over trading Sicily everyday of the week. I doubt either is on the table, but Sicily is "untouchable" if we want to progress, imo.
IMO, letting Mitchell go would depend on whom we're bringing in. I wouldn't trade him just for the picks, it'd have to be part of a bigger transition.

If we could snare either of Kelly or Merrett via FA* then I'd look to trade Mitchell for whatever we could get & trade our 2022 1st for Bolton (Rich).

But if Bolton isn't keen & the FA don't bite them I'd not be doing it.

*could try to grab Merrett + Kelly of course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO, letting Mitchell go would depend on whom we're bringing in. I wouldn't trade him just for the picks, it'd have to be part of a bigger transition.

If we could snare either of Kelly or Merrett via FA* then I'd look to trade Mitchell for whatever we could get & trade our 2022 1st for Bolton (Rich).

But if Bolton isn't keen & the FA don't bite them I'd not be doing it.

*could try to grab Merrett + Kelly of course
yeah, no point - I totally agree. The only reason to trade is to improve - lets put better players around Mitch and then see, esp since he's coming back from his leg - It took Voss 2 full seasons to come back to his best as just one example.

Someone with a better memory than me might be able to answer this.

Have we ever traded out a player who we brought in from another club via trade/FA/DFA under Clarkson's reign?
Do you mean under Wrights list management, sicne that was his job, not clarko's ?

It was Clarko calling the shots.

Last few years too, Wright was Football Manager, not list manager.
So what if it was?

He's human mate - humans make mistakes.

But if one human at the HFC deserves the chance to set it to rights it's Clarko.

So what if it was?

He's human mate - humans make mistakes.

But if one human at the HFC deserves the chance to set it to rights it's Clarko.
He's been making bad list management decisions for 5 years. Hasn't had a good player come that's been worth the cost. And he's kept playing them, robbing potential development time. No other coach has made this bad of list decisions. 1 or 2 is forgiveable, but 5 straight years of recruiting injury riddled trash or low grade players and continually playing them has our list where it is now.

But this is nothing to do with what my original question is.

He's been making bad list management decisions for 5 years. Hasn't had a good player come that's been worth the cost. And he's kept playing them, robbing potential development time. No other coach has made this bad of list decisions. 1 or 2 is forgiveable, but 5 straight years of recruiting injury riddled trash or low grade players and continually playing them has our list where it is now.

Mitchell, Henderson, Scrimshaw, Impey all clearly worth the cost.

You have no idea.

He isn't the list manager mate. Maybe get this fact into your head and you'll see that he can only coach what he is given. He's a coach, not a talent scout, though i don't see you whining about Dew, Goo, Hale, Gibson etc. Take the good with bad buddy, and he's provided far more good then bad, so far. Suck it up.

Give McKenzie a go, along with Sammy at Box Hill, Andy Collins, and McCare a chance.

No other coach has 4 flags mate so you're statement of "no other coach has made this bad of list decisions" is your personal vendetta speaking - Longmire - Tippet - Buddy - Reid - perspective mate.

Put a decent logical replacement in front of us instead of your hate just because you can't handle losing.

You're soft buddy.

Mitchell, Henderson, Scrimshaw, Impey all clearly worth the cost.

You have no idea.
First off, your list would be smaller than most other clubs. That list of names isn't something to use before uttering the words, "You have no idea".

Secondly, your list doesn't compare to mine:
Vickey, Hartigan, Phillips, Wingard, JOM, Scully, Patton, Minchington, Mohr and Frost who is now being exposed. Outside of Mohr and Minchington, all those other names are given free passes to play every week they're healthy.
My list is at 2.5:1 compared to yours.
Outside of Wingard and JOM who we grossly overpaid for, the rest are list clogging trash. No other coach would be able to recruit that much trash and get away with it. There's a reason we got a lot of them for late picks.

Thirdly, that wasn't my original question.
How many players has Clarkson traded who were brought in as trades/FA/DFA during his reign?

First off, your list would be smaller than most other clubs. That list of names isn't something to use before uttering the words, "You have no idea".

Secondly, your list doesn't compare to mine:
Vickey, Hartigan, Phillips, Wingard, JOM, Scully, Patton, Minchington, Mohr and Frost who is now being exposed. Outside of Mohr and Minchington, all those other names are given free passes to play every week they're healthy.
My list is at 2.5:1 compared to yours.
Outside of Wingard and JOM who we grossly overpaid for, the rest are list clogging trash. No other coach would be able to recruit that much trash and get away with it. There's a reason we got a lot of them for late picks.

Thirdly, that wasn't my original question.
How many players has Clarkson traded who were brought in as trades/FA/DFA during his reign?

yeah but you said 'hasnt had a single player' that's come that has been worth the cost

BJK then listed four. Doesn't matter how big your list is in this impressive list-measuring contest. It could be 200 and you'd still technically be wrong

also come on man. don't call our players 'list clogging trash'. surely we can be better than that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back