Scape Goat Who should we trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell as a midfielder isn't the problem. He's an excellent extractor, and a great link, getting into space all over the field.

The problem is our midfield mix as a whole, particularly at stoppages. Mitchell with more outside pace and class would be invaluable.

Yeah this is baffling. We held onto Stratton, Celgar, etc. But moved on Hodge, Mitchell and l
Lewis so quickly.
This is a genuinely stupid take, Stratton should have been All Australian in 2018... He was legit elite that year and you think we should have moved him on instead of Hodge, mitchell, Lewis?

Ceglar was also a 26ish year old ruckmen, you think we should have moved him on to retain some 30 year old midfielders?

Mitchell as a midfielder isn't the problem. He's an excellent extractor, and a great link, getting into space all over the field.

The problem is our midfield mix as a whole, particularly at stoppages. Mitchell with more outside pace and class would be invaluable.

100%

And with a ruckman who can compete with the taps.

Mitchell’s problem isn’t as a midfielder. It’s that he can’t play anywhere else. In what is a development year for the club Mitchell is at 80% of centre bounces. Which makes it hard to get other players time. Especially adding in JOM taking similar centre bounces.

Makes it challenging on players like Finn, Worpel, cousins etc.

Also he is super poor defensively. Especially for such a senior player having to have others cover so much for him. We won’t play Finn because he needs to learn defensive structures but allow Mitchell to ball hunt all day?

In 2018 when he was flying and we were top 4 this was good. Not so given it’s a building year and our list is in a development stage. Plus is disposal and creativity has regressed.

I would like to trade him, but I can’t see the club wanting to do it. Either way we need to use him better because he isn’t helping our development or the team at the moment.

Correct. Put Bailey Smith and Karl Amon into our side and Mitchell‘s impact changes significantly.

We need class ball users, and people that can move through or leave contests at pace.

We are feeling the loss of Smith, Henderson and Scully I think.

Correct. Put Bailey Smith and Karl Amon into our side and Mitchell‘s impact changes significantly.

We need class ball users, and people that can move through or leave contests at pace.

We ain't fixing the bold in just 1 season and with the same midfielders we currently have. something has to give, whether that be internal changes or external pickups.

Mitchell, Shiels, Worpel, Jager, wingard + Fringe players - My feeling is Two of the first 3 have to go to give the team balance - Mitchell is my biggest worry based on the last games and the only one with fair value

We ain't fixing the bold in just 1 season and with the same midfielders we currently have. something has to give, whether that be internal changes or external pickups.

Mitchell, Shiels, Worpel, Jager, wingard + Fringe players - My feeling is Two of the first 3 have to go to give the team balance - Mitchell is my biggest worry based on the last games and the only one with fair value
You don’t gut the midfield to build it. Imagine what Melbourne would be like now if they traded Oliver and Brayshaw back when their mix with Viney and Jones wasn’t working well and Petracca hadnt come on....they’d be damn ordinary.

Besides, we took Hendo as a delisted FA, and profited.
It’s not likely we can find two players that balance us considerably in one off season, but it’s also not impossible.

Give it 12-24 months and they'll be dishing it out to Morrison, Day, Downie, and Phillips in those wing positions in a more integrate system.
I think we'll see a lot from the players we currently have on the list in those positions and I think we currently need to give those players more license to make magic up the field. Morrison has been used more defensively the last couple weeks and that has definitely coincided with a downturn in his output/effective delivery into 50.

If there’s any update ‘s**t’ to be cleaned up it’s one of the last few posts I read. Just listen to yourselves people

mind yOu I shouldn’t be surprised. It is here I once read drafting rough buddy and Lewis was the worst, if not the worst thing ever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Collingwood trade for Treloar is a really good example to keep in mind for this thread.

Trading out players against their wishes hurts the squad and impacts a team’s morale and momentum as a playing group.

On the flip side - if say Titch or Chad desperately wanted to win a GF in the next 2 years then it’s a good idea to assess trade options.

The Treloar deal actually makes it appealing for contenders to top up with that final price the puzzle. Look at the Dogs - Treloar as that extra A grader shines and makes the other mids look even better.

If we could get a first round pick from North for Gunston then do it; as their club has a history of making some weird decisions for our benefit.

Collingwood were interested last year not sure what was to be offered.

Can’t see them being interested anymore either.

Yep you're right. At that time we could have snagged a first rounder, especially with the Pies mindset at the time. Gunston is a class player and first game back so will cut him slack, however besides Mitchell and perhaps Scilly when right (who I would never trade) who else is there? Breust perhaps? Jiath no way. We unfortunately are in for a few years of pain and need to re-build with youth and draft picks such as, Day, Downie, Denver, McGuiness etc..

Yep you're right. At that time we could have snagged a first rounder, especially with the Pies mindset at the time. Gunston is a class player and first game back so will cut him slack, however besides Mitchell and perhaps Scilly when right (who I would never trade) who else is there? Breust perhaps? Jiath no way. We unfortunately are in for a few years of pain and need to re-build with youth and draft picks such as, Day, Downie, Denver, McGuiness etc..
Too late to trade Bruest now missed the boat getting some value for him.

Also re trading Titch - he’s pretty good mates and relates well to some of the younger guys in the team.

He’d be an awesome person to model your approach to work on (think he said he was at the club every day for the first few years). Imagine that factors into the likes of Scrim and CJ improving.

Same goes for the next lot of draftees - need to have people who know what it takes to be elite. The list can’t be just moneyball journeymen players + kids.

The Collingwood trade for Treloar is a really good example to keep in mind for this thread.

Trading out players against their wishes hurts the squad and impacts a team’s morale and momentum as a playing group.

On the flip side - if say Titch or Chad desperately wanted to win a GF in the next 2 years then it’s a good idea to assess trade options.

The Treloar deal actually makes it appealing for contenders to top up with that final price the puzzle. Look at the Dogs - Treloar as that extra A grader shines and makes the other mids look even better.
1000000% this.

You can not get close to fair value for a player you are 'forcing out', plus it kills culture.

If any of those older players want out and are recruited by other clubs you look at offers and consider anything if it is in the best interest in the club. You don't try and offload players just for the sake of a couple extra average picks.

While I totally agree with you, I think we may have to start being more concerned about players wanting to leave than the other way around. Sad reality of being near the bottom of the table.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back