who stays?

Remove this Banner Ad

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
About 5 rounds to go and I thought I'd do a little thread about who people think will stay and go by next year. What does everyine think about these guys. Ballas, jonno - look likely to stay. Sherro. Croz. Ibbo. Clarke. Uber. Deluca. Naihus. Mundy. Griffin. D pearce. Suban. Spur. Tabs (might request trade). Some might be contracted for next year, sorry if total research hasn't been done.

Perhaps the thread title should be "Who goes?" ? ... Anyway, IMHO these guys will most likely leave:
  • Duman (delist)
  • Dawson (retire)
  • Clarke (retire)
  • Griffin (retire)
  • Balic (North Melbourne or Carlton trade)
  • Collins (trade)
  • Taberner (trade)
  • Sheridan (trade)
  • Ibbotson (Free Agent)
  • Suban ? (Maybe stays as he has a young family here)

Retired:
Dawson, Griffin, MJ(?)

Delisted:
Duman, Clarke, Ibbo

Traded:
Balic

Staying:
Croz, Sherro, Suban, Tabs, Collins, Ballas, Tucker, Langdon

Retired:
Dawson, Griffin, MJ(?)

Delisted:
Duman, Clarke, Ibbo

Traded:
Balic

Staying:
Croz, Sherro, Suban, Tabs, Collins, Ballas, Tucker, Langdon

This is pretty spot on but MJ will go around for another year. Also Yarran "retiring" opens up another list spot so that's 6 senior list spots opening up for next year.

It's possible Suban may leave as he is an FA but he'll probably be offered a 1 or 2 year deal and take it.

d85e182f84d1873bd41cd26436cfe66a.jpeg

I'll have a go but think my list will be the same as most others:

Retire:
Griffin
Ibbo
D.Pearce

Delist:
Uber

Trade/move on:
Sheridan
Clarke
Suban

Stay:
Johnson (won't rule out retirement depending on how he feels at the end of the year)
Ballas (as above)
Crozier
Deluca
Nyhuis
Mundy
Spurr (will be kept on as depth)
Taberner

I won't rule out Suban and Pearce staying on one more year though depending on whether they stay on as depth or not.

For the sake of the club D Pearce should do a Priddis, he probably won't want to give up the coin though. Priddis will no doubt get looked after by the corporate types as part of his agreement to go.
Griff must be delisted.
You could make a case for another half dozen staying or going, but those two should be unequivocally gone. Whoever gave D Pearce two years was an idiot.

Collins is the only one on the potential chopping block I don't want to go - think he could be a gun but if Johnson goes round again it's another year for him parked on the Peel bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Retire: Yarran, Dawson, Griffin

Trade: Balic

De-list/Trade/Whatever: Sheridan, Ibbo

Players that I think need to go but will probably stay and spend most of their time in the WAFL: Ballantyne, Suban, D.Pearce (has a contract so unlikely he goes unless he does a Priddis)

Clarke who knows, he is the wild card. If he goes I think Griffin stays.

Collins, Ueber, Duman will all stay I almost guarantee it. We simply don't have enough picks to replace them all on the list and all have shown bits and pieces here and there.

5 ND picks plus 1 rookie, or 4+2 is about how it will go. Maybe they cut deeper and Suban/Ballas goes but who knows - we'd need to magic a pick or two from somewhere to make it worthwhile.

Next year a slightly bigger cut once the best-22 is more settled and Sandi/Johnno/Mundy retire.

5 ND picks plus 1 rookie, or 4+2 is about how it will go. Maybe they cut deeper and Suban/Ballas goes but who knows - we'd need to magic a pick or two from somewhere to make it worthwhile.

Next year a slightly bigger cut once the best-22 is more settled and Sandi/Johnno/Mundy retire.
Suban and Ballas are RTB favourites. They won't be delisted.

Suban has played the last 6 games and appears to have cemented his place again.

Ballas (and MJ) have apparently been told they are required players next year and will be offered new contracts.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/ve...for-another-season-at-fremantle-ng-b88554375z

Retire: Yarran, Dawson, Griffin

Trade: Balic

De-list/Trade/Whatever: Sheridan, Ibbo

Players that I think need to go but will probably stay and spend most of their time in the WAFL: Ballantyne, Suban, D.Pearce (has a contract so unlikely he goes unless he does a Priddis)

Clarke who knows, he is the wild card. If he goes I think Griffin stays.

Collins, Ueber, Duman will all stay I almost guarantee it. We simply don't have enough picks to replace them all on the list and all have shown bits and pieces here and there.

I think one of Grey and Deluca will go and it certainly looks like Deluca at the moment. Agree that Ibo will go and Suban may still be a goner.

Hmmm.
Not sure if I like this. Ballas in particular was a knob at the end of last season and now gets an 1 year deal based on what exactly?
I get you need experienced players to help but they also need to be best 22 and Ballas is so far from automatic selection it annoys me.

I think one of Grey and Deluca will go and it certainly looks like Deluca at the moment. Agree that Ibo will go and Suban may still be a goner.

I'd disagree with you there. I could see it happening but I reckon both will stay. Both have performed well this year, Grey seems to be nominally the choice for the defensive forward spot, and Deluca has been much improved. But the main question for me is what do you use to replace them? If it's a 3rd round rookie place then * that, I think both provide better value than that at this stage. If any one or both doesn't establish themselves in the AFL team next year, that's when i'd cut.

They are sort of competing for the same spot though, so I see your point.

Grey and Deluca may be competing with Ballas for the one spot...if Bennell comes good.

Then again, extending Ballas may be an indication they have doubts on Bennell.

I'm kind of indifferent with DeLuca but I've never watched him that closely, just seems a dime a dozen type.
Grey should be upgraded to the senior list. He's got mojo.
Duman and Uber definitely get another year from me, both could be a bit special.
Clarke, Griff, Dawson out the door. Dan Pearce could be depth I suppose.
I would delist Sheridan but that probably won't happen. Ditto Suban and Ibbo although poor old Igbo is probably gone. Ignominious end for Igbo.
I'd almost be inclined to delist Apeness but I don't know what the medicos do so he may go again I suppose.

9 gone from main list, hopefully two draft picks back.
Yarran - Gone
Griffin - Gone
Dawson - Gone
Ibbotson - Gone
Clarke - Should be Gone
Apeness - Rookie
Suban - Gone

Trade\Gone - Sheridan
Trade\Gone - Balic

Crozier - Keep
Collins- Keep
Ballantyne- Keep (Can't delist everyone, they are handy depth - minimum contract only)
Johnson- Keep (Can't delist everyone, they are handy depth - minimum contract only)
Langdon- Keep
Taberner -Keep
Tucker - Keep

Not sure about players like de Luca, but it would not hurt to create some space on the rookie list so we can draft a mature age ruck.

9 gone from main list, hopefully two draft picks back.
Yarran - Gone
Griffin - Gone
Dawson - Gone
Ibbotson - Gone
Clarke - Should be Gone
Apeness - Rookie
Suban - Gone

Trade\Gone - Sheridan
Trade\Gone - Balic

Crozier - Keep
Collins- Keep
Ballantyne- Keep (Can't delist everyone, they are handy depth - minimum contract only)
Johnson- Keep (Can't delist everyone, they are handy depth - minimum contract only)
Langdon- Keep
Taberner -Keep
Tucker - Keep

Not sure about players like de Luca, but it would not hurt to create some space on the rookie list so we can draft a mature age ruck.
Ape is already contracted for next year and with the change to the rookie rules there is no point in moving him. The rookies can all play next year anyway.

Otherwise I completely agree. Wish Balic would stay :) and hope Sherro and Subes can find new homes and hopefully a pick for us.

I really doubt we'll delist Clarke unless his injuries are unfixable.

He's exactly the kind of player we need at the moment to play backup to Sandi/Darcy.

If he is fit and running at the end of the season I think he'll get a 1 year contract.

Below all current Freo players in descending order from age. Black = keep or contracted for 2018. Red = delist/retire. Green = trade/future unknown.

So by my reckoning we have 4 absolutely gone IMO. Balic highly likely makes 5. I won't understand Suban, Ballas and Johnson getting extensions when we have so much youth, but at the same time understand the need to keep experience. Suban really shouldn't get a contract if we're fair dinkum, just offers nothing.

Edit - Forgot Yarran is already gone, so roughly 6 spots to fill.

The following year I'd imagine Sandilands, Johnson, Pearce will be 100% done. Mundy, Spurr and Ballas would need to wind back the clock to play on in 2019. That essentially wipes out all our 30 year plus players by the start of 2019. Hill will be our oldest at 29 and our next 3 year window probably commences at the start of 2019 peaking at around 2021 when Fyfe and Walter are 29 and all our youngsters are around 24-25 with 100 games under their belts.

Sandilands, Aaron
Johnson, Michael
Mundy, David
Griffin, Jonathon
Dawson, Zac

Pearce, Danyle
Ballantyne, Hayden
Spurr, Lee
Ibbotson, Garrick
Clarke, Zachary
Hill, Stephen
Suban, Nicholas