who stays?

Remove this Banner Ad

Grey. No disrespect to Grey here but I don't think his good attributes will ever outweigh his poor skills.

I think he's been a bit of a elephant in the room for awhile now. He's extremely slow and when he does go full effort there's a 50% chance that the outcome of that play will result in an injury. He will need to put in and have some serious work done this off-season to improve his fitness and his skills or else he's gone at the end of next year.

Grey is this decade's version of McManus. Has the attributes fans love (hard at it, dogged, takes a hit) but lacks some of the facets of a modern day footballer. Should be kept for one more year though.

I can also see them giving griff another year as cover. Clarke is gone. Sandi at the age that injuries are likely and darcy too young. Griff showed tonight that he can still provide the odd chop out.

2017 outs
Yarran, Dawson, ibbo, Clarke.

Trade/fa options
Suban, Sheridan, Taberner, Balic, Sutcliffe, Collins.

No need to do any upgrading from rookie list with new rookie rules. May as well keep entire list as is and recruit 4 to 6 from the national draft.

2018 will see the end of griff, d Pearce, sandi, ballas, Spurr and probably Mundy

if Suban and Sutcliffe have any trade value i would be happy to part with them.if they don't have trade value in the last couple of weeks they have both shown enough to warrant a spot on the list as back up but not a part of the best 22

Pretty crazy to compare these two lists. The first was our starting line up in 2016. The second will more than likely be our starting lineup at the beginning of next year. How's the changes in just a 2 years?? Bolded are the players that have lasted for both lists. In my opinion only 5 players have stayed to be best 22 by the start of next year. It also shows just how cut throat it is to be an afl player.

Round 1 2016

C Pearce Dawson Spur
Ibbotson Johnson Sutcliffe
D Pearce Fyfe S Hill
Walters Taberner Mayne
Ballas Pav Neale
Ruck Sandi Mundy Barlow.

Int Mzungu, Suban, Clarke, De beor,

Round 1 2018 (prediction)
Logue Hamling Hughes
Weller A Pearce Ryan
B Hill Fyfe S Hill
Walters
McCarthy Bennell
Grey McGovern Darcy
Ruck Sandi Blakely Neale

Int
Tucker, , Mundy, Johnson Crozier

McGovern doesn't play for Fremantle and chances are he never will. So its hard to understand how hes already in our best 22.

Pretty crazy to compare these two lists. The first was our starting line up in 2016. The second will more than likely be our starting lineup at the beginning of next year. How's the changes in just a 2 years?? Bolded are the players that have lasted for both lists. In my opinion only 5 players have stayed to be best 22 by the start of next year. It also shows just how cut throat it is to be an afl player.

Round 1 2016

C Pearce Dawson Spur
Ibbotson Johnson Sutcliffe
D Pearce Fyfe S Hill
Walters Taberner Mayne
Ballas Pav Neale
Ruck Sandi Mundy Barlow.

Int Mzungu, Suban, Clarke, De beor,

Round 1 2018 (prediction)
Logue Hamling Hughes
Weller A Pearce Ryan
B Hill Fyfe S Hill
Walters
McCarthy Bennell
Grey McGovern Darcy
Sandi Blakely Neale

Int
Tucker, , Mundy, Johnson Crozier

That's an incredible sign of the changes that the club has gone through in such a short time. You could have placed Kersten at full forward instead of McGovern and the changes would be the same. Including Mundy and Johnson on the interchange means you really have 7 players retained.

Compare the 2016 team list to round 1 2014 (exactly 2 years between each game):
Barlow, Sandilands, Mzungu, Mundy, D Pearce, de Boer, Johnson, Pavlich, Walters, S Hill, Sutcliffe, Spurr, Fyfe, Ballantyne, Mayne, Dawson, Neale all played in round 1 2014 and 2 years later.

Only 5 players: Crowley, Duffield, McPharlin, Sheridan and Hannath didn't stay in the team. Were we too stable in that time?

From 2014 to the 2018 lineup, the same 7 players you highlighted would have survived over the four years.

McGovern doesn't play for Fremantle and chances are he never will. So its hard to understand how hes already in our best 22.
Replace Mcgovern with Kerstin. Still the same amount of changes.....that was the point I was trying to make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back