Who to play this weekend?

Remove this Banner Ad

Visro

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2000
Well most players gave a good account of themselves this weekend and an even better sign is that a lot of youngsters were good in the WAFL.

Information from watching SD's vs Sub and reading paper:

Gaspar apparently very good. 22 possesions and 7 marks (from memory)

Sampi kicked two goals and was one of the best on ground for Souths.

Hunter played half a game at FB and performed well and managed to kick 3 goals in the half he played forward.

Munro picked up 40 odd possesions for SD's and was BOG.

Will any of these play against Collingwood? Williams looked flat on the weekend though it wasn't entirely his own fault. The rest performed quite well. Difficult situation for the selection commitee! :eek:

Well this is a conundrum the match comittee certainly havent faced in the last two seasons. A game where no-one was down on form enough to warrant immediate changes. I thought Williams wasnt too bad before he got shat on by the lesser Longmuir of the two. He may be rested for a week anyhow if anything serious came of it. I would consider bringing in Humm for Taylor maybe, but that being said Taylor had a good start to the game and it was only in the second half that Medhurst got away from him, coupled with a couple of errors but I dont know if it warrants being dropped.

Just looking at the new WAFL website (which is heap better than the old one). Some stats:

T Gaspar:

19 kicks
3 handballs
7 marks
3 behinds
4 tackles

Looks like he had a pretty damn good game. Was an emergency for the derby so he could easily be called up.

A Sampi:

8 kicks
5 handballs
1 mark
2 goals, 1 behind
5 tackles

I'd like a bit more to see if he's consistent.

K Green:

13 kicks
7 handballs
8 marks

Solid game but doesn't really warrant selection.

K Munro:

15 kicks
10 handballs
7 marks
1 tackle

Could possibly be called up but would probably be behind Judd who is already struggling to get in.

A Hunter:

11 kicks
3 handballs
5 marks
3 goals, 1 behind
3 tackles

Had a pretty good game. See if he can back it up next week.

A Hansen:

5 kicks
3 handballs
2 marks
1 tackle

He tried hard but the heat looked like it got to him.

J Wooden:

10 kicks
12 handballs
3 marks
2 behinds

Don't need him at the moment.

D Sierrakowski:

15 kicks
1 handball
5 marks
3 behinds
1 tackle

Will need to do more for senior selection.

D Haynes:

9 kicks
4 handballs
3 marks
2 behinds
2 tackles

Didn't have the best of weeks.

C Judd:

8 kicks
7 handballs
4 goals
15 tackles

Deserves selection but who to replace?

J Humm:

6 kicks
6 handballs
1 mark
7 tackles

Another few solid weeks and then we'll see.

Q Lynch:

6 kicks
3 handballs
3 marks

Buszan towelled him up a bit.

Players that appear to not have played any football this weekend:

A McDougall - injured?
A McCarrey - injured?
T Carroll - injured?
Rudeforth - injured?
Beeck - who cares
Seaby - haven't heard of him at all yet
Harding - same as Beeck

The players that I therefore believe warrant a possible call up, in order:

T Gaspar
C Judd
K Munro
A Hunter

A Williams is the only one who comes to mind on who to drop though.

Nice round up there Vis...oh and are you gonne be in the BF Eagles player of the year or what?

I think if Williams recovers from the knock which i think he will be fine as im pretty sure he came back on later in the game and kicked a goal? To be honest all looked to be pretty good so why drop anyone.

If everyones fit i say take the same team.

Thanks for the info, Vis.

There's going to be a real battle for the Ruckman/Forward spot in the side that Tuckey is currently filling.
Tuckey along with Siera and Gaspar are the main three in contention, but I would expect Andrew McDougall to join them later in the year.

Siera is probably the one likely to come into the side soon. Woosh seems to have a high opinion of him, and he's the more experienced.
But I'd like to see both Gaspar and McDougall to be given chances this year. Very important parts of the future side.

And I think Chambers, Williams or Jones are the ones under pressure to keep their spot ahead of Judd.

Kane Munro is also putting himself in the mix with some great performances with Swans. I think he's still a year off from being a regular though. Still very skinny.

Apologies to EF for posting this arrogant opinion and a rider that it is my own and not that of any other on this forum :mad:

Woosha will play the team best suited to the opposition. So sometimes guys who you think are one of our best 22 will not play.

I think the local derby was the wrong time to give Judd his debut but I think he will play. Sierra and Gaspar are not fully match fit and are unlikeley to figure until round 4-5 and Haynes is carrying a niggling injury.

Woosha has also said you have to perform or you're out.

We played open footy against Freo, no tags. It will be different against the Pies. Buckley will be tagged and Rowan Jones may well get the job. Glass, Milli and Jako will have to stand up against their talls.
I think Judd will be the only change. Williams, Merenda and Tuckey are possible ommissions.

As a matter of disagreement with other members opinions on this thread I thought Chambers and Taylor were terrific on Sunday and couldn't imagine either being ommitted.

Chambers is slack and doesn't man up - that is why he always seems to be in the right place when the ball is in the forward line. I seem to think that he was on McManus in the second quarter when he ran riot......I believe that Judd should come in for Chambers, Gaspar in for Tuckey.

Originally posted by Frodo
Apologies to EF for posting this arrogant opinion and a rider that it is my own and not that of any other on this forum :mad:

Woosha will play the team best suited to the opposition. So sometimes guys who you think are one of our best 22 will not play.

I think the local derby was the wrong time to give Judd his debut but I think he will play. Sierra and Gaspar are not fully match fit and are unlikeley to figure until round 4-5 and Haynes is carrying a niggling injury.

Woosha has also said you have to perform or you're out.

We played open footy against Freo, no tags. It will be different against the Pies. Buckley will be tagged and Rowan Jones may well get the job. Glass, Milli and Jako will have to stand up against their talls.
I think Judd will be the only change. Williams, Merenda and Tuckey are possible ommissions.

As a matter of disagreement with other members opinions on this thread I thought Chambers and Taylor were terrific on Sunday and couldn't imagine either being ommitted.

Frodo

You're most welcome to have an opinion at all times and I don't care if it's different from mine.

My smug and distant assessment from the grandstand is that Chambers, while he apparently has excellent aerobic fitness, doesn't seem to be able to get his body in position to defend quickly enough and is also prone to fumbling.

His strength is that when the physical heat has gone out of the game (eg fourth quarter when we're 3 goals up) he is very damaging and will score or create goals often.

To me this makes him a bit of a luxury player (though nice to have) and generally I think he will struggle to keep his place this year (subject of course to injuries).

On the Derby performance, it's hard to justify dropping anyone. I haven't done the match-up exercise on Collingwood, so will trust Woosha to knock that over in the week.

VOR,
I think you make some good points about Chambers but he is not a close marking/tagging type player.
I think he finds space well and runs all day plus his disposal is probably the most accurate in the squad. He is also still developping.
I believe that a team needs balance and Chambers flair can be part of that balance. At times we also may need to see gritty, workers in the side like Josh Wooden who has possibly the opposite attributes of Chambers.

I cant see anyone getting dropped, we played pretty well and nobody really stood out who had a bad performance. If anything maybe the defence needs a look at, the Dockers did score 19 goals without Farmer and Waterhouse. A concern i would think.

its a hard choice for the selectors, what worried me about the weekend is that even with a much better midfield, Cook and Co were still able to get a fair amount of the football in the middle of the ground

maybe that could warrant Judd to come in to replace another midfielder?? i dont think Tuckey should be omitted unless another forward type player like Sierra is coming in to take his place

I dont see the need for any changes this week. Unless Williams is unfit.

I too have reservations about some players. But all performed OK.

Tuckey would be under pressure from Siera and Gaspar. Thats a good thing. Tuckey did ok with limited opportunity

I suspect that Chambers is a developing player who just needs more experience. Certainly Judd and Wooden would be putting him under pressure

I am worried about Taylor in a back pocket. (Pity about Reid) He doesnt appeal as a natural backman. But he had flexiblity when Collica went back and Taylor went into the midfield to relieve there when players were cramping up. So you could play Collica or Wirra in the back pocket and Kasey Green on a Flank. Green could come in for Williams if thats what they are looking for. A back pocket is OK for Humm but I think we can expect more from him up the field.

There is depth developing there. But the reserves in general are quite raw.Why change a winning combination? I think we had the young guys going in and out far to often in the last few years. Make those not in the team earn the spot by showing some sort of consistency. But if we start to lose we can reward them for effort.

GO EAGLES!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot to mention David Haynes. Where is he at? This is the time for him to step up if he is going to make it. Plenty of ability shown in WAFL but doesnt translate to AFL. Needs to make a Embley type statement such as Embley did on the weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back