Who used to play handball (aka four-square) back in school?

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved playing four square except we usually played six square to allow for more people to play usually we played with our feet though with either a soccer ball or a tennis ball was pretty fun. Also the worst injury sustained during our games was a mate of mine discloating his knee while playing.

We played 4, 6, 8 sqaure and at the start of every lunchtime and recess we had to race to get a spot on the court. Ah good times

We'd play with slightly different rules - if King, Queen or Jack went out, they'd go to dunce, but the person in dunce would be immediately out.

Also sometimes played the soccer variant.

Yeah, thats what we used to do at my school

We also used to play it with a soccer ball, we called it Soccer square :thumbsu:

We called the rallies 'challenges' and they would occur virtually every point.

If King served a ball you didn't like, you could say 'Not accepted' and the king had to re-serve. Similiary if you got aced you could use 'not accepted' however, you only got 1 of those.

King, Queen and Jack all went down to Dunce before going out, so the dunce would have to lose the point before a new player entered, although we sometimes scrapped that if there was a big queue.

The soccer variant was great as well, can't remember what we called it though. For that, we invented a number of new rules, including 'catch in the crowd' where if a ball was kicked high into the players waiting for a turn if one of them was able to catch it they would automatically be substituted into the original kickers square.

Yeah, thats what we used to do at my school

We also used to play it with a soccer ball, we called it Soccer square :thumbsu:

Same here, I remember when the soccer ball became a trend and you had to kick it I got whacked in the nuts a few times lol.

Did anyone else have 'around the world' ?

Basically, when king serves the ball to say dunce, king would call out 'around the world', and then dunce would have to hit it to jack, jack would have to hit it to queen, queen would have to hit it to king, and then king to dunce, and so on.

I enjoyed this part. I remember you'd try and hit it to the next person in such a way that they wouldn't be able to hit it to the following person. That is, you position the ball so it would 'trap' them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost as good as bat tennis.

lol, the only bad thing with bat tennis was it gave the teacher a weapon other than the strap or a cricket bat to whack us with in class. The PE teacher was particularly brutal with it, he'd get you in the sports locker, stand on a milk crate make you hold out your hand and then step off and whack you with it, he'd hit you that hard you'd nearly dislocate your shoulder as your hand went down. Owww, the memories.

As for handball (we called it downball) the best game was when there would be 12 of you, you'd get 5 lives then you'd be out, it'd be last man standing. Often you'd get players right up opposite ends to each other. On a winters morning with a threadbare ball it'd feel like your hand was going to shatter trying to hit it back (we used to pull our jumper sleeves over our hands to make it a bit easier)

We also used to play handball (the Olympic sport one) it's an awesome game to play, fast and skilful.

I'm talking late 70s early 80s here, in Geelong, primary and high school.

Don't forget about British Bulldog either. Brutal but good fun.

Brandy was much more fun but in this age of political correctness and being "nice" to each other I'll bet it's been outlawed :(

Best thing about brandy was when you had a reasonably new ball with plenty of fur still on it and it had been raining the night before. You'd soak it in a puddle to make it nice and heavy then concentrate on one person and hunt them down, stand about 1ft away and let them have it in the guts, butt or thigh, leave a nice raised welt and later a bruise, lol

yea 4 square was great i remember that was thing that pushed you to go to school in the morning it got really competitive.

Did anyone play dodge ball like the dodge ball of the movie that was the king of all games at school.??

Never called dodge ball but two versions, the primary school game of poison ball and the high school game of murder ball.

Am I the only one who remembers playing with the "extra bouncy" green and pink tennis balls? They were the s**t back in year 6.

If we were lucky some kid would talk his parents into buying him one of those multi-coloured spongy/foamy balls, much easier on the hands in winter.

I'm still in high school and play it every recess and lunchtime.

At the end we have a finals last man standing tournament. At the sound of the bell everyone yells out "FINALS!!" and the game goes on, eliminating one person at a time.

Anyone play with the 'poison' rule?

Poison rule: Your square becomes 'poison' and if any one hits the ball into your square, is out.

We used to play with up to twelve players and we had names like Ace, Super Ace and Double Dunce to make up the twelve.

We used to have rallies all the time.

One day I was super ace, the one who served the ball. One of the guys had an awesome throw and he threw the tennis ball back to me at about 100kph. I wasnt expecting it. It got me in the eye and I had to be taken to hospital. I had a black eye for a couple of weeks.

I must be the only person to suffer an injury playing handball.:D

I must be the only person to suffer an injury playing handball.:D

I don't know, I remember two guys at my school getting in a fight over who finished at King at the end of lunch time. One of those when did the bell ring/when did the last rally end sort of things :p

Loved it. We had a massive area at school where up to 20 people were playing at any one time. Also played it at home.

At our school we also played Crash Mat Rounders and Bootball.

Never called dodge ball but two versions, the primary school game of poison ball and the high school game of murder ball.

We had a variation called War ball. Virtually the same thing only the concept was extended so as to have two teams of 20 - 30 going against each other. It was played in an indoor basketball arena (using a hybrid section of 1 main b'ball area + 2 smaller b'ball sections). Teams had to start at the opposite ends, 8 - 10 balls laid out in the center, then whomever has possession of the balls can throw it anywhere bar the head to get the person out.

We used to call it Downball.

We used to play under the verandah using the concrete blocks as squares in primary school. We used to have up to 20 players playing with another 10 on the sidelines. If you got into the top 4 or 6 then you'd stay there pretty much the whole lunch. If you were stupid enough to get out you'd then you pretty much had to go as you would barely get another crack at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back