Moved Thread Who wants a club loan system like the EPL ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the McCarthy situation was intetesting. When he chose to sit out a year the AFL and our club allowed him to train and be a runner for South Fremantle in the WAFL, no-one seemed to seriously consider the prospect of him playing for his old club. The only reason I can see is the AFL not wanting one of it's players in what was, and is still to some extent, a rival competition. I think it was a poor decision assuming South Freo wanted him to play.

I think the notion of AFL clubs loaning players to play at AFL level for someone else is absurd.

I do see a useful purpose in loaning players to a different comp though. The McCarthy situation was unusual but the northern clubs do have an issue with the general standard in the NEAFL. James Stewart is a good example of a player that seemed to be having issues with stepping up to AFL level, and I've no doubt he has benefitted at the Bombers from having a good standard VFL competition to develop in.
He's not alone and if we could at times loan players to stand alone VFL or even WAFL or SANFL teams for a season to develop I can see it would help us and probably the other Northern clubs.

No way!
The loan system in European soccer is nothing we need to copy. It's just an unfettered play thing of the mega rich. Remember soccer has no salary cap, so the big boys buy up big. Chelsea had 38 players out on loan last season, Man City had 28. Ridiculous.

Should the afl bring in a loan concept like they have in soccer? Discuss

yes

anyone not selected for a four week stint (other than injury) should be able to go on loan to another club for the remainder of the season

How often do soccer players get loaned to teams in the same league? I can't ever remember it happening. Man City loaned Mooy to Huddersfield last season, but as soon as they got promoted to the premier league (partly thanks to Mooy) he obviously couldn't continue to play for them on loan. So they sold him to Huddersfield.

How often do soccer players get loaned to teams in the same league? I can't ever remember it happening. Man City loaned Mooy to Huddersfield last season, but as soon as they got promoted to the premier league (partly thanks to Mooy) he obviously couldn't continue to play for them on loan. So they sold him to Huddersfield.

It happens. Arsenal loaned Jack Wilshere to Bournemouth last season, for example.
What often happens is that a clause is placed, whereby the loan player cannot play against their parent club.
So Mooy could have been loaned to Huddersfield Town again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back