Who wants a Republic?

Remove this Banner Ad

Markle seems to have thought that being a princess was like in Disney movies - that she could be a Hollywood celebrity with an additional title. Now that it's become clear that it comes with certain expectations (and not just rewards), off they go.

It's probably not a bad thing for the monarchy to have a 'streamlining' of its public figures.

Markle seems to have thought that being a princess was like in Disney movies - that she could be a Hollywood celebrity with an additional title. Now that it's become clear that it comes with certain expectations (and not just rewards), off they go.

It's probably not a bad thing for the monarchy to have a 'streamlining' of its public figures.
I thought it was a pretty shrewd move from soneone known to be a bit of a thicko. He's his generation's Prince Andrew minus the dubious friendship, his brother is the heir and now he's had kids as well Harry is going to get pushed off to the side more and more. At least over in America he can turn up The View or something equally vacuous as a rent a royal.

I thought it was a pretty shrewd move from soneone known to be a bit of a thicko. He's his generation's Prince Andrew minus the dubious friendship, his brother is the heir and now he's had kids as well Harry is going to get pushed off to the side more and more. At least over in America he can turn up The View or something equally vacuous as a rent a royal.

"financially independent" is interesting. That's about control, taking it away from the monarch and sycophants.

When the queen dies, the UK will have a republican debate

I doubt it.

just as they did in the 30s

Did they?

It's certainly correct that in 1936, following the abdication of Edward VIII, MP James Maxton proposed a "republican amendment" to the Abdication Bill, which would have established a republic in Britain. However only five MPs voted to support the bill which was defeated by 403 votes.

If he wasn't a royal would you be throwing so much attitude at someone you've never met?

There's a fair bit of projection going on here, me thinks.
If you look at the genetics it's difficult to come to any other conclusion. His grandma's own longevity is at least partially attributable to the fact that she's too dull and disinteresting to actually be controversial and his mother was considered stupid even by the aristocracy who for the most part tolerate braying morons as an occupational hazard.

If you look at the genetics it's difficult to come to any other conclusion. His grandma's own longevity is at least partially attributable to the fact that she's too dull and disinteresting to actually be controversial and his mother was considered stupid even by the aristocracy who for the most part tolerate braying morons as an occupational hazard.

Yeah, I thought so. This is anti-monarchy bias spilling out and that's fine but you're as transparent as an empty vodka bottle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a dumb f***ing squaddie. If he wasn't royal he'd be jobless trying to scam ptsd compo.

One would imagine that if you can pass the onerous Apache attack helicopter training and qualify as an Apache aircraft commander as well as serve two tours of duty in Afghanistan (one as a helicopter pilot / gunner) you'd be able to pick up a job somewhere.

One would imagine that if you can pass the onerous Apache attack helicopter training and qualify as an Apache aircraft commander as well as serve two tours of duty in Afghanistan (one as a helicopter pilot / gunner) you'd be able to pick up a job somewhere.
Gaining all the real world skills required to dump a basket of fries into hot oil.

If Harry and Meghan can leave why the fu** can't we?!
We need queenies "thoughts and prayers" the next time we have a catastrophe in this country, that's why.

If Harry and Meghan can leave why the fu** can't we?!
Because most people aren't really that invested in leaving. Whilst ~50% of people (it fluctuates a bit) support the idea of a republic:
  1. they disagree massively on what that should look like, and
  2. a significant number of them would rather stick with the current model than adopt a republican constitution that isn't their preferred model
This hasn't changed much in the last 20 years.

Until support for a republic is consistently around 70% I can't see a lot of point in holding another referendum. Even then, the republican campaign will need to do a ton of work to get all republicans on the same page about the type of republic they want.

Last edited:
Because most people aren't really that invested in leaving. Whilst ~50% of people (it fluctuates a bit) support the idea of a republic:
  1. they disagree massively on what that should look like, and
  2. a significant number of them would rather stick with the current model than adopt a republican constitution that isn't their preferred model
This hasn't changed much in the last 20 years.

Until support for a republic is consistently around 70% I can't see a lot of point in holding another referendum. Even then, the republican campaign will need to do a ton of work to get all republicans on the same page about the type of republic they want.
Yep. In addition to this the challenge of overthrowing the incumbency is difficult. 20 years ago the monarchists were able to run with ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’. With trust in our public officialdom at an all time low they could say ‘do you really want these campaigners to have more power’ OR ‘you may not like the monarchy but they keep a worse alternative from getting their hands on real power.’

I consider myself a republican but I don’t see the point of ‘changing’ if like the ARM wants the only point is to give all the Queen’s power to a GG and the rest of the system stays the same.

The Republican movement should work to have a plebiscite added to the next federal election.

Simply asking "should Australia change to a republic"

Then if that passes, three years later there is another plebiscite at the next federal election offering two or three different models for adoption.

Then if any of them gain 50%+ of the vote that option is taken to the following federal election as a referendum.

Then if that passes, we are a republic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back