Who wants a Republic?

Remove this Banner Ad

The ABC has dispatched a staggering 27 people to the UK to cover the death of Queen Elizabeth II, including three local radio presenters.

The stories they and their commercial colleagues are sharing with us back in Australia are truly wonderful...

How to give out junkets in a way Conservative politicians cant complain about.

I'm confident in the King's ability to self sabotage. I'd also like to hear theist's opinions on god's judgement seeing as how this bloke is supposedly the chosen one. I'm also not sure how many of those vows that he's going to take before his god as monarch we can really believe, he took a bunch at St Paul's in 1981 too and we saw how much they mattered to him.

Australian monarchists are required to stay at home today, curtains drawn, dressed in black, all electronic devices off in solemn mourning for the passing of their Queen.

And who requires that?
The rest of us can treat today like any other public holiday.

I’ll be treating today as I’ll be treating tomorrow’s public holiday

Debating the important things in Parliament today. Ffs.
David Littleproud is now giving his condolence motion.

He’s speaking about the chair the Queen sat on while visiting a homestead in Longreach (western Queensland) and how after she left, it became known as ‘The Throne’ and it is still pointed out to visitors.

Debating the important things in Parliament today. Ffs.

Except they're not debating.

They're offering a motion of condolence for the late Head of State. Motions of condolences are offered by the House of Representatives on the death of the monarch, the Governor-General or a sitting Member of the House of Represenatives or Senator and to anyone who previously held the office of Governor-General, Prime Minister, Speaker of the House, President of the Senate, Leader of the Opposition, ledder of the government in the Senate anfdleader of the Opposition in the Senate.

Condolence motions are also moved following the deaths of distinguished Australians, Heads of State or Government of other countries.

Thank God the Festival of Death is over.

But given new incumbent's age most of us will have to go through the same ritualistic BS within a couple of decades.

You've got the coronation to look forward to in May-June 2023 and then the investiture of the Prince of Wales. And there's a visit to Australia too. That'll be Charles' 17th visit to Australia (His late mother visited 16 times), including two terms at Timbertop, Geelong (from January-August 1966)

You've got the coronation to look forward to in May-June 2023 and then the investiture of the Prince of Wales. And there's a visit to Australia too. That'll be Charles' 17th visit to Australia (His late mother visited 16 times), including two terms at Timbertop, Geelong (from January-August 1966)
I do hope Charlie and his adulterous 'consort' are frequent visitors to Australia in coming years.

Could think of nothing that would push Australia towards becoming a republic faster.

I do hope Charlie and his adulterous 'consort' are frequent visitors to Australia in coming years.

Is that the best you can come up with? 'Adulterous consort'. Does that actually mean anything to anyone?
Could think of nothing that would push Australia towards becoming a republic faster.

And how will it do that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that the best you can come up with? 'Adulterous consort'. Does that actually mean anything to anyone?

Charles' current partner, Camilla Parker Bowles, is the Royal Consort.

And the person who in a TV interview with Jonathon Dimbleby in 1994 Charles admitted to having an adulterous relationship with while still married to his former wife the late Dianna, Princess of Wales.

If Lizzy thought he was even half competent she would have abdicated 20 years ago.

Unless there's something she has written in a journal saying that, you're really just making something up to qualify your assertion.

I think step one for a republic is a plebiscite with a simple question on whether we should have a process to choose a republic model - not straight to the end. Commit the nation to the process if there is enough of a vote in support moving to a republic of any description.
Spend some time working models, vote again and if one of them gets 50%+1 of the vote it goes straight to referendum at the following federal election.

7 year process. 2025 election plebiscite. 2028 election model chosen. 2031 election either run off of model choice or referendum to make it official.

And the person who in a TV interview with Jonathon Dimbleby in 1994 Charles admitted to having an adulterous relationship with while still married to his former wife the late Dianna, Princess of Wales.

There is rumours, might even be recorded somewhere, where Charles said to Dianna "do you really expect me to be the first prince of wales without a mistress" or something to that effect.

Yes? And?

He couldn't even remember the date.
Couldn't use a fountain pen properly.

Big deal. The fountain pen leaked. So? And the date? Its a very common occurence that people ask what day of the week it is or what date it is.
If Lizzy thought he was even half competent she would have abdicated 20 years ago.

No she wouldn't. That is totally made up.

Unless there's something she has written in a journal saying that, you're really just making something up to qualify your assertion.

I think step one for a republic is a plebiscite with a simple question on whether we should have a process to choose a republic model - not straight to the end. Commit the nation to the process if there is enough of a vote in support moving to a republic of any description.
Spend some time working models, vote again and if one of them gets 50%+1 of the vote it goes straight to referendum at the following federal election.

7 year process. 2025 election plebiscite. 2028 election model chosen. 2031 election either run off of model choice or referendum to make it official.

Anything less than a referendum is not binding because a change of the Constitution requires a referendum.
So, step 1 has to be referendum.

Anything less than a referendum is not binding because a change of the Constitution requires a referendum.
So, step 1 has to be referendum.

It's binding because the overwhelming public support will become a political issue. The constitution change requiring a referendum is not relevant.

The only risk of a plebiscite is that it might show people aren't that interested in it. If it comes back with 60%+ then the major parties will know it's a winning policy.

The process isn't going to rush to the finish of the referendum without a comfortable model in place - that's why the last one failed. With the plebiscite the power of democracy will make it happen.

Big deal. The fountain pen leaked. So? And the date? Its a very common occurence that people ask what day of the week it is or what date it is.

No she wouldn't. That is totally made up.

Unless you've read her journal you can't dispute what I said with anymore more certainty than the claim I made.
Other than that, it is basic commonsense.
You wrote millions of words about how her role is ceremonial.
Her age has been a barrier to her travelling around the commonwealth for at least 20 years.
The only people that don't retire & pass on the baton are the ones with kids who can't be trusted with the legacy.
She just paid 20 mil to keep one of her dolt sons out of jail.
It isn't rocket science.

It's binding because the overwhelming public support will become a political issue. The constitution change requiring a referendum is not relevant.

The only risk of a plebiscite is that it might show people aren't that interested in it. If it comes back with 60%+ then the major parties will know it's a winning policy.

The process isn't going to rush to the finish of the referendum without a comfortable model in place - that's why the last one failed. With the plebiscite the power of democracy will make it happen.

Anything less than referendum isn't binding because it doesn't meet the 'manner & form' requirements that a change to Constitution MUST have.
i.e we can't change the Constitution in any other way than what the Constitution prescribes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back